Jeans for fall!

newswoman13

Cathlete
Okay, okay. I know there was a jeans thread not too long ago, but face it. We always need to update secrets in the jeans department!

Since all of our bodies are different, how about posting:

*What have you found to work for *your* body type?
*What style/cut? (skinny, boot cut, loose fit, curvy, etc.)
*How do those jeans hold up?
*Do they stretch in the butt late in the day?
*Cost?

I'll be on a jeans hunt soon after some research, and I'll update my buys for this season, but....

As far as last season, I liked Express jeans, but I quickly found I have to wash them after wearing them because they stretch and sag too much. I want something that's leg-flattering -- I will not wear "skinny" jeans, b/c #1, they don't exactly look comfortable, and #2, I am an hour glass with strong legs. No bird legs on this gal!

Cheers!

:*

I have the darnest time finding jeans. I am wider thru the hips, slim at the waist and NO BUTT!!! I recently went to Gap cause I heard they have jeans for all types - NOT!! Their jeans make my flat butt look even flatter if that is possible. So on with my quest I go. Stopped at Banana Republic and picked looked at a pair to try and discovered the price - $128 YIKES!! I put them down. After almost giving up, I went to Eddie Bauer and looked and looked. Just as I was ready to leave, I found the "Trouser Jean". It had flaps over the pockets and a boot cut. Perfect fit and even better price $68!!! They only had one color though. I checked on line and they have a lighter denim so I've ordered those as well.

That's my jeans story!!

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Well, I'm very opinionated on clothing, so, even though I hardly ever wear jeans, I'll bite:

Skinny pants don't look good on most women. If you have hips, it makes sense to balance out your hips by having some kind of flare on the pant leg. It makes your hips look smaller. And if you're shaped like a normal woman, you have hips, and should avoid skinny pants. On the other hand, boot cut is great on most women. If you have large thighs, straight leg is best (not tight straight leg).

For me, low cut is essential. I'm very short-waisted, and low-waisted pants make my waist look a bit longer. I also look better with some kind of pocket or something on the butt, to make my butt look less flat.

-Nancy

I have the darndest time too. Small waisted but pear shaped so the older "relaxed fit" used to work well...now it is hard to find any like those and I don't want to spend lots of $$$$...

Cruel Girl jeans low-rise relaxed fit in long! These are sold in western stores primarily, so not sure of their availability nationwide. They are actually long enough for me (!), which I love. Plus the low-rise relaxed fit makes these about the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn!! They have a straight leg. Love them! I have 3 pairs of them now. Wish I could find casual dress pants for work that fit like this! Oh, the price is a very reasonable $48.

Cutting and pasting my comments from another thread:
I have found I really like the Polo Sport Kelly style. It's a mid-rise, easy-fit bootcut that comes in short, regular, and tall lengths. Great fit and no gapping in the waist, which has plagued me ever since the low-rise craze invaded.

To add a few thoughts: I am more of an pear shape, so bootcut always has worked best for me. I scored these on sale at Strawbridge's earlier in the summer for $30-something. Regular price is $69. They have stretched a little bit over the past couple of months, so I'd probably buy them tighter next time and break 'em in. One of my guy friends told me recently that my "ass is looking sweet in those jeans." Works for me. :)

I absolutely hate the "skinny" jeans all the stores are pushing this fall. Unless you're a fashion model, they're just not the most flattering fit, IMO. I like low-rise,(not super low, tho I do have a pair of True Religions that are very low, and very tight, and look good... my DD talking me into getting them). I find I also need a slight flare. I'd be willing to try boot cut this year, but no way am I going to get a pair that tapers to the ankle.

As far as brands go, any pair that I try on that looks good. I've got TR, Lucky, Red Engine, a pair of western style Antik Denim that I got for a steal at Saks Outlet, Polo, and that's about it. Saw a pair of 7 for all mankind at Marshalls... but am in a money-saving mode right now so.....

I finally found a pair of jeans that I LOVE...Lucky brand. I spend $89.00, but they were SO worth it. I've wasted tons of money on jeans that are uncomfortable. I can even wear my Lucky's during TTOM! LOVE them. I wash and wear them every casual Friday and weekend. I may have to purchase one more pair with a gift card I rec'd. I tried them on on a whim and I'm so glad I did it. I can't say enough about how nicely these jeans fit. I may go down one size next time as they stretch out as you wear. I was very surprised that they are 100% cotton...no lyrca at all, yet so comfy!!! Good luck!
Angela:7

Tommy Hilfiger boyfriend cut are my absolute favorite!!

Sit just at Navel, Hips
No stretch
Straight leg
$40-60 depends if they are on sale.

I am a "thigh" girl, round butt, small waist. I guess that's Hourglass? I tend to stay away from "bootcut" because they always pull across the back of my thighs and are too big in the waist, hip.

