Looking for suggestions/help

Marie1120

Cathlete
I have just about all of Cathe's DVDs but also have Cathe on Demand but sadly don't know the content and all the best options with these. I am looking for strength training for upper body (emphasis on arms) that just uses dumbbells. Standing preferred. I have a knee issue so can't get up and down right now. I have been looking at getting a bench (that folds for storage) but don't have that at this time. I am looking to build muscle but want to keep the workouts 20-30 minutes. Have you done any that you would recommend that meet these criteria? Thanks! Also open to bench recommendations.

All I could recommend is since you have OnDemand you can use the Workout Blender and use that to create your own workouts. Since you want to do 20 to 30 minutes, you can go to her different workouts and piece to gather what you want to work on with your upper body. But, mine suggestion always have like a five minute warm up and a five minute cool down like stretching. Don’t ever leave a workout without stretching your muscles afterwards. Also, if you are seriously thinking about your upper body do like one day shoulders, chest and triceps, and then your back. I probably left out some. But, I would do like shoulders like day 1 and then do something different on day 2 and then day 3 chest and triceps and day 4 something different and day 5 back area and day 6 something and day 7 rest or do stretching or yoga. If you continually do like shoulders for seven days a week you are going to get sore and hate it because you will get tired. You need to rest the muscles too. One thing about Cathe is her upper body workouts are awesome.
For the days that are different, you can do something like take a walk or go for a swim. You said you had something wrong with your knees. Swimming you use a lot of upper body and it is easy on the joints. I am not a trainer, but maybe it might help. Also, I have found for me, I have knee problems doing squats like Cathe does in her dvds with dumbbells actually helps my knee pain. I don’t use the weight she does, but it does help believe it or not. Also, by doing the squat it self may help.

Hope this has help,

Jen Den

Sorry I reread that you just can stand, so squats would be a no go. But, maybe you can find a way you could go swimming. But, I don’t know. I hope you feel better! Jen Den

Thanks for the responses, Jen Den. I might be able to do a slight squat - it is just hard to get up and down from the floor or a low bench (like the step bench) with the meniscus tear. My favorite Cathe weight workout is a real oldie - Power Hour. I haven't done that one in ages and probably couldn't do now and I would have to modify with dumbbells. But hoping to explore more and find some new favorites. I agree that her upper body workouts are awesome!

Thanks for the responses, Jen Den. I might be able to do a slight squat - it is just hard to get up and down from the floor or a low bench (like the step bench) with the meniscus tear. My favorite Cathe weight workout is a real oldie - Power Hour. I haven't done that one in ages and probably couldn't do now and I would have to modify with dumbbells. But hoping to explore more and find some new favorites. I agree that her upper body workouts are awesome!
Hi! I was looking at Cathe’s Travel Fit. There are some arm exercises with the band you can try. Instead of walking while you do the arm exercises without walking. You can piece it in the workout blender with your other workout. There are other exercises, but they require you use your knees.

You may want to check out Travel Fit and see if you want to use those and modify. Remember you don’t have to do them all.

Thanks For Commenting! Jen Den

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.