Jillian Michaels Workouts

Irisg1

Cathlete
I was just wondering if any of you have tried Jillian Michaels of "The Biggest Loser" workouts. I just ordered from Deepdiscountdvd her 5 pack DVD set. I ordered on impulse because I had a 20% discount coupon, bringing the cost to only $25. I tried to cancel within hours, but it had already gone through. I've read some of the reviews on collage, and see many people find her annoying. She seems to have a drill seargeant type approach, and while some people feel they need that, I think it will just annoy me. Anyway, if any of you have tried her workouts, or actually do them, please give me your opinions. I have the option of refusing the package when it arrives, but I want to be a little more open and ask for opinions here, since a lot of you are very knowledgeable on different types of workouts.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I have a couple of her workouts, but I have only done one of them. I think I did the upper body/chest one. It was so long ago that I don't remember details, I just remember that it really wasn't my cup of tea. I have made HUGE fitness strides since finding Cathe, so I may go back and try them again, eventually. Suffice to say, I wasn't impressed.

Hi, I had her Maximize? series, the two workouts after the "shape up", and they were pretty tough. They were very short, less than a half hour each. Th exersizes are bootcamp, functional style. I used an 8 inch step but in hindsight probably should have started with a six. She really gets your heart rate up and keeps it up, but has an almost non-existant cool down and stretch. I would walk or jog for a half an hour before and then do one or the other. Very high impact! I sold them because eventually the dread factor kicked in, they are difficult and I need more nurturing I guess. She's very matter of fact. You may like them!

Sally

I have the first toninmg series. I liked her personality but just wished she divided the tapes by upper and lower instead of frontside/backside. I think they are good workouts for the price.

I have the maximize set and the cardio kickbox dvd. I, too, don't like how she divides "front side/backside" either. I would rather have her divide upper and lower body, but I understand her reasoning for doing this (the heart has to work harder to shunt blood back and forth from upper to lower body, thus burning more calories).

This workout did not have enough sets and reps for someone looking to achieve muscular gains, and it is high impact thru-out. Ab exercises are interspersed between the weight work, so be prepared to go from floor to standing and back to floor. It might be a good challenge for a lower intermediate exerciser, but I would not suggest it if you are serious about looking to build muscle.

Her cardio kickbox workout is decent, but way too short. She is an okay instructor, what bothers me about her is she is always picking on an exerciser in the background instead of following along with her own instructions. I guess some might like this but this style just isn't for everyone.:+ Hope this helps!

Starla

I have the maximize set and the cardio kickbox dvd. I, too, don't like how she divides "front side/backside" either. I would rather have her divide upper and lower body, but I understand her reasoning for doing this (the heart has to work harder to shunt blood back and forth from upper to lower body, thus burning more calories).

This workout did not have enough sets and reps for someone looking to achieve muscular gains, and it is high impact thru-out. Ab exercises are interspersed between the weight work, so be prepared to go from floor to standing and back to floor. It might be a good challenge for a lower intermediate exerciser, but I would not suggest it if you are serious about looking to build muscle.

Her cardio kickbox workout is decent, but way too short. She is an okay instructor, what bothers me about her is she is always picking on an exerciser in the background instead of following along with her own instructions. I guess some might like this but this style just isn't for everyone.:+ Hope this helps!

Starla

Thank you all for answering my post.

Starla, the one thing that made me try to cancel my order once I placed it, is exactly what you described. I saw a clip on Collage where she placed her hand in front of a girl, as she was jogging, knees high, and had her touch her hand with the knee each time. The girl missed her hand twice and she was yelling at her for not touching. That bugged me, and I can just see myself doing the workout once, and not wanting to bother with it again. Although, one never knows. I guess I've gotten spoiled with instructors like Cathe, who don't have to act like a drill sargeant and still help you achieve a great workout.

I'm definitely leaning towards marking the package "Refused - Return to Sender", which is what Discountdvds suggested.

Iris

Thank you all for answering my post.

Starla, the one thing that made me try to cancel my order once I placed it, is exactly what you described. I saw a clip on Collage where she placed her hand in front of a girl, as she was jogging, knees high, and had her touch her hand with the knee each time. The girl missed her hand twice and she was yelling at her for not touching. That bugged me, and I can just see myself doing the workout once, and not wanting to bother with it again. Although, one never knows. I guess I've gotten spoiled with instructors like Cathe, who don't have to act like a drill sargeant and still help you achieve a great workout.

I'm definitely leaning towards marking the package "Refused - Return to Sender", which is what Discountdvds suggested.

Iris

I rented that one you just mentioned Iris. And if I recall correctly, the girl who missed brining her knees to Jillian's hands was the modifier. I didn’t care for her "tough" way of speaking. For me, it's not encouraging.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.