Latest you should you workout

ebonynicole

Cathlete
Hello Folks,

Want your opinion, what is the lastest time your should workout each day in order for the workout to be effective?

I already wake up at 5:00am to get ready for work at 6:30am and some days I am working late and have school (which will be completely done by end of March). For those instances it may be 9pm before I get to workout, is that too late?

Thank you in advance for everyone's comments :D

I am in school too! I'm up at 5 as well and not home until 630pm. sometimes I don't get to exercise until late either. My sleep is not affected by working out close to bedtime, so for me it works fine. I would just be concerned about whether or not you could fall asleep, sometimes exercising in the evening energizes people and distrups their sleep if it is too close to bedtime. good luck!

There are times when my schedule is so busy that i workout between 8-9pm since that is the only time i can fit it in.

Over the years i have also worked in hotels and bars and had some crazy hours. I used to have a membership at a 24hr gym and would work out when i could. I've gone to the gym anywhere from 10pm-2am there were always other people there working out. For a year, i worked 11pm-7am and i would workout after my shift ended before i went to sleep.

I did not have any problems with sleep but everyone is different. I have learned that I need to work around my schedule and fit in exercise where I can depending on my job or demands on my time. Most important, listen to your body.

I have more regular hours now but i still workout after work around 6-7pm.

I think you should give it a try and see how you feel.

Last edited:
I don't think that is too late. The best time is when you can fit it in.

There were times when I would workout in the middle of the night (midnight, 2am) just because I was use to being up at that time.

Ella, I used to work that shift and that is exactly what I did. Go home, put on my workout clothes and do my workout.

I don't think that is too late. The best time is when you can fit it in.

There were times when I would workout in the middle of the night (midnight, 2am) just because I was use to being up at that time.

Ella, I used to work that shift and that is exactly what I did. Go home, put on my workout clothes and do my workout.

I agree with this. As long as you're working out at a time when you can dedicate yourself to it and you have enough energy to get through it, I think anytime is good. Some people may have difficulty getting to sleep if they work out too close to bedtime, I've heard. Just find what works best for you.

I use to work out in the evenings and ever since I went to night school I had to switch to the mornings (it has been years now, 20 years) because I noticed I was missing way too many workouts. But then again I never got home til 10:30-11:00pm and had to go to bed right away for work the next day.

I agree with the others, fit it in whenever you can and if it doesn't affect your sleep patterns, I wouldn't think it would matter how late it was.

Rhonda

Your question was, does the time of a workout render it ineffective? The answer is: it depends.

If you are so exhausted, can barely get through the moves, are forcing yourself onwards through the workout and if your form is suffering or really crappy, then this probably is not effective at all. You are better sleeping because sloppy form during weights and inattention during cardio can lead to injury.

However, as everyone else has suggested, if your form remains good, your energy is there and you are attentive, then go ahead no matter what the time. This will be effective.

I have worked out as late as 4-5 am before going to bed. Working out close to bedtime helps me sleep because I am finally worn out!

Clare

I worked out at 9 pm last night. I like to do weight training before bed because it feels like my muscles build more and recover better while I'm sleeping. Plus I don't get as sore, but still feel just as strong! Another reason why I like saving a workout for just before bedtime is because it keeps me from snacking and kitchen-loitering! LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.