Kickboxing

Roberta

Hi Cathe. Wow, it seems like forever since I have posted in here; my email address is two years old! Gotta change it.

My questions is... I was wondering if it took you some time to get used to doing kickboxing, nevermind teach it. :) I recently added it to my list of certifications but since it wasn't something I had practiced and perfected like the other people who were in the certification course, I felt awkward and very frustrated! Even though I am trying to practice at home my body just doesn't seem to want to do the moves properly!

How did you learn, and how do you incorporate kickboxing moves into your classes without teaching an entire kickboxing class? There is no way I could even sub one right now as I have zero confidence in my form and abilities.

A very belated congratulations on the birth of baby Eric and I look forward to your new tapes!!

-Roberta

Hi Roberta!

Wow, it really has been a long time. How nice to hear from you again.

You are not alone in your anxiety about teaching kickboxing. I felt, and at times still feel, a little uncomfortable when it comes to the class delivery from a technical aspect. This is because after talking with several kickbox experts, martial arts experts, and karate experts, plus attending and two kickbox certifications, and experiencing numerous other kickbox classes, I have heard various opinions pertaining to the hows and whys of the delivery of this art form.

With all of these mixed opinions, how can a group fitness instructor learn and understand the basic principles of kickboxing which is very much needed in order to lay the foundation for a safe and effective class. I, too, found myself very frustrated and "picking the brain" of each person that I spoke to in hopes of finding the answer I've been looking for. I was waiting for something to click, a light to go off, something to grasp onto that made 100% sense to me.

Finally, one martial arts instructor told me that there are many different ways to deliver this art form based on what your background is(meaning martial arts, karate, or kickbox)and there is no 100% right or wrong way to position yourself. This instructor said that everyones center of balance/gravity is different and therefore may have to angle their body slightly different to get the same level of comfort as another when kicking or punching. Now this made sense to me and relaxed me since I always felt like I was doing it wrong if I didn't look exactly as the person teaching it.

So I went on further to share my feelings with this martial arts instructor and asked what someone in my shoes should do who has not trained and mastered the moves of this kickbox/martial arts/karate movement style? He said that I can not expect to develop and master the skills of what takes these "art form" experts years to do in a few classes. He especially chuckled when I mentioned these weekend kickbox certification coarses offered in the fitness industry. I told him(with a great deal of respect)that the audience that I pretty much have is interested in kickbox because it is a hot trend, and not necessarily because they are interested in earning a belt. He was well aware of the trend and seemed somewhat disappointed that is was not giving the art form the respect that it deserved. He truly was more interested in teaching students who wanted to learn the mastery of technique and not view this process as a one hour kickbox workout.

This is the discussion that opened my eyes to the whole situation. I realized that as a group fitness instructor, I am in the business of catering to the health club customer who wants to experience kickboxing as it pertains to the one hour workout and not as a lesson in martial arts. Therefore, over time I have slowly designed my own class making it my interpretation of what a kickbox class should be in the health club environment. I made it to be a fun, light spirited class "flavored" with kickbox moves. Its for for the person who has less interest in mastering the art form but more interest in getting a heart pumping workout. I have decided that since I myself will not be able to master the art form during the time that the demand for this workout is hot, I will deliver a workout that works within the limits of my abilities and the demands of my audience.

Wow, sorry to be so long winded.

opposite situation

Hi Roberta
I have a friend who is a second degree blackbelt who runs a martial arts school. He has had to add "kickboxing" classes to his schedule because of demand. It was very difficult for him to design a routine that would satisfy the average aerobic exerciser who was looking for that kickboxing adventure. When I tried to explain 8 count and 32 count movement to him he just about lost it. He has had to do the opposite and "bring down" the technical aspect of the art.

For the most part, I think everyone is just looking for a fun, different way to vary their cardio workouts. Safety and form are most important.

Good Luck teaching your classes. I'm not certified to teach kickboxing yet so I can't give you any feed back on that. I do know the first few times I tried it I felt like a big goof! I'm getting better though.

Maybe Cathe's new tape will send us all running for our black belt certifications!

Debbie

Thanks Cathe and Deb!

I feel so much better now, knowing that I don't have to do everything perfectly the "martial arts" way. I will, however, wait until Cathe's tapes are released so I can "steal" her choreography! :) That seems to work best for me and makes my classes special. Everyone just eats up her stuff!! And Cathe, your style has always felt most natural for me to imitate so hopefully your kickboxing flavor will be just what I need.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to reply. I don't know how you do it, Cathe, a demanding career, a newborn, and this website... you're amazing!

Hey Roberta - How the Heck Are Ya?

Wow - it's really you. How have you been? Haven't seen you at VF in ages. Ya know, the Firm is still using our quotes !!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.