Instructional Video is a Must! Cathe, please must read this!

RE: Instructional Video is a Must! Cathe, please must ...

Maybe this would be good for a downloadable video. I know SNM is planning some downloadable media in the future and maybe a tutorial would be a nice option for some but it wouldn't trouble anyone who doesn't want it.

Another idea might be do note those tricky segments and do a few the night before in slow motion. Most video players have a slo-mo button and I find it very helpful if I somehow tend to end up on the wrong foot or something.

I just practice it once and twice in slo-mo and figure out my error.
It is also kind of funny watching Cathe's face in slo-mo. :p
All the best!
Amy

I SEE WHERE IT CAN BE REALLY HARD. HOWEVER, I'VE BEEN DOING CATHE'S WORKOUT VIDEOS SINCE THE EARLY 1990'S (STEP, WEIGHT TRAINING, ETC.) SO WHEN I RECEIVED THE NEW ONES, I HAD NO TROUBLE WHATSOEVER LEARNING THE NEW VIDEOS. IN FACT, I WAS AFRAID I WOULDN'T GET A GOOD ENOUGH WORKOUT (THE FIRST TIME) BECAUSE I WOULD FUMBLE THROUGH THEM. BUT I WENT THROUGH THEM GREAT, BECAUSE OF MY FAMILIARITY WITH CATHE AND HER GREAT CUING.

NOT SURE HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN DOING CATHE, BUT ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED, IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE CATCHING ON (WHICH I DID WITH RHYTHMIC STEP BIG TIME!). JUST DO THE VIDEO SEVERAL TIMES -- HOPEFULLY THAT WILL HELP! WITH RHYTHMIC STEP I DID IT A COUPLE OF TIMES, THEN STOPPED BECAUSE I HAD TROUBLE -- I DID IT 8 MONTHS LATER AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

WITH CATHE'S WORKOUTS, IT MIGHT BE HARD AT FIRST, BUT SHE IS AWESOME AND I LOVE HER WORKOUTS!

ONCE YOU GET CATHE'S ROUTINES DOWN, SHE HAS GREAT WORKOUTS! HOPE THIS HELPS! GIVE IT SOME TIME!

Well said NY25...........Some are so defensive of Cathe, as if they are her best friend or something.....

I do hope Cathe answers your questions since I am sure you are interested in her reply (and that is why you posted at the Ask Cathe forum) ;)

I was flusterated and fusterated by the advanced cardio as well, and all I could do was the strength training! But I perserved because a friend of mine gave me the best advice. Do the older Cathe's first. Then it just clicked. I am proud to say, that I am no longer flusterated or fusterated. Now, I look forward in advanced workouts from Cathe. I have tried other advanced vids and I have sold, traded or gave me them away. Cathe has by far the best teaching techinque, I have ever seen! Try the older ones first, then it should click and then progress into the newer ones.
Thanks Cathe!! for the wonderful workouts!!!

Denise,

I COMPLETELY agree with your statement and have a dusty Cathe IMAX 3 video that I want to follow so badly but don't have the time to "memorize" the moves. I just wanted to let you know that I did a little searching online and found the following guide that a reviewer posted of the IMAX 3 video. Its nothing close to a an instructional video by Cathe but I know I'm going to look over it and try one more time tonight.

Good Luck!

Carol :)

Choreography Warm Up
• peg leg + mambo + peg leg mambo
• A-step + 4ct walk around
• turn step + power turn
• step outer thigh straddle + step knee exit

Step Combo #1
• mambo chachacha + pivot turn chachacha
• step knee off squat pendulum
• 1,2,3 turn + 3 hop turn over
• basic + hop turn
Blast #1
Hops on and off the step, straddle taps

Step Combo #2
• reverse mambo chachacha
• reverse mambo chachacha
• step kick straddle + 2 kicks
• 3 lunges & exit
Blast #2
step knee lifts, jumping jacks, power squats, db hops on and off the step

Step Combo #3
• step heel corner + floor
• hip flexor repeater
• figure 8
• step db knee pony down + rock back
Blast #3
Step knees, hop turns, power lunges, pulsing lunges

