John Mayer anyone?

toughYrun

Cathlete
For Mother's Day my DD gave me a pair of tickets to see John Mayer in concert. All I knew about him at the time was what I read on the covers of the tabloids while standing in line at the grocery store. After she gave me the tickets I bought a couple of his CDs and was completely underwhelmed by his music. I didn't think it was bad, just kind of blah.

So, the concert was last night. Now, I've been to some heavy duty rock concerts in my day (Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Lynrd Skynrd, Styx, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Jethro Tull, etc, etc....you get the picture). As I've grown older I haven't expanded my horizons very much, clinging to my child-of-the-70s rock bands. Well, let me just say that John Mayer was as good, if not better than any concert I have ever been too!!! EVER!! This man is one heck of a talented guitar player, his band is awesome and his show just totally blew both me and DH away.

DH had to go to work this morning at 4am to tackle a huge install of a new computer application but John Mayer caused us to toss aside our very responsible plan of skipping out early so DH could get home to bed at a decent hour.

If an opportunity to see his show arises again, I'll be there. Front row!

I really like him. To see in on TV though is too distracting b/c of something he does with his tongue to form some of his words. Silly of me, I know, but one of those things. I do love his music. Unfortunately, and FYI for anyone considering his CD, the censored one is more pleasant IMO. I can't listen to the other one, which my DH bought for me unknowingly, with my daughter around b/c of the F word coming out very clearly in one of his songs.

John Mayer?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)
If you want to hear a great guitarist get thee to a Derek Trucks show or even better catch him when he is on tour with his wife, Susan Tedeschi.

Do not like John Mayer...I'm sure he's a very nice guy, and I think he was funny on David Chappel's show, but, he's not my cup-o-tea.

I really loved his first CD. It was unlike his next ones. I've been a fan since that came out six years ago or so. However, I'm not a huge fan of his more poppy sounding stuff. Glad you enjoyed the concert!!

Hi Cathy, I called DH a bit ago and so far his lack of sleep has not yet hit him. He'll probably be there until 10pm though and will have to go back in at the butt crack of dawn again tomorrow. He'll eventually regret that we stayed almost to the end last night, I'm sure.

Stephanie, That's just it, there was NOTHING "poppy" sounding about his show last night. I was taken by complete suprise.

TeTe, I still have little to no interest in listening to his CDs because, to me, they are quite boring and not my cup of tea either.

Beavs, I have no idea who Dereck Trucks is, nor Susan Tedeschi...... I've seen better guitar players than John Mayer but John Mayer is still good. And given the size of the crowd last night, I don't think I'm the only one who holds that opinion.

meowracers, Yeah. He does do a funny thing with his mouth when he sings.

Do remember that Vanilla Ice once filled stadiums ;)
If you (meaning any one of you out there!) truly claim to be a fan of great guitarists (Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, Eddie Van Halen to name a few) then I do highly recommend you give Derek a listen.

Isn't he the guy who sings that awful song about fathers and daughters? I'm sure he's a very talented artist though, I just can't handle that one song. ;)

I do really like one of his tunes...I can't think of the name of it but he's singing something about his high school. It reminds me of good time in Florida...where I first heard the song. Margaritas...:p

John Mayer?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)
If you want to hear a great guitarist get thee to a Derek Trucks show or even better catch him when he is on tour with his wife, Susan Tedeschi.

I love Susan Tedeschi! I saw her in concert at the Irving Plaza in NYC quite some time ago. It was amazing!

can't say i am a big fan of his music,maybe a few songs here and there, but i will tell you he is one fine piece of man :p

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.