Is Step Boss considered Intermediate or Advanced?

Yeah...I agree. And I think because IMAX 4 is low impact vs. the other IMAX workouts the intensity isn't as high maybe?

Have you done IMAX 2? I was tired and unenthusiastic this morning, but put it on and holy cow the music and actual workout was rockin' giving me tons of energy from the get-go. Hadn't done it in a long time and forgot how very fun and challenging it was, I was drenched in sweat.

Thanks for the replies of if this series is to be Advanced or Intermediate.

For StepSync, since it is dancier, I can't seem to take many of the moves airborne without throwing off the timing. I will try the little hand weights, but am thinking that will also throw off the timing. I am going to try to come up with something that helps my heart rate raise a bit. I already flail my arms all over the place and that seems to help.

How about blending portions of StepSync and IMAX4? Or do half of Step Sync, followed by half of IMAX4?

I heard to make cardio workouts more intense is to wear a weighted vest while you are doing the workout. You could wear the weighted vest while doing the step workout to get more intensity.

And for extra bonus, you could wear weighted ankle weights while doing it to and wrist weights.

I heard weighted vest are good for push ups as well.

Just a Thought,

Jen Den

I was watching Jenny Ford on YouTube and if you go to her advance step it is intense. I watched it though.

Cathe's 4 Day Higher Intensity Step is intense. If you have it Ondemand I suggest you check it out. I know it is like 30 minutes, but there are some tough combos on there. Not to be confused with 4 day lower intensity step.

Cathe does have the step workout plainly called Intensity, and to my level it is intense.

Jen Den

My thoughts are that Step Sync and Imax are immediate intensity with "advanced" step choreography. I consider PHA 3 an advanced workout all the way around.

I would agree with that - I consider myself a strong intermediate moving into advanced. PHA 3 pushed me pretty hard. I used very slightly heavier weights because mine are in kilogrammes not pounds. I've now done IMax with and without a step and I was working out but not at the level of PHA3! I'd worked on it without a step at first simply because the choreography was more than I'd ever attempted before with a step.
Still not dared try Step Sync.

I haven't used a higher step than Cathe does and probably wouldn't because I am very clumsy around a bench and I would miss my footing and fall off and twist something....I tend only to use three risers or higher for PHA or strength stuff. (I do raise the step to 3 in the Ice Bootcamp cardio one though...but I have to take extra care not to mis-step)

I heard to make cardio workouts more intense is to wear a weighted vest while you are doing the workout. You could wear the weighted vest while doing the step workout to get more intensity.

And for extra bonus, you could wear weighted ankle weights while doing it to and wrist weights.

I heard weighted vest are good for push ups as well.

Just a Thought,

Jen Den
I so admire anyone who can use wrist and ankle weights! Wrist weights make my wrists sweaty and I end up ripping them off and swapping out for dumbbells...ankle weights always give me a knee injury ...I can't even imagine wearing a weighted vest, I think it would just drive me crazy and make me feel restricted. I'm dumbbells and barbell only

(I hate weighted gloves too, have tried them in the boxing style workouts and they never feel secure/make my hands hot and uncomfortable/don't seem to add much to my workout).

I believe IMAX 4 to be Advance if you do it on 2 risers. If you don't (like me), it is intermediate while two of the blasts are advance. The 4th blast and 10th blast is advance. But, if you noticed IMAX 4 is on like a HIIT concept. There is work for a minute and a little rest (you are marching, active recovery) and then the blast then a rest (active recovery).

I like IMAX 4 because there are different Step routines.

The advanced IMAX is IMAX 3, IMAX 2, IMAX, IMAX 4.

Hopes this helps,
Jen Den

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.