Lift lower with STS vs Slow & Heavy

KellyMarie65

Cathlete
I was discouraged starting STS yesterday. I can lift so much heavier with the slow & heavy series, I had to drop down for STS. Also, the amount of moving equipment around is something to get used to. I had to hit pause "alot". Anyone else find they had to lift lighter when starting?

I don't have Slow & Heavy so I can't compare my starting weights. But remember that Meso 1 is endurance. Maybe the weights you start with in Slow & Heavy will be more comparable to the heavier weights in Meso 2 or 3.

Yes, I have to hit pause A LOT with STS to switch out plates and move equipment around. Hopefully I'll get more efficient, but truthfully sometimes I don't mind hitting pause because it gives me a chance to catch my breath. :)

I don't have Slow & Heavy so I can't compare my starting weights. But remember that Meso 1 is endurance. Maybe the weights you start with in Slow & Heavy will be more comparable to the heavier weights in Meso 2 or 3.

Yes, I have to hit pause A LOT with STS to switch out plates and move equipment around. Hopefully I'll get more efficient, but truthfully sometimes I don't mind hitting pause because it gives me a chance to catch my breath. :)

Maybe it is because it's endurance. Hitting pause makes me feel like I'm taking too many breaks lol I don't know, I was going to go back to gym styles but I'll do legs tomorrow and see how I do.

What helps me with being able to make the changes quicker during Meso 1 is to go through my workout card ahead of time and make notes as to what combination of weights I need for exercises that are for a weight that I can't just pick up and use. So, say I'm supposed to use 9 lbs. I note in the notes column that I need 8 + 1 lb wrist weight (ww). Then I set up all my equipment including the weights I need, the wrist weights, band, stability ball, mat, bench etc. The more easily accessible things are the smoother everything goes. I did Disk 4 today and I only had to pause briefly a couple times.

ITA with Cathy. As soon as I am done with an exercise I am looking at my work out card to see what weights I need for the next exercise. I am getting more and more efficient at setting up with every work out. I still pause but not nearly as much as I did when I first started! FYI: I am doing the 6.5 month rotation and about to do disc 7 for the 2nd time tmrw. :)

And as for S&H. I did those work outs before. FWIW, you really can't compare that to Meso 1 STS. Not at all. Totally different styles of training. :)

I have screw-based weights (i.e. ones where you have to keep screwing and unscrewing the bolts to put the weights on). Meso 1 was a nightmare! Constant pausing... there were the occassional dvd's that were not so bad. Major issue is my barbell, which has a much longer thread to the screw.

However: Meso 2 is proving much easier. There are 1 minute breaks between exercises, so plenty of time to undo and redo. My only problem has been back off sets, where I have had to do a bit of pausing (I ended up dropping my weight by about 25-30% rather than the 40% as I had to pause for a bit, and was going a similar time to Cathe).

Essentially, stick with it, I'm getting results despite the stop starting in meso 1!

Glad I'm not the only one who has to hit the pause button even though I've prepared my weights ahead of time. I figured Meso 2 would be easier with the longer rest, so I'm looking forward to it!

I was discouraged starting STS yesterday. I can lift so much heavier with the slow & heavy series, I had to drop down for STS. Also, the amount of moving equipment around is something to get used to. I had to hit pause "alot". Anyone else find they had to lift lighter when starting?

I lift pretty heavy and for the first Meso cycle dropped down as I was doing more sets/reps.
I use bowflex which makes changing weights for dumbells easier

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.