lack of motivation---burned out on life?

divagirl

Cathlete
I'm am so unmotivated anymore that its concerning me. First, work----I never feel like working----ever. I've been in a job I've liked for over 2 years now and all of a sudden I never want to really be here, never feel like working when I am here. I think I feel burned out. It can be very stressful here or dead. I feel bored and unchallenged lately and now I don't feel like working at all.

The other thing is working out---half the time I have to push to get started or I get into it but lose steam half way through and just don't want to do anymore. Usually this is with cardio but it can go with anything really.

Am I burned out on life? I don't know what to do about this?

I've been there for sure! It is very stressful when you don't like your job. It takes a lot out of you. I would come home from work and be dead tired and just want to sleep the rest of the day and night. I mean, my job is kinda physical (I'm an assistant at a hair salon, but nothing that would make me THAT tired. I found that if I didn't concentrate so much on work it was better. I have been assisting for like 2 years which basically means I've been shampooing other stylists client, doing laundry, folding towels, washing color bottles and bowl, cleaning, sweep, ect. for almost 2 years. When you have paid quite a bit for cosmetology school it is VERY frustrating to be doing a job that a janitor would do. So I totally understand what its like to not want to be at work. I find if I go in with the attitude that it's only about half of my day, it helps. I also tend to try to make things fun at work. Try to laugh alot and be a little goofy. It helps the day go by. It made me feel better so maybe it will help you to. As for working out I found that once I started to take work a little less seriously I didn't feel so drained, therefore had more energy to workout. Hope this helped!

Lauren

Hey, it happens to the best of us. You're not alone!
First, visit your stylist for a new cut and color. Then off to the drug store for some fire engine red nail polish. Laugh at your own jokes you will tell yourself while stuck in traffic. Rearrange the furniture in your home. Book a vacation that you always wanted to take (I'd sure love to backpack through Greece, Croatia, etc but I'm weird) If all else fails, take a walk through a hospital and see people fighting cancer, horrific injuries, and other assorted rotten ailments and I bet you will walk out of the hospital into your life with renewed vigor. ;-)

This happened to me at the end of last year. I went through tons of emotional stuff and was just tired of everything. My job was boring and going nowhere. I was working out but lost my passion for it. My sisters got on to me and made me write a list of all the things I was grateful for. It turned out to be a very long list. Then I decided to challenge myself and started training for a 10K to be held this past April.

By January my job wasn't getting any better but it wasn't any worst. I felt a little better working out and did a 5K in February that spurred me to continue with the 10K training. I started helping a younger co-worker find a new job and was helping a friend start a wellness program at her place of employment.

As of today, my job is still the same but I found out that I'm getting a 9% increase and that has renewed my energy to change my job to the way I want it to be. Having a positive attitude helps. I completed the 10K in April with a good time (for me) and have races scheduled every month of this year ending with a 1/2 marathon in December. I'm also teaching a fitness class once a week for my friend in regards to her wellness program.

I remember your posts from the past and know what you are going through. It's exactly how I felt in October and November of last year. Even if you don't feel like it, find something you are passionate about and do it or help another human being. You just have to keep plodding through this and you'll find yourself again. Trust me, I'm living proof.

{{{Hugs}}},

I love Beavs' suggestions! If I could add one other thing to her list.....watch those who are taking care of the ones in the hospital, fighting the diseases, injuries, etc. Watch the nurses.....being one of them, some days are super hard, especially when you see a patient that you've gotten attached to die, or take a turn for the worse.

I've been a nurse for going on 12 years and I have been blessed not to feel burnt out yet on it.

Hi,

I have also went through a rut myself recently and still working on it. So you are definitely not alone. What I have been trying to do is getting fresh air when its nice out (always helps). Also trying not to focus on doing the hardest workouts I can handle just trying to workout and how I feel at that time going with it. I have also read some of your posts and you are going through a lot and that definitely is DRAINING. Another tip is (sounds silly) go to bed early and get a good nights sleep. I have been trying that and remember to take my vitamins simple but do work. The other advice was great try to plan something fun that you will look forward too or if your not sure what that is try something new that you haven't before. If money is an issue a good book to get your imagination going and get away from the reality of your own life for awhile. A good book can always work sometimes almost therapeutic.