Step Combo #4
• step knee around the world
• step knee + shuffle around
• peg leg pivot + peg leg mambo
• 2 A steps
Blast #4
jump fwd, jump side, tuck jump, riccochet, jumping jack

Step Combo #5
• basic right + hop turn
• step insole, hesitate/straddle step insole
• ham curl on step and
• ham curl on the floor (in slow turn)
Blast #5
plie jacks, criss cross recovery

Step Combo #6
• rocking horse hop turn ball change
• rocking horse hop turn ball change
• step 2 knee repeater 3 skips
• up and back
Blast #6
step knee off the side, over 3 times + uneven lunges, circle over, single lunges to the side, step knee exit

Step Combo #7
• grapevine down the board + over the board
• shuffle turn 2x
• step knee straddle + jump freeze
• pony side to side
Blast #7
straddle step + jump up jumping variation on and off the step w lunges

Step Combo #8
• step knee off + bow & arrow + exit (= L step w turn)
• step insole on floor + side up
• side up around the corner
• up up and lunges off
Blast #8
plyo jack, air jack, tuck jump, step knee alternate plyo jacks

Step Combo #9
• up up six count mambo down
• turn straddle up up and exit
• over + basic
• over + step knee
Blast #9
step knee off, over 2x, hop turn over, outer thigh lift, leg extension jumps

Step Combo #10
• step knee off + over the top
• pivot turn + leg abduction exit
• 2 knee rep + turn & walk
• walk on top + lunges off
Blast #10
jump wide on step, jump together, jump off, jump wide
squat jumps, airborne jumps

Cooldown
grapevines, step touches

You go girl! You know it's funny. Since then, I've been looking at other step videos and I realize that maybe Cathe isn't so hard choreographically :) - in comparison that is. Amy Bento (who I don't like as much as Cathe) actually does take 5 minutes before her Advanced Step Challenge to go through each one of the very tricky moves in the workout. I just think that is so cool. That workout looks downright scary. Then last night, I previewed one of Christy Taylors step workouts (Step Heaven I think) and, Oh My God - I can just see myself falling all over the place! I have to say though, Christy uses GREAT GREAT GREAT music. She actually has Salsa and Merengue in her hi/lo heaven workout, but her choreography is crazy too. 2 1/2 weeks ago I fell and sprained my ankle really badly doing Cathe's DrillMax (I actually posted on this site about that and Cathe herself responded) and I'm really terrified to do anything tricky anymore. My ankle is still swollen after 2 1/2 weeks!
Thanks for your response and happy stepping!!
D from Yonkers, NY

I have to chime in and say that I don't see the harm in adding a 5 minute tutorial that focuses on some of the complex moves, not all, just the difficult moves.

I may be wrong, but I think Cathe does put a short "lesson" at the begining of the step workouts. I'm pretty sure Imax 2 has one about how to do the blasts and MIC has also. She also goes over stuff in the warmups, breaking it down and going over moves, that will be in the workout later on. (I'm thinking of Step Blast).
Deanie

>I may be wrong, but I think Cathe does put a short "lesson"
>at the begining of the step workouts.

Some, but not most.

She definitely describes the mambos at the beginning of Stepworks, but other than that, she doesn't do the short tutorial. At least not on the workouts of hers that I've done.

I have the most trouble with moves that put my back to the TV, especially if she doesn't cue with what foot I should be on. I think there's a difference between an advanced exerciser and advanced moves. I don't think it would take away from the workouts to put an instructional chapter as an option - if you need it, use it - if you don't, it won't impact your workout. Besides, she probably has to go over this stuff in prep for taping so it would necessarily be extra work for Cathe.

I always watch my DVD's before I try them. Since I don't have the time either (need to have 60 minutes or less workouts) to preview them I actually choose to give up some of my evening TV shows just to preview them. I have even gone as far to have the top layer of my step and click frame by frame through a segment to learn a new move.
I had forgotten to preview I Max 3 and was asking myselfx( Have I ever done this workout??

If I can't get a move I modify it until I do.

I think they ment used to cathes workouts because she has alot of signiture mives for her videos. Dont take it personal. Any one doiny these videos is kicking it up alot of notches.

Yeah I agree I have about twenty vids and some moves are harder for me b/c I am so uncoordinated I end up on the wrong side.LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.