Is frozen fruit washed well enough for smoothies?

joejack

Cathlete
I make smoothies in my Vitamix every day for the familiy using bananas, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, and frozen mixed fruit (peaches mostly).

It just dawned on me that I don't wash that frozen fruit...I'm wondering if it's actually clean enough to be healthy? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I don't think any food production company on the planet would think for one minute that they could process, freeze and sell any fruit or vegetable that they had not washed beforehand.

Some frozen fruit cannot be washed after defrosting anyway!

I never worry about it. There's plenty of other shit happening in life that does need my worry directed towards it, can't waste it thinking about frozen fruit!

Clare

I think the danger with frozen fruit would be if it thawed, somehow got contaminated with something (or was contaminated before freezing and the contaminating bacteria was kept dormant but not killed by freezing), kept warm long enough for the bacteria to multiply, then refrozen with a higher level of bacteria.

I would think that anything that possibly could need to be washed off would be destroyed in the freezing process.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.