L'Oreal Hair Colour

Don't be afraid to try coloring your hair yourself!! I use Garnier Nutrisse hair color and it works great and the colors are beautiful--people can't believe I color it myself. I have also used Loreal products but I like the Garnier product better because it doesn't dry out your hair. Before coloring it myself I was paying big bucks to color my hair with a "professional" and it didn't look any better than it does now. I have not tried the highlighting kit but am thinking about it. There is a highlight kit that you can buy separately with the cap and the tool, that way it is harder to mess it up (it is called creme lights by loreal). I think the highlight wand might be more difficult to use but I have never tried it. Another suggestion would be to color it yourself and go to the professional for highlights. That also will save you some cash.

Anyways, don't be afraid to try it. Just be sure to get the right color (you can go online to the Garnier website and plug in some info to find out whats the right color for you)! Goodluck!!

I've used it several times and been happy each time, and I'm in the same boat as you--I just can't afford the salon visits on anything like a regular basis. What someone else mentioned with this kit is true--the highlights really do coordinate with the base color, which hasn't always been true when I've used a base color and then a separate highlighter later. It's also really convenient to have it all packaged together. And I like the highlighter applicator in this kit better than the highlighter Feria provides--I used that one last and wouldn't use it again.

I have been coloring my hair myself for about 10 years. I have been using this kit for a little over a year with very good results. Personally I think the key to getting good results w/ home hair coloring is to not deviate too far from your natural color. My natural color is dishwater blonde. I had used this kit on my hair in my avatar pic. I also thinking that doing highlights yourself works better on lighter colored hair. Before I found this kit I tried another highlighting kit with not so good results.

Oh Shelley...I really feel for you. I used that particular kit and I have to tell you, IT WAS A DISASTER!! I'm not saying that you shouldn't try it for yourself, but I would truly stay away from the highlighting part of it.

I know exactly what you mean about the salon, though. I have to go every 6 weeks for a trim and root touch-up, which runs about $80.00 (after tip). And every other visit (every 12 weeks) I get touch-up color, trim and foiled highlighting (runs about $130 with tip). And those prices do not include the products that I buy to maintain it. Add about another $100.00

Now, I must add I ADORE my stylist and she is worth every single penny, and my hair has never looked better than it does now. But, I know if I were a single Mom, I could not afford it.

So...long story...I think you can get nice results with the L'oreal...just stay away from the highlights!!

Shel...I saw someone above mentioned Redken shampoo and conditioner...it's the best and it works great. I think that THAT is worth the splurge. It will help your hair look great while using the L'Oreal. JMHO.

Love ya Shel!!:)

This is professional advice.
I probably fix 4 or 5 people a week that try color at home.
Loreal is semi metallic. Ferria is even worse.I have had people that used Ferria and gotten too dark. You cannot bleach it up it heats up and smokes, literally. You can't perm over Ferria.
Loreal covers well, but is harsh.
Then we have the chunking paint on hightlights,which usually ends up to be big hunks of brassy blonde that looks like someone threw it at you.
If you are only going one color you should be ok.If you are going to try the paint on crap, don't. It is not that easy. I have been doing it for 23 years and i won't paint on bleach without a cap or foil.
If you are looking for tri-dimensional color you will have a mess without someone doing it.
Remember , normal people grow 1/2 inch of hair a month. 6 inches a year.
It can take a long time to grow out a head of fried hair.No conditioner in the world will repair it,only make it manageable.

Good luck,
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8227804&uid=3969941

Anne... I think that is really great advice. It's nice to have an expert confirm what we feared. I know my hair is in MUCH better shape now.

I have found the Garnier line to be the best hair colour I have ever used, and I use their Pure Color line, and it doesn't burn my scalp the way Loreal does. If you have long hair, their Long and Strong shampoo and conditioner are great.

I know it's expensive, but I also feel it's worth it to have it done professionally. I had the most gorgeous soft hair before I started coloring it at home. I used good ones too - L'Oreal and Garnier among them. My stylist told me for years the complaints I had about tons of hair falling out in the shower and my hair being dry all the time were from the home coloring. We laugh now about how long it took me to finally believe her. Within three months of my letting her color it my hair was back to its normal silky texture. It doesn't fall out in gobs anymore either. I can't believe how much damage I did to it, but at least it's reversible. The way I figure it, in the long run I'm saving money because I was spending a fortune on conditioners and Rogaine (I thought it was thinning hair when it wasn't - it was just falling out from being so damaged!!) and hot oil treatments, etc., none of which worked. Now I can go longer between colors because the salon colors last up to three weeks longer for me than the boxes in the drugstore ever did (she said they would but I never believed that either!!) and once in a while I splurge with highlights. I get my acrylic nails filled faithfully once every two weeks at $25 a pop, so why can't I spend that much a month on my hair too? It's worth it to me to have my "normal" hair texture back.

Carol
:)

I changed my avatar because I remembered that I had a newer picture on my photo bucket account. The new picture was taken shortly after I had colored my hair with the Loreal kit. I had some problems with brassiness or dry hair with other brands/kits but I haven't had any problems with the Loreal kit. I only get my hair cut about three times a year and usually end up going to a different hair stylist every time. I have consistently had hairstylists comment on how healthy my hair is. I think it is because I rarely blow dry my hair and I never use heated styling tools anymore. I have a drawer full of curling irons, hot rollers, flat irons, etc that I should probably fling because I can't remember the last time I used any of them.

Everyone's hair is different of course and YMMV. Where I live it would cost me at least $100 a pop to get my hair colored and highlighted and I just can't afford that every six weeks. Plus my DH works crazy hours and it would be really hard for me to get to the hairdresser on that kind of regular schedule. It is a lot easier for me to do it myself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.