Light weights to failure - does it work for anyone? Like old Jari Love workouts?

CaraJ

Hi everyone, I'm not on here very much and I want to get back into regular strength training. I am 51 and have been postmenopausal for years (happened early for me). I know there are so many benefits to heavy lifting but I don't know that I feel up to it right now. Is anybody having success/results with light weights to failure? Thanks. Also, has anyone done Fitness with PJ on YouTube?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm not on here very much and I want to get back into regular strength training. I am 51 and have been postmenopausal for years (happened early for me). I know there are so many benefits to heavy lifting but I don't know that I feel up to it right now. Is anybody having success/results with light weights to failure? Thanks. Also, has anyone done Fitness with PJ on YouTube?
Hi! I’m 47, will be 48 in 3 months and I’m about a year post menopausal. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in that situation because it was very upsetting when I was told at age 40 that my FSH was consistent with menopause. The only menopausal symptom I ever had was irregular to eventually absent periods. I use natural progesterone cream 21 days on , 7 days off as well as vitamin d3 and K2 for bone density.

As far as light weight/high reps, from 2006-2009, I was hooked on the Jari Love dvd series called Get Ripped. That’s what really got me into weight training. Then Jari took her workouts in a different direction that I wasn’t crazy about and I discovered Cathe at about that same time. But I still have 5 Get Ripped DVD’s that are the best IMO and just may dust them off one day. My favorite Jari Love dvd was Get Ripped 1000 because it mixed high rep/light weights with hiit style cardio intervals. Actually I just might try a few of them because I’ve been lifting heavy for so long not only would it be a change to my routine but a chance to gauge fitness gains.

Hope that helps and welcome!

Hi! I’m 47, will be 48 in 3 months and I’m about a year post menopausal. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in that situation because it was very upsetting when I was told at age 40 that my FSH was consistent with menopause. The only menopausal symptom I ever had was irregular to eventually absent periods. I use natural progesterone cream 21 days on , 7 days off as well as vitamin d3 and K2 for bone density.

As far as light weight/high reps, from 2006-2009, I was hooked on the Jari Love dvd series called Get Ripped. That’s what really got me into weight training. Then Jari took her workouts in a different direction that I wasn’t crazy about and I discovered Cathe at about that same time. But I still have 5 Get Ripped DVD’s that are the best IMO and just may dust them off one day. My favorite Jari Love dvd was Get Ripped 1000 because it mixed high rep/light weights with hiit style cardio intervals. Actually I just might try a few of them because I’ve been lifting heavy for so long not only would it be a change to my routine but a chance to gauge fitness gains.

Thank you for the reply. Yes that is exactly what happened with me right after I turned 40. Stopped having periods altogether around 44. I do take HRT because I have Osteoporosis in my spine, one reason why I don't want to go too heavy. I will look at the natural progesterone cream option. Also same with the Jari Love, my favorite is Ripped and Chiseled but I couldn't get into the newer workouts either. I did try her membership on her streaming, there are a few workouts similar to the old ones but not enough to make me want to keeping using it.

Thank you for the reply. Yes that is exactly what happened with me right after I turned 40. Stopped having periods altogether around 44. I do take HRT because I have Osteoporosis in my spine, one reason why I don't want to go too heavy. I will look at the natural progesterone cream option. Also same with the Jari Love, my favorite is Ripped and Chiseled but I couldn't get into the newer workouts either. I did try her membership on her streaming, there are a few workouts similar to the old ones but not enough to make me want to keeping using it.
Thank you so much for sharing. I remember in the months leading up to turning 40 in October 2016, I noticed that my periods were getting a bit irregular and finally when I saw my gynecologist in March 2017, I came to his office with a period journal for the entire year. He checked FSH, thyroid and a few other things that I can't remember, but menopause was the farthest thing from my mind. I thought it was stress from work, drinking a bit too much and maybe working out a little too hard because all those were true at the time. When his office called and said your FSH is consistent with menopause, I burst into tears and sunk into a bit of a depression. I was still having periods every now and then and they were wanting to put me on HRT, which I later found out is the worst thing you can because if there's menstrual flow, there's still plenty of estrogen to thicken the uterine lining.

While dealing with some ovarian cysts, I discovered the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause by Dr. John Lee. I've been using natural progesterone cream since April 2021 and use it on a 21 days on 7 days off cycle. I currently use Organic Excellence brand because it was the only one I found that didn't contain other junk in it like parabens and Phenoxyethanol. I considered vaginal estrogen for dryness and some sex issues, but was still too afraid to take it because of having dense fibrocystic breasts and risk of cancer. I discovered a product called Neueve, which is a alternative to vaginal estrogen and have been using it since January and I think its helping. I also use vaginal dilators to help prevent any atrophy. Sorry if this is TMI, but we're ladies here and this is part of life. If any of my experience can help someone else, I'm all for it.

I agree about Jari Love. I loved her original Ripped DVD's: Slim & Lean, Ripped 1000, Ripped To the Core, and Ripped and Chiseled although that one is a bit on the long side. I remember being so excited about Get Extremely Ripped back in 2009 and it was a major disappointment and I tried a few of the others and didn't like them. But, I just might give the older Get Ripped dvd's another look. Best to you.

I am going to buy the book by Dr. John Lee. Not TMI at all, I think I have had these same issues (except for the ovarian cysts) for so long I had resigned myself to it and just get my mammograms every year and hope the benefits of the HRT outweigh the risks. You've given me some suggestions of what to try instead so thank you. I haven't used my DVD player in years but am going to start a Jari Love/high rep rotation - maybe one of her older workers 3 times a week. I'm excited to have a plan again. Best to you as well

I have the Jari DVDs and like them as well, but there is no one like Cathe!!!

My menopause started when I was about 45. I still have hot flashes and night sweats although not as bad as I used to. My doctor told me some people have them for life. My mom and sister only suffered for a few years with theirs.

I am going to buy the book by Dr. John Lee. Not TMI at all, I think I have had these same issues (except for the ovarian cysts) for so long I had resigned myself to it and just get my mammograms every year and hope the benefits of the HRT outweigh the risks. You've given me some suggestions of what to try instead so thank you. I haven't used my DVD player in years but am going to start a Jari Love/high rep rotation - maybe one of her older workers 3 times a week. I'm excited to have a plan again. Best to you as well
You’re so welcome! One other issue was that I was never able to get pregnant. I was married to my first husband and we weren’t trying to and we weren’t trying not to, at the time I just figured that I was running too much , although I never lost my period due to exercise.

When I began tracking my periods , I realized my cycle was more like 21 days rather than 28, but because i was already in my 30’s, remarried with no intention of having children I just felt like it was ok.

I just might pull my Jari DVD’s out of my closet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.