Is this a risky career move?

dss62467

Cathlete
You all know about the job in Iowa. Today I'm expecting them to call with the final offer. What I have been offered so far amounts to about $25,000 more than what I am making currently.

Now, I am considering telling my current employer that I have been offered this job, because I know they don't want to lose me. Is this too risky of a gamble? I'd like them to offer me a salary increase to stay - but there's no way they could match the offer. I'd be happy with just an extra $5,000. I want them to realize that I'm valuable to other companies (I've been approached 4 times this year already), but I don't want them to tell me to take the other offer. And I don't want to plant any seeds of distrust of me.

We did just have a woman in our department give her notice because she was offered a better paying job elsewhere. They didn't want to lose her, so they gave her a new title and a $6,000 increase. But in my case, there is another manager in the department who makes the exact same salary I do. I don't want to cause any disparity in our salaries - but I am a technical person, which is in shorter supply in HR than she is - a recruiter. But I think her job is harder than mine. :D

Should I just decline the other offer and keep it to myself that it ever happened?

Good question, Donna.

I don't think it makes sense to approach it as if you're ready to take the other job, because you're not. Why not approach them for a raise, explaining that you've been approached 4 times this year, that you're delighted to find out how valuable you are, but that you love it where you are and don't want to leave? In other words, honesty may be the best policy. It's a compliment to your company, but still lets them know just how valuable you are in the open market.

Coming back to say, my response was off the top of my head, and I need to give it more thought. I'll confer with my DH who has wonderful instincts about these matters.

Maybe you'll get some responses from the HR folks in our group.

Hey Donna.....Wow.....$25,000 more a year is a lot....but what is the cost of living difference between cities? My husband had a head hunter call him one time, and try to get us to move to Chattanooga, TN for $30,000 a year, but he did not want to go because his parents are old, and not in good health. He told his boss, and was able to get a small raise (about $4,000 a year) for him to stay. If they are really happy with your work, they may be willing to pay more to keep you. Maybe you are being underpaid to begin with? I think it is worth a shot...I dont think they would fire you for asking for more money. Good luck to you!

Hope this helps some....

joanna

The cost of living here is quite a bit higher.

I know they wouldn't fire me, but I don't want them looking at me wondering what I'm up to...

Hi There -

Are you seriously considering the new job offer? It doesn't sound like you really want to take the new job if you have a chance to stay at your new company with just a little more money.

If you tell your current employer about the new offer, you should be prepared to walk away from your current job. They may not be able to give you what you are looking for at this time, even if they would like to.

If you can't quite picture taking that leap of faith for the new position, then you probably haven't found the perfect situation yet. You've said that these companies have approached you. Sounds like you might be a hot commodity - have you considered doing a real job search of your own to see what's out there?

My advice would be not to do anything until you have a piece of paper in your hand with the offer from the new company. Don't do anything with a verbal offer, and don't let anyone pressure you into making a decision on the fly.

One last thing - don't worry so much what other people are making or whether or not their job is harder. It's what the company is willing to pay for the skill set - any it just might be that your company values your skill set at a higher level...

Emilyb

I agree with Nancy. Don't mention the other job but ask for a raise and see what happens. Companies don't like the salary ultimatum, it doesn't make you look good at all and it puts them between a rock and a hard place. If they say no then you could mention the job as long as you have the offer in hand.

Good luck! I hope they give you the raise so you can stay :)

Actually, I've pretty much decided I'm staying where I am - but I was trying to decide if I wanted to ask for more money. They did give me a pretty nice raise about a year ago.

Never mention another job opportunity to your current employer unless you have the new offer in writing.

I wouldn't say anything at all yet. Wait for the offer to come in & then ask for the raise.

Donna-I would say it's all in the presentation and my guess is you could present them with a request for a raise that would be better then telling them about your other offer. My brother once went to his employer about a offer that paid more. Two weeks later he was "laid off'. Colorado is an "At will Emplotment State" so there was nothing he could do. Too bad the other job was already taken:(

Terri

Yeah, NY is an "at will" state too. I've decided against playing this card. I figure that they'll know that a $5000 increase isn't really anything and that I'd be likely to leave is something else better came along. And I will...seeing how I've got 2 other things brewing right now for a lot more money.

Gosh, Donna! All I can say is that the job offer in Iowa is a Huge bundle!!!! I mean, consider cost of living. Are you sure you don't want to take it?

Marla

No, no, Marla. The Iowa job is OUT. Donna already made her decision, and it was the right one. You must have missed the discussion. There is no reason for Donna to second guess herself at this point, especially since she knows she did the right thing. :D

I know, I know Marla. But money doesn't buy happiness. I definitely didn't like the office layout there. I wouldn't even have walls! I can't concentrate like that. Besides, there are other jobs available for nice money locally and warmer states. I'm just going to be patient. That whole thing was just not sitting right with me and I felt too rushed.

No, No, don't get me wrong! Money surely doesn't mean happiness, but it sure helps to know just HOW MUCH you are apppreciated!

Also Donna, you have already been told about your gut instinct. Yes, go with it, but unlike most of us, I feel you have the power to make positive changes, so, by all means, don't let anything hold you back. So even if it is as minute as changing your office setting, don't tell me, You, of all people can't change it!

I guess, all I'm trying to say, is it seems like you take on a lot of the life challenges head on that I never take. So I feel like you can survive a whole lot more. I just want you to know I'm in your corner, as chicken as I am.

Marla

IF it was only me and I didn't have a family, I'd go for the job. But the main thing that has made me decide not to was that we'd all have to live in an apartment while my house was being sold and then for as long as it took to find a new house and get all that buying stuff out of the way.

The company was going to pay our rent, but I just have no idea how long it will take to sell our current house. Even though the yard is great (which is a huge reason why I didn't want to leave), the house itself is nothing spectacular. It was purchased when we both made very little money and was a definite fixer-upper. We've done a lot to it, but there's still a lot that has to be done. I could just picture us being stuck in an apartment for 6 months or more. With a child, a large dog, 3 cats and 2 guinea pigs...that wouldn't be fun.

So there's something said for plunging in with risks, as long as you're not risking anything for anyone else.

Agree with Nancy.. NO NO Marla... She just went through this and definetly was not an easy decision but feels right. It sounds like you have a beautiful home and that is SO Much more important than more money. $ feels good when you get the job - but it certainly doesn't make the job better day in and day out.

What did you decide to do about asking for more $. When is your review coming up? Agree usually playing one job off another isn't a great thing. I've never done it but some folks have and gotten more $. Hope they can realize how great you are. Sounds like you are actively looking so you may want to ask for more $ before you get a new job so at least they have a chance.

Let us know what you are thinking

- Robyn

Hi, ladies! Don't get me wrong. Would I personally try any of these escapades? No, I am a big time chicken!, but my gut instinct is that there are those out there ready for a challenge. Donna I would include!

Marla

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.