---<~: Kettlebells :~>---

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning!!

I am loving the working out when the kids are at school in the morning!!!!:D:D:D
Snatch practice today. Check out the blog :cool:

MARCY!!!!!
Hi chicka! missed you! glad to hear all is well:):):):) and I look forward to you joining us again!:):):):)

Jane:
Your books sound good. Did you read the girl with the dragon tattoo? I really liked it, and now its my bookclubs' pick for the summer.

Gayle:
How was RoP yesterday? I like how you rest between sets and ladders - I may be doing that tomorrow on my heavy day.

Melissa:
What fun exciting workout do you have on tap for today?:) I hope you enjoyed your Romaine lettuce!!

Apparently I wasn't the only one confused about the right type of clean and press to do during RoP. There is a whole thread about it on DD. I swear I read the book at least twice and never noticed we were supposed to do the long clean! I also just followed AOS and did the dead clean! nice to know I wasn't the only one, but changing over to the long clean is challenging!:confused::eek:
My cleans must have been better yesterday - no sore biceps today! :)

Off to eat breakfast - pancakes :D
then I need to clean the house :(:(
:p

have a good one!
later :cool:

Last edited:
Good Morning!

Today I got up a little late. Did Power Yoga for Happiness Daily Dose of Bliss (40 minutes) and am going for a 30 minute walk at lunch. I also did a headstand for 46 seconds (a new record!)

Deanie - I also had pancakes this morning for breakfast (courtesy of DH!:)
Hope you have a great snatch practice today!

Waves to all!

Marcy

Hi Kettlebellers

I was searching around for info on the RoP and found your check-in and Melissa's blog. I have been doing kettlebells for about 2 months and I would like to do the RoP and bought Anthony's workbook. Would you mind if I checked in with you guys? I have a few questions and it would be nice to learn from your experiences. No pressure either way.

Here are a couple questions that I had...
When you started RoP did you do the program minimum first? Would you recommend it? I have been doing Lauren Brooks two volumes and some body weight circuits since the beginning of April (Before that I finished my 3 round of STS).

When they say do 12 minutes of swings. You decide how many swings and then do them at the top of the minute and do the "active rest, aka jump rope" for the rest of the minute? Is there any rest time built into that?

I really don't mean to intrude but I have really been enjoying kettlebells and I think that I might be a wee bit addicted!

Thanks for you time
Heather

Hi Heather and welcome! :) Of course you can check in with us!!

to answer your questions -
1. YES do the program min. It is important to do for a lot of reasons. One being that it builds up your lat strength and you can work on your form. Plus its fun workouts in a short time that work your whole body :) Also, it can be done for 4 weeks or longer. Melissa, Gayle and myself have all done the pm for 5 weeks or more.

2. Manmaker swings can be anywhere from 10-15 minutes. I would start with 10 or 12 and take it from there. there are 2 ways to do it: pick a number of swings and do that number at the top of each minute with jumping rope or, pick a number for swings and a number for jumping rope and stick with that for as many rounds as you can for a set time (10-12 minutes) either is correct. when you can go 30 seconds on/ 30 seconds off your next challenge could be to do 45 seconds on/ 15 seconds off. building up your endurance for RoP. Or you could do 30 seconds work/ 30 seconds rest- your call. Maybe start with that then add in the jumprope. hope that all makes sense :confused:

3. If you don't have Pavel's ETK you should get it. I did AOS's workbook the first time around with the 12kg. Not a fan. The program is Much Better the way Pavel wrote it.

I have been doing the ETK since Jan of this year (Melissa and I started together :)) you are welcome to check out my blog (link is in my signature below) if you have questions about the pm just start in Jan. and work your way thru!!

Its a GREAT program and I'm sure you will love it! :)
Happy to have you on board!

Last edited:
Hey Marcy! Yea for your pr headstand!!:):) That was nice of DH to make you breakfast! My pancakes were the recipe Gin gave us. I just made some substitutions since I'm vegan now.

Good morning!

Marcy!!!! Great to see chickie!!! Sorry to hear that work is still keeping you so busy. Great job on the headstand! :cool: We're using the kitchen. It's *almost* done. I posted the latest pics in this thread: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275177

Hi Heather - The more the merrier, join in the fun! Kettlebells are a good addiction. ;):) I'm in week 1 of RoP using just the ETK book (not Anthony's). From my experience so far, I recommend doing the Program Minimum. I did it for 7 weeks, but you definitely don't have to go that long, I just enjoyed it. :) The swings and TGU's have made a difference in my cleans, presses and snatches. Before doing the PM, I was always a little shaky doing snatches at 12kg, this week I've been doing them for 5 minutes at a time and they're feeling really strong.

