Know your anatomy for squatting

Kellyro77

Cathlete
I recently watched some YouTube videos about squat anatomy, explained by a doctor of physical therapy. I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've struggled for years to squat deep - even to parallel. I've followed all the advice I've ever heard to keep your feet pointed forward, no wider than shoulder-width, etc. I've judged myself continually that I just have bad form or am too lazy to correct my form.

These videos were an epiphany for me. It's my anatomy, NOT a failing on my ability to execute "proper form".

From all the comments on the videos, too, I'm actually amazed I don't hear this discussion more often. So many people find they need to have a wider stance, and some also with their feet not pointing straight forward.

My mind was also blown when he described weight lifting shoes. What??? They have an actual heel lift in them??

Maybe this is all common knowledge to some of you, but it's all new to me.

Thought I'd share a couple of these videos if you're curious.

This confirms my own experience and what I have learned from Lauren Brooks with my hip joint and what I have done to adapt in pilates as well. Working my ankle mobility has really helped too.

Thanks so much for posting these videos....he really summarizes and explains it so well, too!

This was very informative. Thanks for sharing. I've always had to do a little bit wider of a squat and now I know why.

I recently watched some YouTube videos about squat anatomy, explained by a doctor of physical therapy. I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've struggled for years to squat deep - even to parallel. I've followed all the advice I've ever heard to keep your feet pointed forward, no wider than shoulder-width, etc. I've judged myself continually that I just have bad form or am too lazy to correct my form.

These videos were an epiphany for me. It's my anatomy, NOT a failing on my ability to execute "proper form".

From all the comments on the videos, too, I'm actually amazed I don't hear this discussion more often. So many people find they need to have a wider stance, and some also with their feet not pointing straight forward.

My mind was also blown when he described weight lifting shoes. What??? They have an actual heel lift in them??

Maybe this is all common knowledge to some of you, but it's all new to me.

Thought I'd share a couple of these videos if you're curious.

This was great!!! Very helpful. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.