Is it AGE??

sittinduck

Cathlete
Last year I was 34 going on 35 working out to the firm and gradually getting to Cathe...I am 5'4" and went from 131 to 123 did alot of weight (light) and one day of cardio if I could get myself to do it..I was in a size 9 from 131 to 123 maintained my 9 but looked better in my 9 :) Well, I had some stressful situations happen and began to eat and quit working out...also I started having hot flashes and ached to walk the local wal-mart....my whole body just ached! I figured it was a hormonal change and working out just laid me out for a week I gave up! 10 months later I was 134 and in a size 12 going to 13..crying mind you when I figured this out! I am a pear and it goes all to my thighs and rear. Baby phat jeans weren't even my friends! In May I went home for a week and was disgusted with myself so I came back and have been kicking out Cathe for going on 7 weeks straight...mind you I have increased weight in workouts and am kicking out 3 cardio a week...I am firm-I don't jiggle anymore but I weigh 128 so I lost 4 lbs (eating cleaner) and I have more strength than ever in my life...
Question: Why am I still in my large jeans? Why is it that some people say they weigh 130-135 and in a size 2 yet I am under my bmi firm and still working to get into a 10? It confuses me when I look in the mirror and say Wow!! look at that then I get to my closet and am frustrated!! HELP!! duck

Could it be the type of jeans you wear. I am 5'3 and weight 175. I wear a size 12 at this weight. If I was 132 I would wear a 7/8. I am also a pear. The only pants I even try on are relaxed fit. If I tried on a straight leg or pants with no hips I bet I would be looking at 16 size. I would never be in a size 2 at 130. Maybe these people are apples or have very little body fat with more muscle.

The brand of jeans is also different. There are many time I try a size 12 in a different brand and I can't get them up past my thighs. Then I freak out!!

If you know you are losing and are feeling pretty good try not to care about the jean size - those sizes change I think. I will always wear larger sizes than my freind because of how my body is but I don't look larger or fatter.

Also is your scale right if you weigh the same as you did wearing your old jeans and now they do not fit?

Good luck - my goal is to be 128 - Your doing pretty darn good in my eyes!!

Winter

Thanks winter for responding! It took me awhile to post (fear of rejection) isn't that funny? Yes I should be in my old pants for sure...cant get past the booty...somehow it has gotten bigger and working out my booty went from flat and wide to a bubble...teehee!! My scale is right as my daughter is monitored at the doc's office monthly and corresponds with her weighing in at home! I thought the scale was wrong too...Then I visit the "value village" which is a 2nd hand store for my clothes ( you know when you get bigger inside you tell yourself this is temporary so cheaper is better) that is where you find a variety of size and pants...and followed farther down the aisle...It really boggles my mind! You know I will look for relaxed fit and see if there is a difference...that may be the problem with my pear shape and most jeans. Thanks again duck

Ok- I am also 34 and I am 5'4. I weigh about 118. I used to weigh 128 and that weight felt good for me, except my bottom half. My top half looked like it weighed 100 lbs and my bottom half, 150 lbs. I have been an avid fitness freak for 15 years, BUT until I switched things up this past 3 years since finding Cathe, things have really changed. First, IMHO with bigger bottoms you need a super clean diet, I thought mine was until I read Tosca Reno's book, Eating Clean (something like that!). Then I changing my working out. I went from 6 days of cardio 70 min and 20 min of strength thrown in on some days, I went to 3 days total body strength training (heavy weight) and 3 days of moderate cardio. I eat 3 meals plus 2 snacks. At first this was so hard, and my bottom half seemed to enlarge for about 2 weeks before going back down. This may be too much info, but for me and my big butt, this is what finally did it. As for jeans, I wear Banana Repulic with success, theirs have some stretch to them. Good luck and hang in there. There are several of us pear girls on this site.

"also I started having hot flashes and ached to walk the local wal-mart....my whole body just ached!"

duck, have you been to a doctor? I have hypothyroidism and the body aches are a big symptom for me. I can always tell that my meds need to be adjusted when I get those deep body aches. Also, why are you having hot flashes at the age of 35? It sounds to me like you need a thorough check-up with your doc.

I agree. I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after years of dealing with fatigue, body aches ect.. it wasn't until this past year when I gained 16 pounds even following healthy eating and continuining my exercise freak habits! I am now on meds and my Dr. and I are trying to get it back to normal. It's very hard to lose weight when you are Hypo and clean eating is a must....

http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz/blhypoquiz.htm

this site is a quiz that will help you!

take care- Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.