I've had some luck with Calvin Klein too.

Sally
Chesterfield, MI:p

Newwoman13,

I buy Gap jeans, Lean and low or boot cut, no stretch pants. I take the flare out of the bottom and make them look like a cigarette style jean. I love the mid low rise, because I have a thick short waist and normal jeans pinch me there. I'm also not curvey around the hips, and a small butt, so I like a high pocket behind me. It looks and feels like a butt lift. These are a great pair of jeans for me, with just a little alteration. These jeans last all day with no or very little stretch, and I get them at the second hand store for $6-$9 dollars a pair. Can't beat the price at all. I should go down there and buy as many as I can, because the syles have changed and they won't exist too much longer.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

I found last year that the "stretchy" jeans from American Eagle fit me the best. They are just "stretchy" enough where they give with you, but don't stretch out too much as the day goes on. I haven't found any others that fit me the way these do.

I used to wear Express, but got sick of them shrinking in the length...regular's always ended up too short, and long's were always way too long. I also used to wear Limited jeans, but realized that they were too big in the leg (I'm the opposite of many...chicken legs and flat butt). American Eagle seems to fit my body style the best. I'm intrigued by the Lucky jeans though...I've heard alot about them, but I don't know where to find them.

Deni

I have tried several jeans and ended up loving Lucky jeans! I like the easy rider versions, not too low cut at the waist. They feel so incredibly soft and fit well. I've spent money on jeans that looked okay, was never truly happy with them, so I would buy different ones. So, even though Lucky is more than a lot of jeans, they were worth it to me as I am not buying others because they are just okay.

I found mine at Marshall Fields / Macy's - some malls have a Lucky Brand store as well.

Good luck!

Catherine,
One of my friends who has the same problem as you said that Victoria's Secret carries a jean that's supposed to give you a "butt lift." I don't think she's ordered them yet but just thought I would pass it on.

I'm pear-shaped, so a mid-rise bootcut works best. My biggest problem is finding a pair that fits both my hips and waist. Usually, what fits my hips is loose around my waist. For the most part, Lee jeans fit me best, but since vanity sizing came along, I've had to be downgraded to a size 1/2, which are hard to find.

These days, I just keep going to the fitting room to see which fits best. I have jeans by Seven for All Mankind, Candie's, Gap, Petite Sophisticates (when they were still open), and Levi's. My only pair of Levi's is something I found at the junior's department. It had been cleared over and over. I paid $9.99 for what used to be $55, and that's the only pair of Levi's that has ever fit me, so that's a fluke.

Pinky

I also wear Cruel Girl low-rise relaxed fit jeans. I love them. It is the only jean that seems to fit me. I'm short and an hourglass figure. They come in different lengths which is great for us short people or even the tall people as one poster above. You can buy these from a couple of websites such as www.cavenders.com or http://www.rods.com/default.aspx. I have ordered from Rods several times. They are very good with exchanges and returns, and they ship in a timely manner.

Ahem... I think I'm shaped like a "normal" woman, and I am slender with slim hips. :p ;)

I love the skinny jeans. I loved them when they were popular a few years ago. I don't do the very tight tapered to the ankle ones, but I love a long, slim line on my jeans which I wear with a mid heeled boot. I'm excited that they are back in style! :D

My favorite jeans are from White House Black Market and Cache. Their sizing fits me perfectly!

I have been jean shopping for months now and finally found a great fit at White House Black Market called Noir. Here's a description:

"Exclusive premium fit jean for women with a straighter figure. Sits lower on the waist without being too low. Modern silhouette in premium stretch denim. Designed to comfortably fit the body & flatter a womans figure. Slimmer thigh."

I have no butt! These make me look like I have an hourglass figure according to my husband. They were between $68 and $78 ea. pair. That is more than I like to spend but they are worth it.

Michelle

As a pear shaped chick with a big butt (no exaggeration!), I have had great luck with the Gap Curvy low rise bootcut jeans (~$58 when not on sale, $39 or less off season). They have a wide waistband, tapered at the waist, and loose but not baggy in the thigh area (For those of us with strong legs!). I buy boot-cut jeans to look proportioned, but flared also look ok. The pairs I have are not stretch and they DO get baggier with wear.

"Skinny" jeans and pear shaped bodies do not mix. But, I may just try some on for laughs! I used to wear them as a teen...Ah, the memory of tight tight jeans in the late 80s! Why bring that back?

:)

I'm 5'8", have hips, but not a pear, more an apple. Gap Long & Lean fit & flatter me the best, but I've also had good fits w/ Gap Bootcut and Straight Leg cuts. I have a long torso, so many of the trendy low-waist jeans are undecently short on me - so short you can see my c-section scar! So I'm happy w/ a higher waisted jean.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.