Les Mills Pump

jengollf

Cathlete
This was the next program on my to buy list when I became obsessed with Cathe workouts so I never ended up buying it. Well, I currently still love my huge Cathe collection and still don't want to do anything else. But I am also still interested in getting Pump at some point. Has anyone here done Pump? What does is compare to? Is it strength training or more of a high reps workout? Or more metabolic weight training? Trying to figure out how it should be used if I do end up buying it.

Hi jengollf,

I have Les Mills Pump and its awesome. Its a low weight high rep workout done with a barbell. I guess that makes it more of a metabolic weight workout in that respect and does have a bit more of a cardio element because of that with the met value being 6.50 which is consistant with cathe's high reps in the workout calendar. I remember being pleasantly surprised that everyone in the Pump dvds are all instructors and all demonstrate perfect form. They also show a modifier for each and every exercise and they do stress many times during the workout for you to use the weight that helps you to be successful. The guys always go heavier but they do show the ladies using #5,#10 or both on each side which ever weight selection is going to be effective and good for you. This is not a barbell workout that aims to lift as heavy as you can. So, its more about muscle tone and muscle endurance type of workout. The music is very inspiring and sets the mood as fun and pumps you up raring to do the workout. All the instructors are upbeat and take turns doing different tracks of the workouts. Les Mills was the first of Les Mills workouts to be carried by beach body and in my mind the first weight workout I've seen with the exception of Cathe weight workouts that the form and the correct safe way to lift was emphasized throughout. I give it very high marks and continue to do it beyond finishing the rotation. I've even used some of the shorter workouts in Pump along with Combat. My reasoning on that is that Combat uses a lot of shoulder and core work so I decided against doing any weight workouts that isolates specific muscle groups such as chest only wt. work, etc... for combat keeping it more of a muscle endurance total body is a good complement and keeping the weight work under 51 minutes seemed to be a good mix for me but only do BB workouts 3 times a week with a cardio day in between. I even used #1 each hand weighted gloves for Combat workouts. I do caution you that Combat does not recommend weighted gloves nor doing a weight workout along with it. I think you just need to be careful and not get too crazy. I'm very pleased and impressed with both Les Mills Pump and Combat workouts and I did get the extra bonus workouts besides and think they were worth it. You can also check out Les Mills and check out there body pump workout clips to give you an idea what they are like. I like both purchases from BB of the Les Mills Products and hope they put out more Pump and Combat workouts in the future. In my opinion if you like high reps low weight muscle endurance workouts with excellent form and great music this is for you. I love it but that's my opinion. Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy the workout. ;)

Take care;)

Nora

I have the LMP workouts also and agree with the above poster. I think she pretty much explained it all. They are fun. There is no dread. I like the hi reps low weight. You can order them thru BB without the barbell which brings down the cost. I only have the weight workouts. I finished the rotation and am still doing them mixing them in with other things.

Thanks for the great reply. Now I am wanting it really bad again! It sounds like they can be used as either high reps or metabolic weight training depending on how much weight you use? For instance, when I do workouts like Afterburn or CF/TTM, I count them as cardio and will do a strength workout the day before or after, but when I do workouts like High Reps/Bootcamp/etc, I count them as strength/endurance and won't do another strength workout the day before or after (though I would do a metabolic weight training workout the day before or after). Is that how Pump could be used?

I think Pump will be the next thing I buy--outside of Cathe workouts that is! In the past year I've bought almost every workout Cathe created (that's on DVD) and I've pre-ordered her upcoming collection. She is now an auto-buy for me! It's weird because other trainers used to be auto-buys: Jari Love, Jillian Michaels, Ilaria Montagnani and they've all come out with workouts recently that I haven't bothered to purchase because I know they will just sit on my shelf unused (like my collection of all of their other workouts that are just sitting there collecting dust now that I discovered Cathe).

Anyway, I am considering buying Les Mills Pump, Tapout XT 1&2 and Les Mills Combat--in that order. None of them are cheap however, so I am afraid of buying them and not using them. That's what I did with P90X2 and Asylum. I got them the end of 2011 and was planning to do them in 2012, but haven't touched either because all I want to do are Cathe workouts. In fact, April 1 I start STS.

Could any of those workouts be done with STS? Do any of them have straight cardio/metabolic training workouts that could be used with heavy strength training?

