July 2015 Fit and Patriotic Mommas Check-in

Hi Lisa,
Ohhhhh no! I'm so sorry to hear DD1 is has a tummy bug again! How is she doing today? Did anyone sleep last night?

Nice nice nice work on XTrain Legs. Love that one -- definitely a burner!

Today was bench press, but I lightened up a bit as my expert spotter was at work!
Bench Press 5x2 110, 105, 100, 100, 100
1x5 95
Suspended pushups 6x6 (my suspension trainer was upstairs and I didn't feel like going up, so I did regular pushups for 3x12)
Inverted rows 6x6 (did these on the power tower for 3x12)
Barbell curls 4x10 50

Then I added on The Bar Exam, LWF2 barbell under 20. Loved it! Enjoying practicing new moves!

Gotta run and get a few things done before DD wakes from her nap. Big hugs and hope you're all on the road to rest and recovery!!
Roz

Hi Lisa,
I hope you all got some sleep last night, and sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery for DD1!

Deadlift 5x2 225 (old PR), 235 (!!), 225, 230, 225 (my last heavy DL workout with Nia, so thought I should go for a nice fat PR, and got it! :D )
1x5 210
Glute bridge 6x6
Last week I'd done 3x12 for 205#, but it was just getting too annoying to heave that bar over myself, so I tried the hip thrust today (since it's a more challenging version of the glute bridge, i.e., you can handle more load with the glute bridge). Wasn't sure the proper load for myself, so I worked up, but I didn't hit my max yet. I just didn't feel like fussing with the barbell anymore so I combined the last two sets into 1x12, so it was...
Hip thrust 4x6 125, 145, 165, 185
1x12 185

I was supposed to do ab wheel rollouts for 6x6, but I worked them into my LWF2 finisher. I did The Antidote and subbed rollouts for straight-leg sit-ups. This one is killer if you pick the right loads! I did very deep squats for the squats. Enjoying working those.

Oh! And re: learning new moves with LWF2, I've found that the 'intermediate' workouts aren't necessarily easier than the advanced, they just have more straightforward moves, for the most part. So, maybe start with those and add some advanced ones as you learn new moves? Just a thought. Today's LWF2 was killer, but was just squats, straight-leg sit-ups, push presses (basically squat presses where you use momentum to push the bar overhead), and inverted rows. I subbed barbell rows for inverted rows for the last couple sets, because I felt like it.

OK, gotta run, DD is getting into trouble. Big hugs and hope you all are doing OK!!!
Roz

Hi Lisa,
Quick check in for me -- hope you all are doing OK and sickness hasn't laid you low! :) / :(

Today I did Bye Bye Birdie (minimal equipment under 30). I chose it because it was more 'straight cardio' looking, and my arms are toast. I did the pyramid down (as written) then added a pyramid back up. I didn't time, but with my full inverted pyramid, it was probably ~30 mins.
Fun, loved it! DD enjoyed using the sliders, but didn't want to share when the mountain climbers came up each circuit. :)

Hugs, and healing wishes,
Roz

Hi Roz,

High fives for your hard work the past few days! I love how you went BIG with your Nia weights, finishing super strong. You go, girl! So proud of you. Also love the fun your having with the LWF2 workouts. Seems like you're in a really great workout groove. :)

This stomach bug has been awful. Thankfully DD2 only seemed moderately affected, as in she was fussier than normal for a couple days but didn't have a temperature and didn't have any major "explosions" in her diaper or massive spit-ups. DD1 recovered quickly but then my DH and I got slammed. DH was down for about 24 hours but I've been feeling rotten since Wednesday night. I'm just barely starting to feel somewhat normal again. I literally slept for 18 out of 24 hours on Thursday. That never happens. Obviously, DH had to take time off from work to accommodate that (bless his heart). Ugh, the stomach bug is just an epidemic here. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, it is always going around. We've lived in many places and it's never been as bad as it is here, and in fact I don't really even remember people even talking about getting stomach sick. But here, it seems like at least one family we know is always dealing with it. I am soooooooo not a fan of this. We're clean freaks and germophobes, but no amount of hand washing or cleaning seems to prevent it. :(

Anyway, hoping to return back on Monday as my happy, peppy, healthy self! Looking forward to feeling human again! ;)

Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

Lisa

Lisa!
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful family tummy bug. I'm glad that your DH could stay home and allow you to rest (hooray!), but geez... what a terrible thing to have going around your neighborhoor (or city). Awww, hugs, Lisa! That's lousy and 100% no fun at all. I wish I could come help! :(

We've had a busy couple days here, but I got in my last two non-deload Nia workouts! Bittersweet -- I'll miss it!
Yesterday's UB:
Standing OH Press 5x2 80
1x5 70
a) Parallel Bars Dips 6x6
b) Chinups 6x6 (unassisted 6, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2)
Then I added on The Flex Capacitor (BB under 20) -- yowza! :eek:

I got in squats today before lunch with guests, but I had to keep it moving!
Squats 5x2 160, 170, 165, 160, 160
1x5 130 (very deep squats)
a) supposed to be reverse lunges for 6x6, but I did three sets of pistols x 6 and three sets of DB deep front squats with a pause at the bottom (2x30#)
b) Leg raise on power tower (I actually superset these with the main squat sets because I was in a hurry!) -- I added 5# of ankle weights, too.

