Is Couscous "clean"

elsie3

Cathlete
Does anyone know if couscous is considered "clean" or whole grain? The ingredient is 'durum wheat', but it's not listed as 100% whole grain durum wheat (like the pasta I buy). So I'm thinking it's just as 'white' as regular pasta.

TIA

Elsie

Durum flour is more processed that whole wheat, so I agree that your thinking is correct.

Tobermory

I'm afraid so.:( Thanks for your reply, Tobermory.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as whole grain couscous? I tried it, and I really like it.

Elsie

Elsie: In the past, I have purchased whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's. It's been a long time so I am not sure if it was 100% whole wheat and I don't have any left in the pantry to look for you. But it might be an option for you to check out.

Yup, I buy whole wheat couscous, I figure it's better that regular couscous.

ETA: I usuaully get it from my "natural" grocer in their bulk section. I also get the Fantastic Whole Food brand in the box sometimes.

Quinoa?

Elsie, have you tried substituting quinoa for couscous? Quinoa is considered clean -- it's a wheat-free, gluten-free ancient grain (actually a seed) that I see in various clean-eating cookbooks.

For ease of preparation I suggest that you get a pre-rinsed brand (I use Ancient Harvest).

I hope this helps!

Oh, for a Trader Joe's.

Elsie, have you tried substituting quinoa for couscous? Quinoa is considered clean -- it's a wheat-free, gluten-free ancient grain (actually a seed) that I see in various clean-eating cookbooks.

For ease of preparation I suggest that you get a pre-rinsed brand (I use Ancient Harvest).

I hope this helps!

Kathryn, where do you get your Quinoa. I've tried finding it, but no stores around here have it. I was actually looking for quinoa when I bought the couscous. I can't find whole wheat couscous, either.:(

I moved last summer and am having a really hard time finding "natural" foods.

Thanks for the replies,

Elsie

Elsie--I don't know where you are located but I find all my goodies at the local Hannaford (native to the northeast) in the "organic" section. You can also find various online retailers and I hope someone on the forums can recommend one for you.

In addition to quinoa ("NOW" brands is available in many health food stores that actually sell food and not just vitamins), you could try millet (both quinoa and millet are much better than wheat, as they are alkalinizing rather than acidifying.

In addition to quinoa ("NOW" brands is available in many health food stores that actually sell food and not just vitamins), you could try millet (both quinoa and millet are much better than wheat, as they are alkalinizing rather than acidifying.

Thanks Kathryn. I actually love millet. I cook it for a breakfast cereal and add it uncooked to my bread recipe. It would make a good replacement. I was just trying couscous because I never had before--trying to be adventurous;).

There has to be somewhere in my area where I can get my grains. I'll just keep looking.

Elsie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.