I have to chime in here, because divagirl, I could have written your post (and probably did) in the last few weeks. I lost interest in all the stuff I'm usually interested in and lost my passion for everything. I couldn't even imagine why anyone got out of bed in the morning. But it only lasted about 2-3 weeks, and then it passed. I think it was centered around visiting my family, anticipating it and recuperating from it. I was worried about it too, but then one day a few days ago it was just gone. So hang in there. We humans weren't designed to be depressed for long. ;)

I am going through a "why do I exercise so much" phase. I am getting myself together though, trying to understand once again that elusive thing called "moderation". I tend to be hard on myself and my body, and after awhile it takes its toll both emotionally and physically.
I agree with Nancy, we humans are not designed to be depressed for long!:+ Don't worry, like Beavs said, go get some red nail polish and paint those tootsies, then paint flowers on them and wear flip flops.:7 Go rent a silly movie that makes you laugh, my go to is either Friends or Sex and the City..not movies, but always bring a smile to my face. Oh, and Dumb and Dumber!:7
Why not clean out your closets and donate your castaways to a homeless shelter? I find that giving really helps me get out of a funk.

Yeah, I guess it will pass. I don't feel "depressed" not majorly anyway just very unmotivated and uninterested really. I really think it is more of a burned out feeling and boredom. Probably stress. This too shall pass right.

I've come to the realization that stress will always be a factor but someone recently said to me when I was explaining my rut that you will always have health problems with family, work problems etc but how you look or handle the situations is what will come out of them. It is a LOT easier to say that but if you have a good mantra and try to follow hopefully that would help. As for the exercise part moderation like tneah said is key. Exercise can be like a drug it feels good so you want more and then as you said yourself you get burnt out. Taking a small break might help and for peace of mind try something fun maybe a different type workout (not as intense) or take a class somewhere that you haven't and that might help. :)

I think it will pass!!!

I just wanted to throw this out there for you: when I am in a rut like this sometimes the best thing is to serve. At a soup kitchen, a shelter, a nursing home, a boys or girls club or even just cooking a meal for a neighbor that you know has had a hard time can be so good for the spirit. It won't make things more stimulating at work, but it can really change your attitude on life in general. I would take a break from working out if your body is telling you to and use that time to volunteer somewhere - it really is just as good for the heart! :) It isn't a end-all solution but it really helps put everything into perspective and gives a sense of purpose, contentment, joy and fulfillment.
Good luck! :D

Missy

Divagirl, i gotta say, i know what you're goin thru. I'm goin thru it myself now. I just feel down and out. I used to look forward to the next day, and figuring out what workout i would do for that day, but now i just feel like crying all the time. I wake up in the morning and i don't even wanna get out of bed to take my son to school, let alone workout!
I think it's becuz i DON'T have a job and i need something to do other than working out. What's funny is, the only time i DO feel like myself is when i force myself to get up and go to the gym. Once i'm there, i feel better.
I don't know,, maybe i'll take some of the advice that was posted here. And hopefully it'll pass, and things will get better; for us both. Cuz GOD knows i'm sick of crying. :(

Thanx guys! ;)

I have been in a rut lately too, so you are not alone.
When I get like this, I try to eat super healthy....load up on fruits and veggies, eat good fats like eggs and almonds, cut back on sugar, and drink lots of water. That always seems to help me "feel" better and have more energy to take care of my family and home. Sometimes, if the budget allows, retail therapy helps ;)

Good Luck!!

Sara

Thanks all! I think it really is coming down to boredom with my job but at any moment even that can all change in my industry. My goal is to learn how to accept my moods as they come and go. I think sometimes I am way too hard on myself and push myself too much. Its a difficult habit to change since I'm always expecting the best from myself and don't handle slumps very well.

Tina

Well, as you can see, many of us go through this kind of rut at one point or another. I went through the same thing last year and I just felt so helpless. I got my major in the wrong field (accounting) and am therefore stuck in the WRONG career - for me - but with a mortgage to pay and so on and so forth, it's not like I could just go back to school or switch gears. Especially with all the hours I put in. But anyway, even though the work situation hasn't changed, I got out of the rut. I kept telling myself "this too shall pass." And it did!

I think the most important thing, as suggested above, is your outlook. As hard as it is to try to be positive, especially when you're down, it's way worse to keep being negative. It's a very slippery slope that could keep you stuck in your rut or develop into depression or worse.

As far as exercise is concerned, why don't you try doing "fun" workouts as opposed to whatever is on your schedule. Do the stuff that makes you feel good while you're doing it and afterwards.

Best of luck to you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.