I am going to try to get all my deloads done in the next 5 days (won't be hard) before we have family visit next week. I may just choose LWF2 workouts that use similar movement patterns instead of just straight lighter/higher rep sets.

OK, that's all for now -- I'm sending you all all of my best healing wishes. Hope this illness passes soon!!!
xoxoxo
Roz

Hi Lisa,
Quick check-in for me... I'm sending you tons of healing virtual hugs!!! (and saltines and ginger ale... :()
For my bench press deload today I did All Rung Out (subbing double DB rows for chins) and Dance Off (subbing pushups for front squats). Basically I did a zillion pushups, some one-arm floor presses, and some other fun stuff in there! :)
Then I fashioned my own 100-rep biceps curl challenge. Different variations using mostly 15# DBs (with 10# for a little 'break' in the middle).
I like making my own deload, doing high-reps of horizontal UB pressing and pulling plus biceps curls (which is essentially what this workout is about).
Tomorrow's DL deload!
Gotta run -- hope you're recuperating!
Roz

Lisa!
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful family tummy bug. I'm glad that your DH could stay home and allow you to rest (hooray!), but geez... what a terrible thing to have going around your neighborhoor (or city). Awww, hugs, Lisa! That's lousy and 100% no fun at all. I wish I could come help! :(

We've had a busy couple days here, but I got in my last two non-deload Nia workouts! Bittersweet -- I'll miss it!
Yesterday's UB:
Standing OH Press 5x2 80
1x5 70
a) Parallel Bars Dips 6x6
b) Chinups 6x6 (unassisted 6, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2)
Then I added on The Flex Capacitor (BB under 20) -- yowza! :eek:

I got in squats today before lunch with guests, but I had to keep it moving!
Squats 5x2 160, 170, 165, 160, 160
1x5 130 (very deep squats)
a) supposed to be reverse lunges for 6x6, but I did three sets of pistols x 6 and three sets of DB deep front squats with a pause at the bottom (2x30#)
b) Leg raise on power tower (I actually superset these with the main squat sets because I was in a hurry!) -- I added 5# of ankle weights, too.

I am going to try to get all my deloads done in the next 5 days (won't be hard) before we have family visit next week. I may just choose LWF2 workouts that use similar movement patterns instead of just straight lighter/higher rep sets.

OK, that's all for now -- I'm sending you all all of my best healing wishes. Hope this illness passes soon!!!
xoxoxo
Roz
MomInVT I was looking back and you have made great gains with Nia!! Congrats on the hard work! I am ordering it today (hopefully), My cart to order won't let me change, and I have about 4 orders on it!! I was pleased to see your progress and hopefully it will work as well for me.

:cool:Roz, thanks for being such a sweetheart. My tummy still has it's ups and downs but I'm getting there. Felt study enough to do a live workout from June, Low Impact Cardio & Weights + Step. Very much like a freshened up Athletic Training. Sweat everywhere, even dripping from my knees and calves!

Shedding a tear as you get ready to move on from this particular Nia program. Love your plan to finish and keep workin' it w/LWF2 when you have visitors. Have you picked up one of Nia's t-shirts or tanks? They are on sale right now but I think today is the last day. You totally can boastfully wear one of her LLAG tops!

MomInVT I was looking back and you have made great gains with Nia!! Congrats on the hard work! I am ordering it today (hopefully), My cart to order won't let me change, and I have about 4 orders on it!! I was pleased to see your progress and hopefully it will work as well for me.

tslop, Congrats on your purchase. Roz was a rockstar before working Nia's plan but NOW she's in the Hall of Fame. ;) She's done amazing with BBA and so will you. Yay!!!

High fives all around :cool:!

Lisa

Lisa, sorry you've still got the grumblies, but glad you're on the up-and-up and were able to work out today! Wahoo! Nice work and high fives! :D
tslop, glad you're jumping on the BBA-nd wagon! I've made a lot of progress, learned a ton, and had a blast. I think you'll really enjoy it. I loved my most recent BBA program (Simple Strength 2) -- take a look at it if you're considering a 4-day split.
Roz

Roz, I will. I think I would like a 4 day split. Its time to shake things up a bit. I feel like I have ignored or at least minimized a lot of functional strength workouts and think it's time to try a program like this. I feel bad about chiming in on this thread especially because I definitely am an outsider here, but I saw that you were doing BBA and was curious as to your results and even in a fairly short time your results were great!! I hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable. Thanks for your encouragement!!

