iron deficiency anemia and working out

P

phyllyrn

I just found out I am severely anemic. My hemaglobin is 8.6 and the normal values for women are 11-14. I was wondering why I was getting to tired to finish my exercise tapes in the morning if I could get up at 5 am to do it. My doctor just started me on iron supplementation and suggested I do not exercise for a while. I am very upset because I do not want to have to start all over again when I start back. I have been exercising consistently 4-5 times a week since October. I do not know how long he wants me to not exercise. I have to go for some more tests. Has this happened to anyone else. Sorry this is so long.

Phyllis

My counts are low too, not as bad as you though. I am working extra hard this year to take in more iron (food and supplements)and I really have noticed the difference in my energy and hair. But I would never stop exercising, not an option. From everything I have read, exercise will not deplete your iron supply. Of course it is up to you to analyze what your doctor is telling you.

One thing you might try is to eat a bowl of iron fortified cereal before you go to bed, it will help with energy in the a.m.

Did the doctor tell you why he thinks your hemoglobin count is so low? Did you go over the foods that you should not eat with iron because they negate the benefit?
Don't be discouraged, eat as much iron rich food as possible, and maybe get a second opinion.

Speaking of iron rich foods--do you like Cream of Wheat? A 1-cup serving has approximately 55% of the RDA for iron! Also, do you not eat a lot of meat? Meats contain the better absorbed version of iron--heme iron. If you are not a big meat eater, you can get your iron from cream of wheat, spinach, etc but this is what is called non-heme and is better absorbed with Vitamin C. So, if you have cream of wheat for breakfast, have it with an orange or a glass of OJ or other high vitamin C juice/fruit to enhance the absorption. Good luck "pumping iron!"

Prune juice, raisins, cooking in a cast iron pan, beans, greens and beets all have enough iron to make them worth adding to your diet. Every little bit helps. Yes, take something acidic like orange juice or vitamin C to help absorb your iron.

I thank all of you for responding so quickly. I have Crohn's disease and have had 2 small bowel resections and now my Crohn's is flaring up again. My doctor started me on different medications for my Crohn's and also on high potency iron supplements with vitamin C in them. The problem is that I am a little restricted in what I can eat because a lot of vegetables hurt my stomach and give me diarrhea. Especially when I am flaring up I am supposed to eat a low residue or low fiber diet. Also I try to eat meat but I prefer carbs. I am trying to include red meat and chicken at least a couple times a week. It is very hard for me because when my disease is flaring up I can only eat very small meals because it hurts to eat a lot at one time. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I do not feel hungry. You would think I would be a skinny person but I could stand to lose about 20 pounds. That is why I was exercising so diligently. Eating is a whole different ball game with me because I can really diet. Thanks again for the great suggestions. Maybe I will try to do some less strenuous workouts for now.

Phyllis

Here's a little additional information that might be helpful.

"There are certain foods that will inhibit iron absorption. For this to occur, you would have to eat them in
large amounts. For your information, here's the basic list:

Oxalic acid found in spinach
Phosphates found primarily in milk and dairy products and
egg whites
Phytates in beans
Tannins in tea and coffee".
By minimizing the comsumption of the above mentioned foods, you'll increase your iron stores more quickly.

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.