Lack of sleep

joyce619

Cathlete
Cathe,
How are you dealing with the lack of sleep since you seem to be back at work?
I'm lucky in that Michael will sleep for a 3-5 hour stretch at night.
A quick nap in the afternoon and then something with caffeine seems to help me. Though I am not sure what I'll do when I return to work.
What works for you?

Joyce

Hi Joyce and Cathe

Joyce, do you mind if I add on to your question here? I am wondering if there are any "rules" about sleep and workouts. You know, like the rule for illness that says if you have symptoms below the neck you should not work out? I have heard that sleep is as important to muscle rebuilding as protein is, and that if you aren't getting enough sleep you will not see strength gains. Well, can I ask, who EVER gets enough sleep? I have a nightmare-prone 4 year old who wakes fairly regularly and has a mild breathing problem that wakes her when a nightmare doesn't. . . Then of course Nov 1 through Mar 30 at least one kid is sick most of the time, waking at night with a stuffy nose and needing a middle-of-the-night dose of Dimetapp. . . Just last night I was up for a Dimetapp break at 2 (for my 2 year old), a nightmare at 4 (the four year old), and then pre-field trip excitement woke my 2nd grader up at 6 am. I went ahead and worked out today because if I let sleep deprivation stop me from working out, how often would I work out?? So along with Joyce, I am wondering how sleep deprivation is affecting your workouts and if you have found anything that HELPS you to work out anyway, and at what point would you say to somebody "you're too tired, don't work out, tomorrow's another day?" --thanks! -susan p

Hi Joyce and Susan!

I have to honestly say that I have not really found a remedy for dealing with lack of sleep. My workouts are definitely affected by this. Right now my workouts are still somewhat light because I am easing back in. I think thats the only reason that working out is doable for me right now. Otherwise I think I would probably get very run down. Once Eric finally gets to a normal schedule (sleeping nights instead of days)I will push myself a little harder. I wish I could offer you advice but I just don't have an answer right now. However, I do definitely feel that a cat nap(if your able to grab one)during the day will provide you with at least some positive restoration and recovery benefits. Heres to a good nights sleep
wink.gif
!

I knnnow what you mean.

Cathe-
It feels so good to hear you say this. I have had this problem since my first son was born (nearly five years), and didn't exercise regularly for the first two. I do not have great gains, but do notice slow improvement. I will not exercise if I am overly tired, and will do a light workout if I feel to tired for a tough one. Sometimes this can work out to weeks of light workouts, but I know I am not pushing myself too hard. I have also managed to maintain my level of fitness, and improve during the good times. I have no solution, except an attitude change. I don't have to always be moving forward, as long as I don't move backward, sometimes that is good enough. I would love to hear if anyone else has a better suggestion (aside from getting a full night of sleep). BLinda

Chiming in...

Its been a long time...my youngest is eight...but I vividly remember those postpartum blues that had a way of lasting years not weeks. Just as an encouragement, sticking with any form, level, frequency, duration, or intensity of exercise is good psycologically. Later, when schedules settle down, and as your body needs less sleep as it ages
happy.gif
, you will thank yourself for the discipline of exercising. Plus, short fifteen minutes refreshers are a life saver, even if you don't sleep...just read a good magazine or book (that'll put you to sleep!)

Hang in there...I have five children ages 18 to 8 and there is life after sleepless nights...of course, its now their daytime schedules that keep me hopping
happy.gif
!!

Joanna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.