Regarding the swings, in ETK, Pavel recommends setting a timer for 12 minutes and swinging until your comfortably tired (form is still good) then doing some kind of active recovery like jogging or jumping rope, then swinging again.

I played around a little with the swings. A few times I set my Gymboss for 12 or 15 minutes at 30/30 intervals and did 30 seconds of swings and 30 seconds of rest and that was fine. Later on, I set it for a straight 15 minutes and alternated 15 swings with 50 jump ropes or 100m jogs and just did as many rounds of that as I could while keeping good form and took a breather whenever it felt like my swings would go south.

Deanie - Great workout today! :cool: I'm afraid to go read that DD thread. :confused: I've felt good with cleans from the floor this week...I don't want to change! I've only done two days of ladders, but I really like them so far.

Hi Jane and Melissa!

Had an interesting morning. Our cat was acting a little off (as in not peeing or pooping right) so I ended up making an emergency trip to the vet. They decided to do an x-ray. The good news is that they discovered that he was just really constipated, so the old boy got an enema. I'll probably be on his sh*t list for the rest of the week. Har-har-har...:p;)

Anyhoo, here's last night's workout:

Buy in:
2 rounds
* 20 one arm swings 5/5 @ 12kg
* 30 sec rest

RoP: Moderate day C&P/Modified pull ups and chin ups
* 3 x (1,2)
* Rested 30 sec-1 minute between sets, and 1-2 minutes between ladders.
* My pull ups and presses feel stronger!
* This wasn't a lot of reps, but it still felt like work.

Cash out: Snatch for 5 minutes @ 12kg
* 3 rounds 5r/5l, shake out hands
* 3 rounds 5r/5l, shake out hands
* 2 rounds 5r/5l
* This seemed like a lot of snatches, I don't think I miscounted the rounds, but anything is possible. :confused:

I'm taking a rest today! Have a good one!

3 helpful (at least for me :p;)) RoP threads from DD:

cleans:
http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/143048-clean-confusion.html

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettl...ng-forum/143020-cleaning-swing-v-s-floor.html

ladders:
http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/137694-ladders.html

sorry Gayle :( oddly, it really does make a difference dead or swing....who knew???? ;)

Gayle:
Great job on the snatches!!! I'm sure your #'s were right!:):)
and you were ahead of the curve on your way you do the ladders!! :)
enjoy your rest day!

Thanks for the links, Deanie. Tomorrow's my light day, so maybe I'll give the swing cleans a try. I anticipate forearm bruising! :eek:

MARCY!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad that you're okay!!! :D :D :D :D :D It's so great to see you again! 46 seconds is a loooooooooooong time, great job! :cool:

Deanie, you did a great job on your snatches. I tried the 16kg on Monday morning and actually did it!!! I have to be honest, it wasn't as hard to snatch it as I thought it would be. I was a little too cautious and I ended up bruising my forearm first attempt, but after that I got it! You inspire me. :)
I honestly thought it was dead cleaning, did you go back and reread it? I haven't, but I guess I should!

Heather, WELCOME! :D (Is this "Intuitive Eating" Heather?)
*Here is a video from RKC Team Leader Jordan Vezina re: TGUs and Swings, the 2 exercises in the Program Minimum. Swings and TGUs are the base of every single thing you will do in kettlebell training. What is so amazing about this is that before I started the PM I was cleaning with 25# and after doing all of those TGU - w/o doing any cleans at all - I had to move up to a 30# bell. And I could do pull ups.
*I like how Deanie broke down swings.
*I also think that Pavel's book is a great investment. AOS's workbook doesn't explain things in any kind of detail while with Pavel's book you are learning something new every time you open it no matter how many times you've read it.
*We are totally hardcore kettlebell junkies, if you haven't noticed. ;):p:p
KBs are soooooooo addicting, and so good for you. One of the things I love the most about them is that they have absolutely no impact and don't put stress on your joints at all (if you are doing them correctly).

Gayle, poor kitty... and now poor you! :p I will never have a cat because they are smart like that. Dogs have short term memory. They forget all the rotten things I do. ;)
How long did it take you to get through the workout with those rests? I bet you had a heck of a lot more strength and oomph to get through the workout. The snatches sound right - great job!

Jane, I hope your run didn't get rained out last night.

I did a 10-1 ladder today, feeling major NJCF nostalgia. I am so grateful that I write down all of my workouts and keep them in a binder.

10-1 Ladder w/ 12kg
Swings
Jumping Pull-ups
Thrusters
Walkout Push-ups
L Snatch
R Snatch
Tricep Dips
Burpees
finished in 37:11

I did record it but I had a late start (just now finished) was in such a hurry to get changed and get going that I threw my clothes on the bed and my bra is the most visible thing in the picture. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: It was a good workout, though! ;)

Hugs everyone, I will chat with you later!

Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.