Leg & Glutes-Modification question

samIam11

Cathlete
Hello Cathe and other experienced fitness gurus ;)

I have a question about the legs and glutes floorwork..At the end...when you do the "glute sweeps" (when facing sideways, laying on side..but raised up and you bring knee forward and then extend) is it ok to modify where your laying on your side not( hip is grounded-- lifted on side-hip is raised off floor) or does this change the excercise and its targeted muscles.

trying to work my way up...but by then kinda struggling and cant keep good form with my hip raised...

Thanks for any help
Samantha

Samantha, I have been doing Glute raises lying on my side without the "lifting" up & down. I have a knee injury and the lifting puts too much pressure on my knee, so I just stay grounded. I have ankle weights on and I also keep sweeping out & up while Cathe and gang take their break. (I do a total of 30-32 on each side.) It is always a good thing to modify if you can't keep good form. That move is tough. You could also do a few with the lift and the rest grounded. Just an idea.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I keep trying to keep my hip up. I can pretty well handle the first side and maintain proper form. But come to that second side, the weight-bearing leg is already fried and after the first two sweeps, I'm down on my hip. Maybe to keep things even, I should start on the opposite leg next time I do the workout.

I was so glad to see your post and find out I'm not the only one with difficulties with those.

-Diane

I'm so glad this subject came up. I used to do the FIRM a long time ago, before discovering Cathe, and in Volume 1 (I told you it was a long time ago!), which has killer floor work, they would do this move but stay grounded. I'm wondering what benefit there is to being up instead of staying grounded? Is it more challenging to the core, since you're trying to keep your balance while doing the sweep? I hope Cathe sees this thread and gives us some insight; that is a tough move--grounded or otherwise!

-Marie:)

Yes Marie...I believe that is exactly it. You use much more of the core when you are elevated. I prefer to use the core while doing it but until I am healed, I will just modify. :-( I figure I am still getting the benefit of the legs/thigh/glute work.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks for all the insight...

I just wasnt sure if it was still working the same...I can feel it but at that moment in the workout...I can "feel" just about anything!!!fried fried fried...I think I bought to heavy of ankle weights ...my eyes were bigger than my muscles...lol

I will keep trying to get up there, until then I will keep sweeping!!!

Thanks again
Samantha

I also have a question about L&G. During the floorwork, CATHE does the hamstring/glute lifts. I have a hard time doing these. Any alternatives?

In place of the glute lifts, you could try more bridges with your feet on the step. In another video I have, they do two variations on the standard bridge: in the first, you have your feet together and as you lift up you open your knees...in the second, you start with your feet about hip width apart and your knees are "glued together" and you hold this position as you lift up and down. I can feel the first mostly in my butt and the second really hits the inner thighs I think.

We'll have to wait for Cathe to chime in, but I do think this exercise adds extra core work. It reminds me of the kneeling side kicks in Pilates, but it's slightly different from those.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.