Its hi everyone from 38degrees Sydney Australia

claridge

Cathlete
Im up later than usual for myself as it is sooooo hot - I should be used to the weather here but it honestly still stops me in my tracks sometimes. The doors and windows are only open for a little breeze while Im up because unfortunatly in Sydney we have worse things than burgerlers (although we have those too) , we have giant cockrouches who love the heat. There big because there the garden variety but climb any tree or wall to get inside, quiet harmless but still........Im not having those crawl around when Im sleeping. We also have Huntsom Spiders and some have the leg span of a saucer (seriously) - not fond of those either and they are hard to remove from the house because they love the corners and move with the speed of light. Will theres my introduction to the forum everyone - hardly fitness talk I know - its amazing what the heat can make you blab about. Cheers:)

I have always wanted to visit Australia....although not much of a huge cockroach fan.....and I doubt I could suck those spiders down my vaccuum!!! Nice to meet you and welcome...:D A very fun and informative forum.

I live in Northen Cal myself....and the only big bug we have here is a banana slug....GROSS.....x( .....Carole

Hi there and welcome, :)

well one thing I can't stand is cockroaches, YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x(

Unfortunatley we have them here in Texas too, but I guess not as big as the ones in Australia. Oh well, I'll survive and they don't }( .

I like warm/hot weather though :) .

Have a wonderful day
Kristine:)

Good morning and welcome.

I just love the Australian accent. I could listen to someone from your country speak all day. Always wanted to visit the land down under, but you've mentioned "COCKROACHES" yuck....x( x( x( . I am deathly afraid of the waterbugs here in Bklyn, so I can just imagine what they look like in your country.

OK gotta go b/c I just grossed myself out.

Bye
Haydee

Welcome to the Forums Claridge!! I have a sister-in-law who is an entimologist (we just call her the bug lady). She keeps giant cockroaches in an aquarium in her spare bedroom, makes my toes curl x( . When my kids were little and she wanted them to touch one and make it hiss, she said with a sly grin, 'after Mommy does', I had to face my fear and touch it and in retrospect am glad I did. I will admit that it's one thing to have them contained and yet another to have them roaming free. I'd be like Wilma Flintstone standing on a chair shrieking!!!
Hope you get a break in the heat and some better sleep soon!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Greetings from often too stinking hot Tucson, Arizona where, going into winter, we are enjoying 29 degrees, although it's 15 right now in the AM. Australia has some of the most funky and unusual critters, I am learning, because I have 7 year-old son who's a nut about nature books. I wouldn't worry about the cockroaches so much as the many, many, many venomous snakes! This is the time of year when I remember why I moved from Michigan, the winter wonderland, to the desert Southwest! But the summers can be hellacious! Hang in there and stay cool and I mean that both ways! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Hi there! Everyone speaks of their warm climate, just thought I better put my 2 cent in from Northern Minneosta! :D :D They're speaking of snow this weekend. :( As far as bugs go, we have airplane sized mosquitos. :D I'd take these any day over roaches & spiders. Ewwwee.;)

**Melanie**
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

hello from Brisvegas

Hi Claridge,

I reckon you are starting to scare all of these Americans off the idea of Australia! For those of you that don't know me, I live in Australia too, in Brisbane (we affectionately call it Bris-Vegas) - which is sub tropical.
We have heaps of cockroaches (cockys as we call them here) - the NSW football team is called the Cockroaches as they must be way worse in Sydney! in Queensland the worst problems are cane toads and carpet pythons.
Australia is a great place to visit and Sydney rocks!
Cheers
LizN

RE: hello from Brisvegas

Hi there Aussie neighbour. I wasnt sure how many of us use this forum. Nice to meet you. Yeah, Id be a great Tourist guide wouldnt I? Pointing out the Yuck side to wonderful Australia but for our American friends, Australia is truely beautiful and we have some great icons. After all, who eles could lend you guys Steve Irwin and Paul Hogon! - Australian treasures those guys....no need to thank us:)

Hello and welcome, Claridge. I can certainly relate to the heat AND the giant cockroaches. We don't have Huntsom spiders here in Hawaii, but we do have Cane Spiders, which are furry and pretty scary looking. I had the unfortunate experience of finding one of these beasties in my shoe one day :)

Hi there

Some bugs and spiders are just too freaky! Harmless or not I definatly have a slight phobia over them I think.Havent met a person yet whoes okey with anything larger than a match box. Hawaii ah, lucky you - I would love to holiday in Hawaii. I would love to holiday anywhere actually for at least three months (my dream). How fantastic would it be to take a hiatus from work and just return when your ready. Has any one out there just had enough, packed up and left for a long period of time, then returned refreshed and refocused?:)

I can't tell you how much I miss it there! I lived in Newcastle for a year-got my Master's at the uni as a full degree candidate. What a life. Spiders and all! Fair dinkum!

My husband and I visited Sydney last year. I loved it. Very beautiful. I didn't meet any cockroaches, the hotel we stayed at probably put out the "UNWELCOME MAT" for them! We also flew up to Cairns for the weekend to scuba in the Great Barrier Reef - a memory I'll never forget. The only drawback for this New Englander is the 24+ hour flight. I think I saw the sun rise three times on my home! G'day!

Hi there, I lived in the Hunter for 4 years. I loved Newcastle, especially the beaches.
Cheers
Liz N

Hi!
Another Sydneysider here.. yes, the Cockies are out in force!
I went away with my kids for the school holidays (to Coffs harbour.. lovely place!) and I think the Cockroaches and Daddy longlegs spiders thought I wasn't coming back because theyv'e been waltzing around like they own the joint!
I spotted my first Huntsman spider for the season.. a baby one on one of my kids socks in the laundry. It was a baby.. so where is the mumma??? yikes!
One thing I noticed coming back to Sydney after two weeks in Coffs Harbour is the heat.. it was so humid in Sydney.
Kelly

Hi

Nice to meet another Aussie on line. Theres a couple of Brisies some where in cyber space but yourve proberly met them having joined the forum before me. Never been to Coffs harbour - funny how you never seem to visit your own backyard much, but spend a fortune travelling eles where. Saw my first Huntsman for the season in the corner of our porch the other night. "Huge" by my standards, so got my mere male to persuade it to move on. He had a laugh and said it was just a baby.......so like you Im thinking "if thats baby size, then I dont want to see its mumma or its puppa either. Time to shake out the shoes and socks before we put them on I think. Have a great day:)

Hi!
Great to meet you..
I love Queensland.. we went there a couple of Christmas's ago and had a great time.
Coffs was beautiful.. I could live there in a minute. Got to see a LOT of bananas! ha ha
Kelly = )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.