Instructor question for you Cathe

roeyk

First of all, I just received 4 day split this week and really love the diversity! I teach a morning Boot Camp class and the drills are just what is needed to start spicing things up. High Intensity Step really got my creative juices flowing. Love the crazy crosswalk! And just a few weeks ago when I was teaching a step class, I used one of your moves - "Step knee, walk back and around" - and a woman yelled out CATHE! We chatted about you during the entire cooldown in between cues.

On to my question. I've been teaching group exercise for almost 12 years and in all that time, I have never experienced what I am about to write in any venue I have taught in, either commercial or corporate. In short, there is one particular participant who always stands in front of me (and slightly to the left) during classes. Why she doesn't stand behind me like the rest of the class I have no idea, but I find her presence to be intrusive, distracting, and somewhat rude since she is directly in my way most of the time and I have to move around her. And if she messes up the choroegraphy so do I! I just started teaching at this health club in March and don't feel comfortable even politely asking her to change her position to behind me versus in front. She has a condescending tone to her voice when she speaks and has often told me how to teach my class (pitch the music up or down, decrease the repetitions in choreography, etc.). When she does not attend class I actually breathe a huge sigh of relief! The fitness director knows she can be a problem but has not confronted her despite my commentary - and this woman wouldn't dare to act in the same manner in the fitness director's class (according to other participants who know her). As a professional with many years experience with both teaching and management, do you think I'm a bit overboard or would this bother you as well? It doesn't matter if the class is full or not, she has marked her workout territory like my dog marks the neighborhood trees!

I had an awful class this morning. She truly rattles my nerves.:-(

Happy holidays to you and your family!

I am also an instructor who has experienced this so I understand your concern. What an invasion of personal space. I told the member I had some trouble with that I needed adequate space to properly execute/show the movement to students. That might be an indirect way of saying "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!" :)

If she takes it personally and doesn't come back, at least you won't have any more rattled nerves!!!

Good luck!

Jill

I feel your pain, Roeyk! I have one participant who used to stand in front of everyone else, directly in front of me, and *correct other people's form!!* I couldn't believe it...

I had a number of conversations with him about it and about at conversation #6 or #7 he picked up on what I was saying. I reminded him it was *my* job to teach the class and it was *his* job to get a great workout in.

It took several reminders both big and small, polite and near-rude, and every one of them made me a little uncomfortable. On the plus side, though, each time I spoke to him I listened to what I was saying and I ended up learning something! ;)

This is so bizarre. I had no idea fitness instructors had to deal with such lunacy.

First, try to find out if she's been diagnosed with any kind of clinical mental issues (tough, but with people who behave in such a manner you can't be too careful). Next, I'd discuss with my supervisor my plan of action to see if he's going to support me as I go about rectifying the situation. And you HAVE to take action now because if you don't this silly b*tch will make it her mission to drive you nuts as she takes control of YOUR class. And unless she's genuinely mentally unbalanced this is ALL about control. Guess who's got it? Clue: NOT you. Once you have your supervisor's support your first step should be a polite but pointed one-on-one discussion with the offender about how her antics are disrupting the class and making it impossible for you to do the job for which you (not she) is being paid. If she tries it again direct her to the area where she should be. You needn't be concerned with how things appear to the other participants because, believe me, they are waiting for you to take action. You're not the only one annoyed. If she refuses (In front of everyone? She wouldn't dare), I hope your facility has security. You have a job to do and you've been doing it for far too long to take this crap. Your supervisor needs to know you can always do your job elsewhere if HE has a problem or won't back you up.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Honestly, the chutzpuh of some people.

Hi Roeyk,
I teach aerobics at a Hospital Wellness Center, and I too have had to deal with very rude behavior from members. They got mad because a certain instructor resigned and blamed the staff. They rebelled by "doing their own thing" while the other instructors taught the class. The head staff threatened to cancel the class permanently because all of the instructors refused to be treated that way again. They straightened up. Another time, I had the same problem that you did. This is what I did. Our aerobics room has four walls and two are covered with a mirror. I would grapevine right, grapevine left, grapvine right again and do two jumping jacks. Turn and face the other mirror during the jacks. If the person started on your left, they should now be behind you. Just watch how they react. If they reposition and try to get in front of you, you know that they have a problem. Maybe they admire you and want to be just like you. I know it is anoying. I had a famous instructor tell me once, "remember, it is their workout". I did not get it at first. I do now. I hope this helps. Adrienne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.