Hi Lisa,
Hope today's yet another step on your road to recuperation! Is the household sleeping at night again (as much as a household with two little ones can expect to sleep)?

Today for my deadlift deload, I did the Dellanavich. All I can say is, HOLY MOLY! :eek: So simple, yet so mean. And by so mean, I mean so fun. :)
I did 33 rounds in 30 minutes (it's AMRAP), so that's 165 conventional deadlifts (at 135#) and 66 pullups (all but 12 of which were assisted -- my arms were just too toasted after yesterday's pushup extravaganza)! Seriously, I'm loving the simple ones. This one and All Rung Out are two faves so far. (I enjoy the more complex ones, too.)

I think we'll go for a hike tomorrow, and I'll give these old bones a break -- pretty sure they deserve it after 165 deadlifts. Then Thurs and Fri will be UB and squat deloads. Family arrives Saturday -- I'll be taking a break then (and walking, hiking, lifting babies, etc.).

Roz, I will. I think I would like a 4 day split. Its time to shake things up a bit. I feel like I have ignored or at least minimized a lot of functional strength workouts and think it's time to try a program like this. I feel bad about chiming in on this thread especially because I definitely am an outsider here, but I saw that you were doing BBA and was curious as to your results and even in a fairly short time your results were great!! I hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable. Thanks for your encouragement!!
tslop, I'm glad the info on Nia here was helpful to you! I think I can speak for both Lisa and myself when I say, anyone's welcome to pop by for a virtual cup of tea. I hope you enjoy the program. Nia's great -- you can always email her with questions. I also found her video tutorials really useful.

Hi Lisa,
Hope today's yet another step on your road to recuperation! Is the household sleeping at night again (as much as a household with two little ones can expect to sleep)?

Today for my deadlift deload, I did the Dellanavich. All I can say is, HOLY MOLY! :eek: So simple, yet so mean. And by so mean, I mean so fun. :)
I did 33 rounds in 30 minutes (it's AMRAP), so that's 165 conventional deadlifts (at 135#) and 66 pullups (all but 12 of which were assisted -- my arms were just too toasted after yesterday's pushup extravaganza)! Seriously, I'm loving the simple ones. This one and All Rung Out are two faves so far. (I enjoy the more complex ones, too.)

I think we'll go for a hike tomorrow, and I'll give these old bones a break -- pretty sure they deserve it after 165 deadlifts. Then Thurs and Fri will be UB and squat deloads. Family arrives Saturday -- I'll be taking a break then (and walking, hiking, lifting babies, etc.).
Roz..If that's a deload ( 165 deads and 66 pullups) I'm in trouble!!! I hear they are auditioning for the part of Supergirl in Hollywood!!

Roz..If that's a deload ( 165 deads and 66 pullups) I'm in trouble!!! I hear they are auditioning for the part of Supergirl in Hollywood!!

Yes, tslop, join us for our virtual tea party anytime. You don't need to be a momma to join this crazy club. :)

Workout today = Tracey Staehle Step Sweatfest. Nice steady state cardio that my tummy could handle. It's still bugging me.

Roz, to answer your question, YES! Hallelujah's being shouted from the rooftop. DD2 has slept 12 hours straight for 4 nights in a row. Knock knock knock on wood, but I'm hoping a pattern is developing. But don't worry---we still had the opportunity to get up in the middle of the night to tell DD1 to go to bed (she had to take Elmo on a stroller tour of the upstairs hallway at 3:30am, don't ya know). Sheesh!

So proud of you and your accomplishments with Nia. Can't say it enough! Enjoy your hike or alternative movement tomorrow.

Hugs and saltines (ugh!).

Lisa

Hi Roz, get in a good hike today with added baby carrier weight? ;)

I opted for M1 disc 6 legs because, as you already know, I like to randomly pull out M1 legs for endurance leg work. Had lots of fun with it! Also, I think of you at the end when Cathe says "please join us for the extended stretch" and laugh as I envision you shouting "no way!!!" at the screen since you are...hmmm, how shall we say it?...not a "fan" of the STS Extended Stretch routine. :)

Hope you're having a good day. Another solid night of sleep for my little one. Yayayayaya!

Mucho Hugs.

Lisa

Happy Thursday, Roz!

