Just finished a good book...

Kristin Hannah's Firefly Lane It was a light read that made me laugh and cry. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters. It was a nice change after reading the whole Sookie Stackhouse southern vampire series!

What books are you reading right now?

Jenn

I couldn't read any other books for awhile! I was so addicted to Sookie!! I also DVRd the True Blood series on HBO and watched the entire first 2 seasons. Sooooooo good! Now I am waiting on book 10 to be released in May and season three of True Blood in June. I had favorites in the series, but I enjoyed them all!

Jenn

Ohhhhh....BOOKS!!!!!

Reading "Shalador's Queen" By Anne Bishop and a smut book I have at home, can't recall the title. Also have started the Argenuea (sp?) Vampires and have books 6 & 7 at home. Tried the Sookie books, couldn't get into it. Who names a vampire Bill? WTH????? Lost me right away on those.

Nan

I loved that his name was Bill. There are a lot of funny moments in the series and "Vampire Bill' always made me smile, since it is such an unlikely name.

Find the title of your smut book and pass it along :)

Jenn

I read Firefly Lane last year and liked it, but it was so sad.

I don't read very much fiction. Right now I'm reading a book called, Boundaries with Kids.

Erica

I also read the whole series of Sookie Stackhouse and waiting for the last book.

The only thing I didn't like is the constant description of wardrobe the characters were wearing. Other than that, it was a read I couldn't understand why I shouldn't put the book down. But I couldn't. It just draws you in.

I also got "True Blood" from Netflix, (waiting for the next season). Love that series! Very close to what the books are, but even better IMO. Glad it happened that way, usually it's just the opposite way. What a nice surprise.

Very unusual, but then maybe that's what draws me.

Firefly Lane sounds like a good book to get.

Janie

Last edited:
I think I like the series better, too, Janie. In the books, I grew tired of some of the descriptions, too. Like how Sookie always says how she is used to hiding her emotions or her reactions to what people say, since she has had so much experience. I know that the books are supposed to stand alone, but realistically they are a part of a series and people should read them in order and not be reminded constantly of things that happened in precious books.

That being said, sometimes there are reminders (in this and other series by different authors) that I forget about and are kind of necessary for the reader if you forgot!

I am reading True Colors now, by Kristin Hannah. There was a preview of it in Firefly Lane that got me hooked. I also have a list of books to get from Amazon (thanks to these kids of threads!!).

Jenn

Hello. I read Fire Fly Lane a few months ago. I bought it for $1.00 at my library. I started off really liking it then I didn't like it towards the middle. Easy read but a little to smushy, girlie for me sorta soap operaish. Of course I read All the Lovely Bones right before I read that so it was a totally different vibe.
I also have read every single one of Charlean Harris's books. :eek: I was throughly unimpressed with her newer Grave Series book but I do love the True Blood series. Easy, vampire read and enjoyable. I can't wait till the next one comes out. Bill vs. Eric. I'm still on team Eric.
Right now I'm reading The Lottery.

Find the title of your smut book and pass it along :)

Jenn

"Instinctive: An Eternal Pleasure Novel" by Cathryn Fox. I've only read the 1st couple pages, but it starts out in a, ahem, "special interests club". Its gotta be interesting, right?

Nan

Last edited:
I just put myself on the wait list for James Pattersons Womens Murder Club number 9 which comes out next month and Janet Evanovichs number 16 coming out in June.

Typically, I like Kristin Hannah and so was happy to pick up her latest, Winter Garden. 100 pages in and the narrative is so going absolutely NOWHERE and so I dumped it back at the library. A selfish as hell sister, a self-sacrificing sister on the verge of losing her husband and a mother who has shunned them both her whole life and made them the way they are. Ok, but you know what, when you become an adult, you no longer get to blame everything on your parents and crappy childhood: go off and be an adult already, get some therapy and for god's sake, learn how to love and let others in.

Phew, needless to say, this book did not work for me.

Clare

I will avoid that one, Clare! I feel the same way! Everyone has something awful about their childhood/life in some way. You need to get over it and live! I am a few chapters into True Colors and I like it so far.

