Krampus!

Winter

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if you are familiar with the Krampus in Austria. When I was there for several months the locals would tell me about the Krampus and I couldn't imagine why some people were scared of them. To me it was someone dressed up for Halloween. Um..........I was wrong........I was walking down the street with my friend and we passed one and it was actually pretty scary. He stood very tall, was incredibly ugly, rang a cow bell and had a whip.

We then attended a parade of Krampus. It was very cold out and a guy in front of me got into a shoving match with one and the Krampus hit the guy with the horsehair whip which got me right in the cold fingers. That stung really bad and then I was now understanding why some of the locals were scared.

One of the coolest things I have ever witnessed!!

For those of you not familiar here is a link to some pictures:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+of+krampuss&qpvt=picture+of+krampuss&FORM=IGRE

Ew...that's just creepy. I have never heard of them. I'm going to ask my parents about them. The whole whip thing sounds really wrong. Just peeked at the pic's and got the heebie jeebies, lol...

Beware of Krampuss

Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if you are familiar with the Krampus in Austria. When I was there for several months the locals would tell me about the Krampus and I couldn't imagine why some people were scared of them. To me it was someone dressed up for Halloween. Um..........I was wrong........I was walking down the street with my friend and we passed one and it was actually pretty scary. He stood very tall, was incredibly ugly, rang a cow bell and had a whip.

We then attended a parade of Krampus. It was very cold out and a guy in front of me got into a shoving match with one and the Krampus hit the guy with the horsehair whip which got me right in the cold fingers. That stung really bad and then I was now understanding why some of the locals were scared.

One of the coolest things I have ever witnessed!!

For those of you not familiar here is a link to some pictures:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+of+krampuss&qpvt=picture+of+krampuss&FORM=IGRE

I am in Germany right now and have heard of them. Aren't they suppose to travel with or at the same time as St. Nick to frighten the bad children? At least, that's what I heard. They would definitely scare me straight if I saw them when I was a kid...not saying that I was bad :)

My family and I were watching The History of Christmas on the History Channel last night, and they had the Krampus on there. Talk about creepy! Yes, he does visit bad children after St. Nick has visited the good children. I'm glad I'm always good - hahah! ;)
Paula

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.