Busy day over here for us: preschool, trip downtown, a certain little one growing 1 week older (she's almost 3 months old now!), and same certain little one being on the cusp of rolling over from back to tummy. Oh my, she is sooooo determined to make this happen. Practice makes perfect and she cannot stop from practicing. Yikes, I think I'm in for it! ;)

Wanted to do some sort of UB split this week so opted for XTrain Chest Back Shoulders, which means XTrain Biceps and Triceps will happen in the next day or two. I almost grabbed the GS series but I didn't feel like doing the drop set push-ups. Thankfully XTrain is lighter on the push-ups, but I still got a great workout.

Hope you're loving life and loving this day! XOXO!

Lisa

Hi Lisa!
Sorry I haven't been here for a couple days... we've been busy and are getting ready for guests this weekend (so I'll be absent again).

Amazing, amazing workouts! M1 legs and XTrain CBS -- I'm loving it!

DD is about to wake up, so I must be brief, and I won't have time to check back post-workout today, I don't think.
I didn't get a hike in the other day -- just wasn't feeling well, so I rested.
Yesterday I did several chin-up-heavy LWF2 workouts for my UB deload, and today I'll do one with a bunch of squats. Wow -- that will be my last BBA workout (though I guess it's LWF2, but you know...)! I can't believe it! I've LOVED the program and have made so much progress. Sooooo happy I found it.
I do think GSF2 is next in line, but I'll probably do LWF2 for a week or two before that. Maybe not, I'll see where I'm at once guests leave.

SO much going on for you, rolling over, preschool -- so exciting! I will get to my email after this weekend, I hope. Life gets so busy sometimes, you know? :)
Big, big hugs!
Roz

Hi Roz,

Yes, you are one busy woman! Enjoy your visit with your guests and hope you can squeeze in those workouts you desire to do amidst your busy-ness. ;)

Yesterday I did 80's Style Cardio Live for the second time, I think. Looooove that Live.

Today I did XTrain BT as promised. Topped it off with X10 Hi/Lo Circuit.

Have a terrific weekend and see you whenever you have time. No worries on the email, either. Communication with you, my friend, is worth being patient for. :)

HUGS!

Lisa

Hi Lisa!
Great work on your workouts! Yes, I share your love for '80s style cardio -- that one is a winner, for sure!
So... I tried my first GSF2 workout today! I really enjoyed it. I discussed it a bit in the Nia thread. I feel it's going to be a fun adventure and I'm going to learn a lot.
I'm using Adaptifier (website that Dave, the GSF2 author, created to track your workouts and progress). You get a free year with LWF2 (beginning whenever you create your Adaptifier account). I'll see if I can copy the summary from my workout here.
Have you read through the GSF2 materials? Basically there are options/macro-variations for moves (e.g., today I had to do one of the following: barbell back squat, barbell front squat, or goblet squat). You use biofeedback testing (I did the toe-touch test) to see how your body 'likes' each movement. He gives you a rep range, but you keep doing set after set (testing after each set) until the movement stops testing well.
Here's today's workout (Movement, Load, Sets/TOTAL Reps, Volume [reps x pounds], Time, Density [pounds per minute, I think])
Barbell Back Squat 125 7/31 3875 12:45 304
Bodyweight Lateral Lunge 135 10/8 1080 14:45 73
Valslide SHELC 135 5/10 1350 04:30 300
Total 6305 32:00 197
Different, right?! Oh well, change is good! :D

OK, my dear fit-mama-friend, I hope you're well! Did you have a great rest Sunday?
I probably won't lift again until Wednesday, so I'll likely be absent tomorrow -- I'm also just generally feeling overwhelmed by the stuff I have to do, so I might not have as much time to check in this month. I will definitely be here and keep you updated on my progress with GSF2!
Hope both your sweet gals are happy and healthy and bringing you lots of smiles! :)
Big hugs,
Roz

Hi Roz!

Spot on workout for you, as alawys! The biofeedback testing sounds interesting. There are so many interesting fitness-based tests out there that I'd love to give a whirl. Glad it comes with the GSF2, which I have not looked into yet. I'll get there, though! :) Love the access to Adaptifier. I'm definitely a workout tracker-aholic. I use Cathe's WM religiously.

Yep, Sunday was a rest day. Monday I had fun with Lean Lower Body Live (from January, I think) and today I did some cardio with KCM's Step Boxing workout (the original version).

Sorry you are feeling so busy. HUGS!!! Find some time to take care of yourself and relax with a cuppa tea here and there. Summertime truly is so jam packed. I'll try to keep logging in daily, rambling about my workouts. You just pop in when you can. No worries.

We're all doing well over here. Please give your sweetie a big squeeze from me. I can just imagine what a big girl she is becoming, growing up and getting cuter and sassier by the day, no doubt. ;)

XOXO!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.