Kneecap arthritis

debcpa28

I was diagnosed with kneecap arthritis and I'm only 45. I've been working out my who life and struggling with having to slow down. If I do too much I pay with knee pain. Anyone else a cathlete with this problem? I prob will need a knee replacement down the road which is devastating. Ugg.

I also have this, it is called patello-femoral arthritis. I recently did PRP which I am hoping will help. The other treatment we at the office is Bone Marrow injections. This seems to be very helpful especially if you have any chronic bone marrow lesions. Unfortunately insurance does not pay for these treatments at this time. The Mayo Clinic just started trials on gene therapy for arthritis, their goal is to be able to regenerate cartilage. The orthopedic doctor I work with is very hopeful that in the next few years a "patch" will be applied to the knee to grow cartilage eliminating the need for replacements.

I also have this, it is called patello-femoral arthritis. I recently did PRP which I am hoping will help. The other treatment we at the office is Bone Marrow injections. This seems to be very helpful especially if you have any chronic bone marrow lesions. Unfortunately insurance does not pay for these treatments at this time. The Mayo Clinic just started trials on gene therapy for arthritis, their goal is to be able to regenerate cartilage. The orthopedic doctor I work with is very hopeful that in the next few years a "patch" will be applied to the knee to grow cartilage eliminating the need for replacements.
Are we the same age? Tell me more about the prp injection . What to expect, etc

I have knee problems. What I find if you stretch really good after a workout it helps. Also, doing yoga, really does helps. If you concentrate on the leg exercises with yoga it helps. Also, if you use ice and put it on your knee it helps too. You can buy a ice wrap that you can wrap around your knee. If you leave that on for twenty minutes it really does helps.

If you are in agony, my go to is the wrap around ice pad. When you put it around your knee if twenty minutes I find it helps.

Also, before you exercise you may want to buy a brace for your knee, so it helps with the pain afterword,

When you are lying in bed, I find putting a pillow underneath my knee helps with the pain too.

Also, if you have to sleep on your side you can use a pillow and put the pillow between your legs where your knee is a turn to your side. That also helps with pain.

With any leg pain it is good to walk on it. Because it becomes less stiff. I find the stiffer the joint the worse pain it is. But, don’t walk for hours and hours. You know what I mean!

Hopes this helps! Jen Den

Any "...itis" is an inflammation. You might consider an anti-inflammatory diet to reduce chronic inflammation in addition to the previously mentioned techniques that help reduce acute inflammation. And a collagen supplement with Vit C. I had good success with these after almost 3 decades of knee pain. Highly recommend it but do know it will take weeks to months to notice a difference. You can ask your primary care provider to monitor your C-RP or homocysteine levels over time so you have concrete proof your actions are lowering chronic inflammation. Good luck.

I am 57, started with knee pain around 45. PRP is plasma rich protein, we draw your blood from your arm, spin it down in a centrifuge and then inject it into your knee. It is a "biologic" versus a synthetic pain reliever and it has healing properties. Unfortunately insurance in the U.S. does not pay for this at the present time. I am lucky that I work in an orthopedic office and did not have to pay for this service, it cost between $500-$1000.00. The only discomfort with the injection is some knee stiffness the evening after the procedure. The injection itself did not hurt, we just recommend you rest the night of the procedure and take it easy for 2 weeks.`I have also found that Cosamin DS and turmeric help my discomfort. Let me know if you have any other questions.
KAtie

Are we the same age? Tell me more about the prp injection . What to expect, etc
[/QUOTE]

Psusoccer17,
How are you doing with your recovery from PRP? My husband is going through the process for knee pain. He had PRP several years ago for "tennis elbow" from playing guitar! Worked like a charm, he now is playing guitar daily and lifting heavy. Prior to the injections he couldn't even hold a coffee mug.

Hoping for the same great results from the knee injections.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
Unfortunately this last PRP did not seem to help very much. I think there is more going on with my knees as both of them are hurting right now. My doc is going to get a new x-ray and MRI.
PRP works great for tennis elbow and plantar fasciiits.

Have you heard of aromatherapy??? I know the name is misleading. I go to the VA because I am a Navy Veteran and they have Whole Health there! They talked about alternative to medication. What we did is you can by oils from plants to help you with your pain. Not CBD oils, but other plant oils. Well, you put drops in this lotion and you mix it together. I put it where I have my knee pain and it helped it immensely! I put it on my husband back and it helped him! So, you may want to check into it.
Jen Den

Have you heard of aromatherapy??? ....

Good idea! Thanks for this ... I use essential oils for a variety of purposes ... even to assist in a bone break in my foot a few years ago. Please purchase quality EO (essentials oils) as well as carrier oills for healing purposes. Do your research as to which essential oils may work for arthritis/joint pain _ you can concoct your own mix or there may be a pre-made mix available. I've purchased EO from Eden's Garden and Now (and a brand from my grocery store for adding to cleaning concoctions). Seems like many people use Young. There's lots of brands, just be sure they are quality brands when using for healing purposes.

I'm really sorry about your problem. Let us know how you're doing, please! Patellofemoral arthritis occurs when the articular cartilage along the trochlear groove and on the underside of the patella wears down and becomes inflamed. When the cartilage wears away, it becomes frayed and, when the wear is severe, the underlying bone may become exposed. Moving the bones along this rough surface may be painful. Nonsurgical treatment options include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, exercise, activity modification, and weight loss. A friend of mine used some products he got from weedsmart.net to help him with the pain, and he said that it helped him a lot to deal with it.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.