Kettelbell Rotation

jackie7

Cathlete
Anybody have one? How does it fit in... as cardio or as strength? Thanks and Merry Christmas and a fit new year!

Love KB

Hi,

If you e-mail Lauren Brooks she will send you rotations for her DVDs. I was following her beginner rotation when her 3rd DVD arrived so I broke away from it to try her new workout.

This is what I tried for Christmas week:

Tues : Vol 1 fat blast and AOS firepower 1 alarm

Wed: Swings, Dead lifts, Cleans, Squats and Snatches + AOS Pinnacle

Thurs : Vol. 2 Fat Blast x 2

Friday : Vol. 3 KB + TRX

Sat: Rest

Sun : AOS Providence

I love AOS DVDs they are well produced and the exercise selection makes a lot of sense. Even when I do Providence which is moderately paced compared to all the other DVDs it still leaves me with that feeling of being thoroughly worked out the next day.

Fire Power is amazing. Nuff said. Just amazing. That's just the beginner part too. Don't know how I'd manage 3 alarms.

Newport I have but too afraid to try it. Maybe in 2 years.

Lauren Brooks I think will strip all the fat off anyone. I love the new DVD!!!

All without a lot of impact ( except for burpees and squat jumps of course)

Jackie,

I think of kettlebell workouts as circuits ~ both cardio and strength.

You can tailor your kettlebell workouts as cardio by doing swings and using the lighter bells to get more of a cardio feel. If you want more of a strength workout, go slower and use heavier bells.

Cupcake - I love Firepower!!

Hi Cupcake, I am very interested in this new DVD by Lauren Brooks. I have volumes 1 and 2. I was thinking of getting her DVD with "z-health" incorporated but it looks like getting volume 3 might be something I'd like more. How is volume 3 different from 1 and 2? Can you make any general comparisons? Is it worth buying all three? Also I read the description and saw mention of suspension exercises. What are they talking about there, and do you do those? Thanks in advance if you get a chance to write about this.

jackie7, re your questions, I also have the Lauren Brooks rotation, which she emailed me when I emailed her and asked for it (her email address is on her web site, ontheedgefitness.com). The rotation I have includes her main "ultimate" videos 1 and 2, and the other one with z-health (but I don't have the z-health DVD myself). That rotation essentially uses her KB workouts and then mixes in walking for cardio, but I usually mix in either a Cathe cardio DVD or something else because I prefer more intense cardio most days. In addition I tend to alternate KB workouts with other more classic weight types like Cathe's MM or ME. I think of a KB workout primarily as a strength/weight type of workout, though it does have some circuit aspects as it tends to raise your heart rate. But it does not raise my heart rate in the same fashion as something like Cathe's KPC, for example. I don't do a KB workout one day and any kind of weight lifting the next day, as I keep 48 hours between any strength training workouts. HTH!

Thanks

I viewed Lauren Brooks volume 3 dvd today. I think I can do the suspension exercises with my Perfect pull up bar and ab straps. ( Got the perfect pull up deluxe for $18 off Amazon.com)

Thanks everyone for your help.

LB Vol. 3

Hi Cupcake, I am very interested in this new DVD by Lauren Brooks. I have volumes 1 and 2. I was thinking of getting her DVD with "z-health" incorporated but it looks like getting volume 3 might be something I'd like more. How is volume 3 different from 1 and 2? Can you make any general comparisons? Is it worth buying all three? Also I read the description and saw mention of suspension exercises. What are they talking about there, and do you do those? Thanks in advance if you get a chance to write about this.

Hi,

Personally I would say all 3 volumes are worth it. I have only tried the KB + TRX version in the new DVD ( it just arrived on the 24th...) and my nephew had my TRX so I subbed her recommendations and it was still awesome. But if you want only 1 ... Vol. 3 is the newest.

It also requires two KB for certain drills but has mods for single KB users. I like her stuff because they get my HR going and are gruelling in a different way from AOS. Her abs are very inspiring. It's also cool seeing a girl swing those big KBs. Video Fitness has listed the exercises.

That being said, AOS has superior production values and I don't know how to explain it but after Providence... I am surprised to see my t-shirt drenched without doing anything that gruelling and the next day I do feel it. They say AOS is expensive but their stuff is worth it.

Fire Power ... ( don't like the way they filmed the warm up as the camera man must be on Nyquil but I skip it and the rest of it is great.) is tough as it does use double KB and once again the exercise selection is really good.

Plus I can watch that guy hip snap all day. I like that AOS is kind of on the same track as Athlete's Performance/Core Performance in the way that they are all about Movement Patterns. They seem very knowlegeable.

Hope this helps!

The Cake

Add: Suspension exercises using the TRX. Can be subbed no problem. TRX is pretty cool training tool, I use one with my trainer for some exercises and they are tough. During the holiday as I had to do stuff on my own and subbed a few barbell or db exercises for the TRX, I was surprised at how much easier they were in comparison.

Google TRX and you'll see what it's all about. I have the Army version. I'm very happy with it. Bought one for my nephew and he was absolutely thrilled.

Last edited:
LB vol.3

Hi,

I was able to do the Upper body and Lower body and core workouts on Wednesday and they were tough. The Upper body was a lot when compared to the lower body. It had very short rest periods in between and so it's a tad exhausting. It definitely moves along and so you won't get bored. I initially doubted if I could do the Lower body after the Upper but it wasn't that bad at all.

I doubt though that I'd ever do the upper body x 2 as is called for in the later part of her rotation. Lower body...yes.

My favorite would be the KB + TRX routine. This is a very good DVD to get.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.