Lisa G and the Heavy Weights

Daphne M

Cathlete
HI Lisa G! I know my subject heading made no sense, but I liked the way it sounded. Like an old fashioned rock and roll band, you know?

You were asking about how other home exercisers lift a heavy barbell over their head for squats and I thought I would jump in with my own experience. I don't have a spotter or a rack.

About a year ago, I topped out at a 50-pound barbell on my shoulders for PS SLA. I knew my legs were capable of doing more, but when I tried to get the danged thing over my head, I lost some scalp in the process. Not good. So I decided to concentrate on form and settle for being satisfied with doing 50 pounds. I stuck at 50 pounds, but I went for the maximum contraction on every single rep. Wow! That was tough! That kept me busy and feeling extremely challenged for months and months.

The next time I tried to increase my weight, I was amazed. I lifted 53.5 pounds over my head, no problem. And I've been steadily increasing that weight little-by-little ever since. As always, I know I can handle a lot more weight on my legs than I can lift over my head, but I'm satisfied with the results I get from extreme focus. Maximum contraction on each rep and perfect form gets me better results than fixating on the amount of plates on my barbell. I've found the same thing when I do the machines in the gym -- sometimes I get a better workout on the leg press when I use a lighter weight and go for the maximum muscle contraction. I find I can lift very heavy and keep good form on the leg press, but nothing burns that muscle like a good hard contraction.

One thing that might help with lifting the weight is to try this technique. I do a clean and press type move when I lift the weight over my head. When the barbell is on the way up, my knees are bent as if I am going to do a plyo jump UP and all my energy is directed up. When the barbell reaches about shoulder level, I straighten my legs and keep the bar going up. The momentum helps the bar clear my head easily. I do the same thing when I unload the bar. I always take a moment to gather my strength first -- especially after those sit and stands.

I hope this helps. I love working legs and (call me sick) sit and stands are my favorite.
happy.gif
happy.gif
Enjoy!

Not Lisa but thank you!

I've also wondered about this. I thought my only option was buying a rack or driving an hour to the nearest gym. Thanks for the info!
Andrea

barbells, etc.

I also have a 50# sticking point, using no spotter or racks. After that, manoeuvering the barbell overhead just seemed to risky for my shoulders (history of tendinitis) and my head!. I use heavy dumbbells held at the shoulder (It's easier to do a "cheat" bicep curl, one arm at a time, to get the dumbbells in place than to try to hoist a bar overhead.) Another way of adding intensity with the same amount of weight is to slooow down your reps: instead of taking two counts to go up an down, try three or four. You can also make the same weight feel heavier by doing "pre-exhaust" sets: doing isolation exercises for the various leg muscles before doing squats. For example, if you do leg extensions (can be done at home with ankle weights), then follow with squats, your quads will get extra work.

You can also add reps.

It also depends on what your goals are. My leg muscles tend to bulk so I have no interest in going as heavy as I can. Instead I go for more sets and reps. I do 5 sets of 20 reps on the major leg exercises so I no longer follow a video for the lower body. Believe me, if you do that many reps, you will not need to use extra heavy weights.

Thanks Daphne and everyone else!

Sorry it took so long to respond but I'm back from vacation now...

I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me these pointers. In last week's check-in, I mentioned I had finally managed to get my increased weight barbell to my shoulders without the assistance of my husband. When my husband asked me how I did it, I told him I used a technique that I dubbed the "Lisa Maneuver." It was kind of a modified clean and press movement using momentum and every once of strength I could safely muster up; at the end of the "maneuver", I end up on the balls of my feet -- don't ask me why but for some reason this worked great for me. I didn't hurt my back at all (this was my greatest worry) and I found that, as you mentioned Daphne, taking a moment to summon up my strength and positive energy
happy.gif
helped too!

I am going to keep working on this and will most definitely make use of the tips on making each rep count with excellent form and maximum contraction!!!

Thanks again for everyone's helpful advice,
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.