Kathryn!!!

cecil

Cathlete
I was just wondering what your feeling is on cats and vaccines. What do you do for your cats-do you vaccinate them? Thank-you in advance!!
Lisa

Whoops! not Kathyrn.

I vaccinate because we allow them some outside time in the fenced backyard.

Have a great day!
Melissa

Hi, Lisa!
I vaccinate, but I don't do all shots every year. Some authorities say that they last far longer than 1 year. I do get rabies every year (because it's illegal not to, even if cats are house cats only), but the others only once every two years or so.

Not Kathyrn, either, but you need to be careful if you've gotten your pets from a shelter or if they spend time outside. It's especially important if you have multiple animals, since they all likely came from a variety of sources and who knows what they've been exposed to (poor things)?

My kitties are strictly indoor cats but I keep their vaccines updated because the first cat I ever had ended up dying from a disease he had picked up in the shelter as a kitten. (That was so traumatizing - he was the world's best cat.) Also, my one female ALWAYS wants to break out of the house even though she is fixed. What a ho! :)

Marie

Thank-you so much for everyone who replied-here my dilema-I am getting a persian and the breeder contract says you cannot vaccinate the cat. He has given the the kitten its first 3 shots and he says people overvaccinate cats-which I do believe. If the cat is to die within the first 2 years of life and its a genetic problem he will replace the cat for free only if the cat did not get any vaccines. My cat will only be in indoor cat and I was just wondering what you guys think of this. I am always leery of breeders but I fell in love with this kitten. Thank-you all for your replies!!! Have a great day!!
Lisa

I hope I did not sound awful in my last post when I said the breeder would replace the kitten-I could never replace any animal-when you get attached you get attached so I am sorry if I came across that way. I am only curious what anyone thinks about the vaccines-maybe I should not get the cat??
Lisa

Cecil,

This is probably going sound harsh but I disagree with the breeder. The breeder did not go to vet school and does not carry the degree. I work for the USDA and just asked one of our vets and he recommends that you do vaccinate on the schedule recommended by your vet.

Have a great day!
Melissa

Melissa,
No that does not sound harsh at all-Do you think I should not get the cat from this breeder?? Nothing sounds harsh to me I am asking for advice so please be honest and tell me what you think. Thank-you so much.
Sincerely,
Lisa

I think it's unfair of the breeder to put that kind of clause in the contract. So what if he'll "replace the cat" if it dies within a certain amount of time? The cat isn't a toaster - it's a living, breathing being and you can't just replace it if it's "defective".

I think you should seriously consider trying to find another breeder who won't have such stringent rules.

It might also be illegal to have that kind of clause in a contract of this sort. You should research the laws of your state.

It is likely the cat will be healthy and it's a moot point, but if you're paying a lot of money for an animal, you do want to ensure the health. I've never heard of a breeder insisting you can't vaccinate the cat. I would talk to my vet, I think, before moving ahead with the purchase.

Good luck - it's an odd spot to be in.

Marie

Honestly, I would not purchase from a breeder that tells you (no insists) that you should not vaccinate. Something is not right IMHO. Have a great day!

Melissa

Thank-you Marie,
I have a call into the vet and am waiting for them to call-I never have gotten a cat from a breeder and its so odd to me and yes the cat is expensive. I am not concerned about the money I am concerned about getting attached and haveing something happen. I know there are no guarentees in life but I lost a bird in April and I am still reeling over that. I guess you could say I am overlysensitive. I so appreciate you answering me!! Thank-you very much!
Lisa

Lisa, Check out your local animal shelter. I'm sure there are many loving and loveable cats there who don't come with a 'do not immunize' clause attached. ;-) If you're really set on a specific type of cat, they may be able to help you as well. Or visit www.petfinder.com to find a kitty and give him/her a second chance.

Kathryn,
Thank-you so much for your advice. I will be checking out the local shelters!! Have a great evening!!
Lisa

Sorry for butting in here, I know this post was for Kathryn.

There actually is a lot of discussion going on even among vets (even some non-naturopathic vets) if the yearly booster shots don't do more harm than good and the question is if they are really necessary.

My college roommate is a naturopathic veterinarian and she advises to do the initial series in cats and dogs which should be done within 18 months or 24 months. I was told that the yearly booster shots are completely unnecessary (it kind of makes sense to me, we don't give our kids booster shots every year, do we?)I also had seen quite a few adverse reactions in my pets after the yearly shots.

After talking to my friend, I also read several books about this subject, in my opinion the best one was Dr. Richard Pitcairn's "The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats and Dogs".

I still have my pets vaccinated against rabies since it is the law. But I stopped all other vaccinating with my two older dogs (8 and 10 years) when they were around 5 or 6 years (based on the info that I had and the research I have done on this). The puppy does his regular "puppy schedule" in vaccines right now.

Some people may find this wrong, but this is a decision we as a family made based on the information we gathered (and no, it was not money or budget-related) Other families may come to a different conclusion and do the yearly booster shots, and that is ok, too!

As to the breeder, I actually applaud her for taking a stand if this is his/her conviction. To me it shows, that she cares about the animals he/she puts into new homes and isn't just out to sell them quick to whoever comes up with the $$. Not everyone may agree with her convictions and I am sure she will be running a risk of loosing some potential pet owners.
I guess it is a free market, if you are uncomfortable with not vaccinating a cat, don't get a cat from that breeder. If I wasn't convinced one way or another, I wouldn't let myself get locked into a contract that I am not sure I can or want to adhere to.

So, whatever you do, good luck with your new kitten. Keep us posted about your new family member!

Carola

Forgot to say, that we also have 3 outside cats, I did the initial series on them and then only do the rabies every 2 or 3 years. One of my cats is 12 1/2 years now and we got her 8 or 9 years ago. No sign of disease on her, she has never been sick and she sure puts the dogs in their place - she definately is the queen of the castle ;-)

Take care,

Carola

Carola,

Thank-you so very much for your post!! I have read so much information and alot of vets are now realizing not to overvaccinate.
I called and spoke to my vet and they also said to do the initial series and then since he will be indoor only I should not need to vaccinate again. I did decide to get the kitten-I will get him in a week and a half-Carola I think you live in Arizona so do I and the kitten is in Chandler. Thank-you so much for your post I so appreciate it!! Have a wonderful day!!
Lisa

> I did decide to get the kitten-I
>will get him in a week and a half.

Be sure to post pictures when you get him!

Hi Lisa,

yes, I live in Ahwatukee. Where do you live? So glad you got the kitten!!!

By the way, do you have any recommendations for a vet? I am still looking for a good vet around here, since mine left a few years ago.

Have a wonderful day!

Carola

Kathryn I will post pictures as soon as I get them!! Thank-you!!
Carola, I live in Surprise so for my birds I use Dr. Frank she is at central/dunlap in Phoenix but for my cats (since it is a long drive) I use Dr. Erickson in Surprise. My cats do not like to be in the car!! But my birds love to go for a drive!! I love love love Dr. Frank she is absolutely the best vet I have ever brought my animals to. If I could get the cats to her I would. Ahwatukee is a haul from me-it is so hard to find a vet you feel comfortable with as I dont have any children and my animals are my children. I know the persian breeder has a vet he loves in Chandler and next week I will ask him who he goes to and I will let you know it may be closer to you.
Enjoy your day!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.