Is there a good hair darkening shampoo?

BAM

Cathlete
I color my hair and it's been a very light brown. I just had it colored again and went darker, however, it's not dark enough and I don't want to pay to have it done again. Is there a good shampoo that will darken colored hair? Do you have to use it every time you shampoo or can you skip a shampoo or two and use something else? If you stop using it after awhile, will your hair go back to the color it was before using the shampoo? Thanks for any info!

Bam

I use this stuff by Jason'a that brings out the red in my hair. They have it for all hair colors. It might work for your purposes. You use it every time you wash your hair and it washes out eventually if you stop using it. It will not damage your hair either.

I'm a "redhead" who regularly uses the shampoo, conditioner, and Luminous Color Glaze from the John Frieda Collection (available everywhere, like at Target). He makes three series' (one for blondes, one for redheads, and one for brunettes). If you're trying to alter your color, neither the shampoo nor the conditioner will work but if the brunette color glaze is as intensely pigmented as the red glaze you might find it helpful. I don't know how drastically it will alter your color but I've found regular useage of the red has done wonders for helping to keep my color rich.

I use Aveda's Black Malva for mine, especially during the summer when my hair gets streaky from the sun. I have to use it for a few days before I can really see the difference, but it seems to last for a while. Also, it's a great conditioner. The only drawback is it will color your fingernails.

:)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!:) As I was doing my hair this morning, I was really noticing that my hair color is fading. The darker color seems to be washing out. I think I'm going to call the hairdresser and have her re-do it. This should not be happening with the big bucks we pay to look good!:7

Bam

Why don't you just have the salon darken it at not additional cost. They should if it didn't come as dark as you like.

Otherwise, I'd get one of those wash out in 30 day colors with no ammonia or peroxide...not semi-permanent or permanent. I used one before that came out a nice chocolate brown.

Haircolorist here!

Make sure that you are using a shampoo for color-treated hair. The existing color should last longer if you use this. Colored shampoos(which are different) don't really do much, usually. A better option would be a color conditioner. I think they deposit more color! If you had it done at a salon, see if you can go back and have the color refreshed. I wouldn't completely redo a permanent color; as it is damaging. If you decide to do it yourself, be careful! AS one other poster suggested, don't do a permanent color! And don't go too dark. Store bought colors are notorious for being too dark! In my experience, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to achieve the perfect shade that lasts, but you have to be careful not to damage your hair. Hope this helps!!!! Take care, Nancy J.~~

Thanks again for the suggestions! I didn't know they made a color conditioner. My hair doesn't need a lot of conditioning since it is so thin and conditioners make it flat but I'd look into a color conditioner if it worked. Any particular brand I should look for?

Bam

ETA: What's the difference between having them re-do the color and having it re-freshed? Thanks.

hi there, i'm also a colorist. redoing the color can be more damaging to your hair. if you ask to have the color refreshed they'll simply use a glaze to help you get the look you're going for. what was the original color - permanent?

Cody, yes, the original color is permanent. It's Koleston (sp?) by Wella. The color that was on it before I darkened it was 72 Matte Brown. Also, I have VERY stubborn grey's that are quite difficult to color. How would doing color on top of color so soon after damage it? My hair is oily and color never dries my hair out. Thank you for the info.

Bam

Hi! Like the other colorist said, refreshing the color means glazing. Permanent color uses a certain amount of peroxide, to lift and deposit. You have already lifted the color, using peroxide. Doing it again will cause further damage. A glazing will just deposit color only. Eventually, you will need permanent color again to color the regrowth, or new greys that come in. As far as color conditioners are concerned, I use professional brands, such as Goldwell. If you are looking to purchase something from a store, I would look for well known color companies, such as L'oreal, Clairol, etc. Hope this helps! Take care, Nancy J.~~

Thanks Nancy! My hairdresser is out for a couple of days but I will make sure she just refreshes the color. Do you know of any color or anything that can be added to color to help cover up stubborn greys? I've tried many different professional colors and I still get poor coverage. I've been told that I have no pigment left in those strands.

One other question. When she does the re-color, what should I do about a tip? She's not the owner and I gave her a very generous tip for the holidays when I was there last week. Thanks again!

Bam

I'm bumping this because my hairdresser is going to refresh the color today and I'm wondering about how to handle the tip. Please see my post above this one. Thanks.

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.