I've been in hospital. What now?

nsaeolian

Cathlete
I was in hospital for a week, and just got home the other day. I don't want to completely lose my muscle strength but definitely don't have the gumption for even a beginner Cathe workout. I lost about 7 pounds while I was in there too, by the way. What gentle things should I do to not lose all my muscle tone?

Good you're out, I've been on & off my feet for a while & all I can think is how much I'd like to do normal stuff, walk the dog, cook, plant bulbs, and clean my house! (swear I'll never complain about that anymore) my doc recommended activity as tolerated, but that hasn't worked out too well. Sorry, can't help. Take care.

Good Luck! (obviously, not Cathe, forgot where I was, oops)

Last edited:
nsaeolian,

Hospital stays are not fun:(.... Hope all is well, stay strong and may your inner strength be your guide to health & recovery.

I hope you feel better. I keep all my beginner workouts for times like these. I start out slow and work my way up. I always find it fun to revisit my easier workouts. If I'm not feeling it, I stop and try another day.

Goodness, a week in the hospital is going to take some of the wind out of you. I suggest starting slow. Walking is a great idea. Listen to your body-doing fun workouts you enjoy is a great place to start. Please don't push it too hard for a little bit. Take care of yourself!

Beth

Not Cathe , but when I have had to come back from an injury etc, I start with a DVD I like and just do the warm-up and stretch. For me, that has worked in transitioning back. It makes me feel good to have the familiar faces and music and get my blood pumping. (You know you have a lot of recovery ahead when just the warm-up wears you out !)
Make sure you check with your doctor !

Amen to all of the above. I would just add a reminder to not neglect your nutrition. Being in the hospital takes a big toll on the body and mind and eating adequate amounts of healthy nutrients is so necessary to build yourself back up. Your muscles may have suffered a little from lack of use, but they will come back! Maybe remind them with some light resistance bands; you can do curls, kickbacks, presses etc even while sitting. Even contracting, stretching and being mindful of your body as you go about daily chores helps. And always balance your activities with rest, being kind to yourself. Hope you feel better fast!
Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.