Hi again,

I would not ever combine a Combat workout with STS, its too much you'd likely injure muscles in your shoulders and back. SO, please don't do that, STS focus is on muscle building going heavy with low reps to failure. Please do not combine Tap Out XT with STS, again same thing. The first week I did a Combat workout I had major DOMS and was sore from the waist up and I did not do any weight work at all. I remember thinking wow, boy am I glad I didn't decided to add Xtrain strength workouts. I used #1 lb weighted gloves on each hand, so no definitely do not do a strength/muscle building workout with either Tap Out XT or Combat. I do not own nor have I done Tap Out XT but it a MMA Martial Arts inspired workout as is Combat and both are very core intensive and use upper body strength alot. So I don't mean to be a wet blanket but please do not do Muscle building heavy wet type workouts with either of those two MMA Martial Arts inspired workouts, you'll regret it and likely injure yourself, its not worth it to try it in my opinion.

I know that COMBAT specifically does not recommend lifting weights alongside their program for that reason, I headed their warning. Now that I have completed 60 day rotation experience behind me I agree with the warning. That is why the only weight workout I added to use with it was Pump and I used; pump challenge 25 min, pump'n burn 35 min, and pump'n shred 48 minute workouts.

The PUMP workouts are high reps, low weight and are divided into 5 minute tracks per instructor and focus on a body area per track so you are not going to failure on tri's or anything that is not what pump is about. I would definitely assume Tap Out XT will have a similar effect meaning you will be using alot of the same muscles if not the same muscles in it that you use in COMBAT and you will feel it the muscles will be worked hard. I would proceed carefully and cautiously understanding that to avoid unwanted injury. I wish you well with whatever programs you decide on.

I do know that Tap Out XT is a 90 day program & uses resistance tubing and probably about 40-55 min a workout and does not leave room to add on workouts beyond it. COMBAT workout times range from 30 min to 60 min on cardio and 20 min on core if you get the extra workouts (I recommend them for best results). There is also a 20 min stretch which is different than any ever done also in the extra workouts. COMBAT is more time friendly and easier to add other workouts on to if your wish like I did.

COMBAT is a 60 day program and everyday your entire core front and back is used and you will feel it everyday. There is a lot of upper body used everyday and lower body with kicks and knee strikes. I obviously love it and recommend it highly. Pump is an awesome workout I know I got it when it first came out over a year ago and I still reach for it often. In my opinion my best beach body purchases ever have been Les Mills Pump, Les Mills COMBAT, and Turbo Fire in that order. I rate them that way because I still reach for them long after the hype and still love doing them.

I have been eyeing Tap Out XT but I don't want to commit to a 90 day program, and I know there are only 4 to 6 workouts in it I'm interested in the rest I don't want. The cost is outrageous so I'm on the fence about that one, probably won't get it. I have also been looking at George St. Pierre's Rush Fit, which looks good the price is doable and its a nice complement to COMBAT and like Combat it has people showing correct form, has person modifying, and technique so a person can strive for that. I'll likely go for GSP's Rush Fit. I do know that Collage Video offers two different configurations of Tap Out XT. One has three workouts and tubing, the other has four workouts and tubing, prices are still alot if you divide the price per number of dvds. You will need to choose what makes the most sense for you, I wish you luck with all the intriguing choices right now. I'm right there with you on those too. Good luck and have fun in your fitness choices.;)

Nora

Last edited:
I have the LMP workouts also and agree with the above poster. I think she pretty much explained it all. They are fun. There is no dread. I like the hi reps low weight. You can order them thru BB without the barbell which brings down the cost. I only have the weight workouts. I finished the rotation and am still doing them mixing them in with other things.

I went to the BB website and could not find where I could order without the barbell. Can you help me out?

Thanks

Scratch that request...I just went to the BB website live chat and you canNOT order the dvds by themselves yet. But hopefully in the future.

Last edited:
Hi Tracy,

I ordered mine standard with the BB I haven't seen it on their menu to order it that way online. I would try going to the BB website and way way down on the bottom of the page above copyright you should see live chat, and click on that to ask them. It could be you may be able to order just the dvds and not the BB but if that is the case chat with a customer rep about it see if they can order it that for you. That would be my best piece of advice about that ask a rep via live chat, and they will email you transcript of your conversation to you. Good luck!

Nora

I love bodypump so much that i got certified as a bodypump instructor! It works your entire body. It gives you a cardio workout as well as resistance training. I do not have the infomercial workouts tho. I get a new release ever 3months as an instructor.

Well this thread made me cave and I just ordered. This should keep me busy until cathe releases her new ones

bumping thread

I just got this set and LOVE it. I'm not following the rotation. I just plan to plug them in one of my weekly workouts after I do them all.

I looked at the challenge skipped it. I did Pump Shred 30 min. I went with the advance weight suggestions. I like the workout but didn't really get a burn. I'll try it again with heavier weights. I've skimmed the other workouts can't wait to try the 45 min one.

Just wondering if any of you new pump owners are loving it like me:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.