Lemons!!!!!

I notice when I workout alot I NEED to eat lemons or drink lemon juice.I dont use salt or sugar,just straight lemons!I asked my doc if I had pica and he put me on iron supplements and it didnt work!I accidently:p ate 3 lemons yesterday,INPUT!!!

I have no clue, but I do know that lemons are an excellent substitute for salt. My MIL is on a very low sodium diet and I prepared a chicken dish for her seasoned only with thin slices of lemon, sliced garlic cloves, and fresh thyme. There wasn't a speck of salt in this dish and I was stunned that nobody added salt to to their portion.

Lemons are good for you. Just be sure to rinse your mouth or brush with a baking soda toothpaste after eating them to keep the acids from damaging your teeth.

Many naturopaths recommend taking lemon water in the morning as a wey of stimulating the digestive tract and cleansing the body.

If you are craving them, give in to the craving. It's much better than a craving for candy or chips, and maybe your body needs something in them.

I don't understand why the doctor gave you iron supplements because of this (is it because of this? from your post, it sounds like you just told him about the lemon cravings and he put you on iron. Is iron supposed to help with pica?)

I honestly don't think that there is really anything wrong with eating lemons. Just be careful because the acid can cause ulcers in the mouth.

Pica isn't the eating of food items, it's the eating of non-food items. So I wouldn't be afraid of that unless you are picking fuzz off the blanket and eating it.

I know that iron supplements may be necessary if one has a compulsion to eat ice. Don't know how that connection works, but it's true.

>I know that iron supplements may be necessary if one has a
>compulsion to eat ice. Don't know how that connection works,
>but it's true.
I've heard that too, and that often pregnant women will crave ice when they need iron. Seems like an odd connection, doesn't it?

Pica is also associated with eating dirt or clay.

>I have no input, but I'm a bit curious as to how one
>"accidentally" eats three lemons?:p

Maybe they were hiding behind something else? ;-)

Or, you know that mindless snacking that one does in front of the boob tube? Instead of grabbing a handful of chips, maybe you accidentally pick up a lemon...three times. LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.