Knee pain ? for the 'educated crowd' :)

kims

Cathlete
I think I have tendonitis in my knees, the right being the worst, I guess 'cause my right leg is a tad longer that the left, but anyway...

Can anyone recommend a good website with physical therapy exercises for this?

I did a google and got mostly sites heavy with adverstisements and such.

I so appreciate any input.

Kim....I gotta get ready for my NEW CATHE'S !!!!!!

Hi Kim, this is just what I suggest to do, doesn't mean you even have to try it (do whatever makes you feel comfortable):)

First of all does it hurt all the time or just when you are working out? Because sometimes we have knee pain and really all it is, is tight muscles. You should purchase a FOAM ROLLER and roll your adductors (inner thighs), IT band all the way down to your knee, then roll your quads. You should also do some static stretches for your legs (quads, adductors and IT band). Sometimes this really helps with knee pain, but if you do have tendonitis then you have to ice your knees and I wouldn't do too much cardio type of working out, for example running, so that it goes away. I have had tendonitis a long time ago and I just remember having to ice after a run, and I remember cutting back on running and working out. I was told that you get tendonitis from over use so that's why I suggested cutting back. BUT I'M NOT A PHYSICAL THERAPIST. This is what we do for people at the gym when they come in with knee pain. Good Luck!!

And let me know what happens, what worked and what didn't.

Jen

The NASM website shows some foam roller stretches:
http://www.nasm.org/ContinuingEducation/Articles/SelfMyofasciaTechniques.aspx

Tendonitis is a swelling (as are all "-itis" conditions), so if you have it, taking antiinflammatory nutrients (ginger, turmeric, mangosteen) could help (things like Ibuprofen and Advil have been coming under scrutiny lately for adverse side effects, so I would never recommend them).

You could also have what is called "patello-femoral pain syndrome" (basically a fancy way of saying "knee hurts!") which is usually caused by a tracking problem. Making sure that all muscles around the leg are stretched, as Jen suggests, and have balanced strength (for example, the hamstring should be about 70% as strong as the quad, not the same)is important.

Often, the culprit can be a weekness in the quad on the inner side of the knee (the "teardrop" muscle, vastus lateralus, I think...maybe?).

One PT exercise that is used to strengthen the muscles around the knee without stressing the knee is a straight leg extension. Sit on the floor, with your legs straight out in front of you and either lying down or propping yourself up on your forearms. Bend one leg, keeping the foot on the floor, and straighten the other, keeping it in a locked position. Now lift, hold and lower that leg under control. To hit that "teardrop" muscle more, you can turn your toes out a bit and keep the leg in that position throughout the move. Start with around 15 reps, then increase to 20, then add ankle weights in small increments (you must be able to keep the knee locked without strain).

If this is too much, you can build up to it by doing what are called "quad sets." In the same position, put a rolled-up towel under the knee (not too high) and instead of lifting the leg, just push down into the towel and straighten the leg. Hold, then release. You want to feel the quad flex as if you were going to lift the leg, without doing the lifting.

Coming from someone who had major knee surgery 3 months ago to fix patellofemoral pain syndrome (and other stuff) if you have ins go and see a PT. Even if you only go for a few sessions, they are worth it (pending you have a good PT, do your homework on the person), but they can really help to show you exercises.

They can give you take home sheets to work with.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.