jaw ache ??

SheWolf

Cathlete
Two weeks ago the right joint area of my jaw ached for three days, then day four it seemed fine. Then starting on day 5 until now it aches every morning. I don't notice during the day but that could be because I am too busy.:p Also I will notice the ache if I wake up during the night.

Anyway my questions are, does anyone have any ideas about this and who should I go see my dentist or my doctor?

PS: this all started right after a course of antibiotics for a nasty head cold.

Hi Linda,
I'm a dental hygienist and we get this alot...the fact that it is in the morning that you are feeling this leads me to believe that you could be grinding or clenching during the night, have you been stressed lately? Is it sore suring the day too? You could try muscle relaxants or my boss always tells people to use hot towel compresses on the jaw muslcle and limit openig wide for things like apples or chwing gum etc. So it could be that, but if it persists I would check it out.

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

Thanks for responding! The first three days it was annoyingly sore all day. Now it's noticeably sore in the morning, but not so much during the rest of the day. However if I focus on it and move my jaw around I can still feel some soreness during the day. I have been told for years that I clench my teeth at night although I've never woke up with headaches and my DH has never heard me grind my teeth in 18 years.

jaw ache

Two weeks ago the right joint area of my jaw ached for three days, then day four it seemed fine. Then starting on day 5 until now it aches every morning. I don't notice during the day but that could be because I am too busy.:p Also I will notice the ache if I wake up during the night.

Anyway my questions are, does anyone have any ideas about this and who should I go see my dentist or my doctor?

PS: this all started right after a course of antibiotics for a nasty head cold.

Hi Linda, I agree with Aggie that you may be grinding or clenching your teeth at night. I have done this for years (mostly clenching) and I wear a night guard when I sleep. For me it is definitely brought on by stress, and I have even noticed it when lifting weights. I would see your dentist about having a night guard made. In my case my teeth were being damaged. As for the pain, I still occasionally feel jaw pain but it goes away shortly after awakening. Hope that helps! :)

Julie

I also agree, Linda. You probably are clenching your teeth, I do this when I'm stressed and wake up with a sore jaw and a headache. I use to wear a teeth guard but they are annoying to wear, but they do help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.