Is anyone an animator or game programmer ?

sancho

Cathlete
Hi,

I'm looking for someone that is a computer animator or computer game programmer to ask some questions.

My 10 year old girls are VERY into the computer and I found a camp nearby that is taught by someone who was an animator on one of the Shreck movies. She is teaching the kids a software called Autodesk Maya. I didn't sign my kids up because of the price ($25 an hour) and because the class ages are mixed (my 10 year olds could be in class with 16 year olds) but I might sign them up for an evening class where I could stay and oversee them. She said we could buy a student version of the software for around $150 (not from her). My goal is that they would learn this software and create their own short animated movies or video games. Thus, legitimizing their computer obsession (and making mommy feel less guilty about the computer time she allows).

But I wanted to talk to someone in the field and see if this is a useful and relevant program (although I know by the time they get jobs it will be outdated).

Can't help you with that specific program, but I can tell you that my 11 year old has enjoyed Scratch that is free from MIT, and he has also really loved working with Multimedia Fusion 2, and it's about $80 for a student version. FWIW..... (and they probably aren't nearly as fancy as what some Shrek designer uses, so your mileage may vary.....).

Hi,

I'm looking for someone that is a computer animator or computer game programmer to ask some questions.

My 10 year old girls are VERY into the computer and I found a camp nearby that is taught by someone who was an animator on one of the Shreck movies. She is teaching the kids a software called Autodesk Maya. I didn't sign my kids up because of the price ($25 an hour) and because the class ages are mixed (my 10 year olds could be in class with 16 year olds) but I might sign them up for an evening class where I could stay and oversee them. She said we could buy a student version of the software for around $150 (not from her). My goal is that they would learn this software and create their own short animated movies or video games. Thus, legitimizing their computer obsession (and making mommy feel less guilty about the computer time she allows).

But I wanted to talk to someone in the field and see if this is a useful and relevant program (although I know by the time they get jobs it will be outdated).

My daughter said that's a good program for 3D programming that is pretty expensive. She says there's a good free one online called "Blender". She is 15 years old and has self taught herself animation(using Flash). She said she is not very experienced with 3D modeling, but has done some programming, but not much with Blender. Next year she is going to an art magnet school, which she was just accepted at, so will probably learn more there. I think $150 doesn't really seem like too much for the software. I actually think it would be worth it(if it were for my daughter), as she's motivated and creative. So, if your kids are motivated and creative it would be a nice tool. Maybe you could first try the free "Blender" to see if it does interest them. Hope that helps a little...

Not the poster of the term, but as far as I know, a magnet school is a school for kids that excel in a particular area. Although they will get a complete education, it will be centered around the skill the school specializes in and the child excels in. An Art magnet school is for kids that excel in Art. Around me there is a science/math magnet school. Similar to a performing arts school.

Thanks for the suggestions of other programs. I will check those out and see how motivated the kids are.

I forgot about Blender -- my kids have used that, too, though ironically the 8 year old figured it out more easily than the (then) 10 year old. It's definitely worth having her play with, too.

my 2 cents

My husband used to work for Sierra online and he says Maya has been around for years and it is a professional 3D modelling program (just as you said). He's not an artist but the art designer on his team used it.

Anyway, given that that was over 10 years ago, that means learning that software is probably useful and will probably continue to be relevant for a while. The only thing I would wonder is whether it would be too complicated for them to learn but if the instructor thinks she can do it than great!

re: Scratch. My kids use Scratch too but it is not 3D modelling. It teaches rudimentary programming skills and allows them to play around with making games. It's fun so it's worth looking into but it isn't a solution for learning to make serious, professional video games.

I don't check the forums regularly so I might not see any followup messages but feel free to PM me if you want (I think the forum will email me directly in that case)

-- Mindy

Not the poster of the term, but as far as I know, a magnet school is a school for kids that excel in a particular area. Although they will get a complete education, it will be centered around the skill the school specializes in and the child excels in. An Art magnet school is for kids that excel in Art. Around me there is a science/math magnet school. Similar to a performing arts school.

Thanks for the suggestions of other programs. I will check those out and see how motivated the kids are.

Yes, you are correct about the magnet definition. DD is currently in an accelerated program where you need to qualify by scoring in the 99th percentile in reading and math(6th, 7th, 8th). She feels like the "dumb" one of these 99 percentile kids and doesn't like that feeling -- they are all very competitive. She has decided to go toward Art specialization instead. The Art Magnet school has also performing arts and other art disciplines,where she has chosen graphics & animation. Most have got in through a lottery, since it's a very popular program. Those that didn't get in through the random drawing lottery needed to interview and develop/show a portfolio of their work. She was so lucky they liked her work/skills, as they only let in 15 entering freshman out of 250+ applicants! Very tough to get in if you apply through the "Second Consideration" program.

I hope your kids like creating their animation. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.