Jenn:)

I have Jodi Picoult's new release -- House Rules -- on my bedside table, but I haven't started it yet. I know I won't be able to put it down, and I already don't want it to be over!!

Typically, I like Kristin Hannah and so was happy to pick up her latest, Winter Garden. 100 pages in and the narrative is so going absolutely NOWHERE and so I dumped it back at the library. A selfish as hell sister, a self-sacrificing sister on the verge of losing her husband and a mother who has shunned them both her whole life and made them the way they are. Ok, but you know what, when you become an adult, you no longer get to blame everything on your parents and crappy childhood: go off and be an adult already, get some therapy and for god's sake, learn how to love and let others in.

Phew, needless to say, this book did not work for me.

Clare

Clare,

You should start an "Ask Clare" website or blog. You could answer literary questions, grammar questions, over training questions, nutrition questions, and parenting questions. You got it all going on!

BTW, what are you reading now?

:D

Jane Austen addict's choice

I'm a total Jane Austen addict!!! I have read and re-read, "What would Jane Austen do?"

It's not a typical period book like Pride & Predjudice, etc.. It's a modern day tale of time-travel and it is absolutely captivating!! I seriously took the book with me everywhere I went and could not put it down. It would be sooo cool if they made it into a movie.

Okay, now I need to pick it up and start all over again!! Thanks you literary enabler!!

Pam

Pam, that sounds very interesting!

I'm just finishing Let The Great World Spin, and after that I won't get to choose my own books anymore. I'm in a reading group, and I have to read whatever the group says. Of course, all the choices will be good, and probably great, but I won't get to follow my moods anymore. Considering how moody I am, it's going to be a challenge for me.

I know what you mean, Nancy! There are times that I have to put a book down and read something else, depending on my mood and what is going on with my life.

I read sad when I am feeling happy and happy when I am feeling sad. Reading sad books when I am sad is just too depressing and I can't shake the feeling during the day and become obsessed with the characters.

I have a few new books to add to my Amazon list! Thanks!!

Jenn

I just finished reading my first autobiography, Open by Andre Agassi. One of my students recommended it and I remembered seeing something about it when it came out on the Today Show. It is not what I typically read but for whatever reason I couldn't put it down. I am not a tennis fan but I knew who he was and he is only a few years older than me. A lot of the tennis rules I didn't know but was able to follow along. A very interesting, easy read.

Clare,

You should start an "Ask Clare" website or blog. You could answer literary questions, grammar questions, over training questions, nutrition questions, and parenting questions. You got it all going on!

BTW, what are you reading now?

:D

Janis:

what a sweetheart you are! Thank you for the compliment. That is far and away the nicest thing anyone has said to me for a loooong time!

At the moment I am reading a book by Deborah Crombie, called "Where Memories Lie." It is a detective mystery based in London, written by a Texan who does an incredible job recreating all the different districts, classes, characters, speech patterns and cultural types who abound in London. I love her mysteries because not only are they a slice of British reality for me, and London is my home town, but also because she knows that crimes committed in the present very often cannot be solved without first exploring the past, sometimes the recent past, sometimes the past of decades gone by. In this story, Erica Rosenthal, elderly neighbour of one of the lead detectives, Gemma James, is shocked to see an art deco brooch, designed by her father and given to her on the eve of her flight from nazi Germany back in the 30s, turn up for acution at Sothebys in London. She last saw it in Germany, where she misplaced it.....and somehow this brooch will be linked to the murder of Rosenthal's husband later in 1940s London, and the murder of the detective who investigated her husband's death at the time, and also a recent hit and run upon a young girl who worked for Sothebys and who sought her 4% commission for bringing the art deco brooch for sale at auction......

There are many mysteries in the Deborah Crombie series starring Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid. I recommend them all.

After that, I am going to delve into the story of Henrietta Lacks and her cancerous cells and how these same cells harvested from her disease ridden body without her consent years ago have helped scientists develop cancer treatments and understand the different cancer diseases. It is a book of social history, medical ethics and social justice.

What are you reading?!?!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.