letter of resignation

sherryc

Cathlete
Hi everyone, my daughter is going to quit her part-time job and was wondering if she can send her letter thru email rather than in person. Email is how her manager corresponds with her and also how her job interview was arranged. This job has not been a pleasant experience at all for her.
Thanks for the help
Sherry

Kudos to her for even considering to write a letter of resignation. So many younger people just do not show up. I think in this case, through email is fine. In fact I've done letters like that over email for full time jobs - but I'm in the computer industry and it's standard.

After reading responses - I did want to add one comment - I will always speak to my manager first and let him/her know that I do plan to resign. I meant as opposed to a formal letter, and email will do.

I'm old fashioned. She should give at least two weeks notice. She should ask to meet with her boss verbally tell him and give him the letter for administrative purposes. I feel exit interviews are very important

On the flip side how would people feel if they were fired by email, im etc? Its just plain rude in my book.

I say email is fine in this case. It's good practice to get in the habit of learning how to resign properly but since there seems to be bad blood with this job, it's part time, and most of the business practices seem to go through email (hiring,interviewing, etc.)--resigning through email seems fine.

Allison

In person. After she resigns in person, she can follow up with the email letter, if she likes. Regardless of her experience with this manager/employer, the world is a very small place. She should leave in the most professional manner - even part-time jobs can "come back." I've seen it too many times - people run into people.
I've run into people I had casual meetings with in one place, only to run into them somewhere else, literally half way across the country. You just never know.

I agree it should be in person because I feel that is most professional. When I left my previous job, I resigned via email because my boss was out of town for the week and there was no one else that I could talk to in person.

As a Human Resources Manager, if someone resigned via email, I would be very surprised. The managers in my organization, I am certain, would appreciate an offical letter or note but also preceeded by the verbal resignation. It is just a best practice. I realize it has been a hard time for her, but she will feel better about herself, in fact, by doing it the professional way. Best of luck to her.

Clarissa

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. We have agreed that it will be better to deliver it in person and end it on a positive note, no matter how difficult it may be.
Thanks again
Sherry

I personally think you need a two week notice and a resignation letter in hard copy with your signature. People are pretty tough about this stuff. My daughter worked at McDonald's for 4 months and resigned. If she hadn't given two weeks notice they would have told potential employees that she "was NOT eligible for rehire!"

Also another HR Manager - I think it is great you are teaching her the best way from the get go.

It will only make her a better person in the future.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.