Incremental weight between 20+2 glove and 25 pound dumbbells?

menomom

I want to move from 20 + weighted glove (2 lbs) to 25 pound dumbbells in upper body exercises, but need increments because it's too much for my supporting muscles to go up 3 pounds. Ideas?

I have PlateMates which are magnetic plates that attach to your dumbbells and come in 1.25# or 2.5# pairs. You can start by adding just one plate on the end of your dumbbell then add the second plate on the other end when you are ready. They also attach nicely to the weight plates on my barbell. They are little pricey but I use mine often so they are well worth it.

I pretty much use the 1.25# PlateMates every week since we bought them in preparation for STS way back in 2009. They don't work well on vinyl or rubber-coated dumbells, unless you remove the vinyl. But it's easy to add up to 5# (4plates) on each dumbbell. They really stretch our use of our dumbells.
I've also used the adjustable ankle weights on my wrists to add 1/2 pounds at a time.

Last edited:
Good question, menomom! I agree with you 100% that it is so important for us all to safely and gradually increase our weight loads. Good news! 22.5 lb dumbbells are available! I am in Canada and I can get them at Fitness Depot for example. You may want to search online for companies near you or those that would ship to you. 17.5lb. and 27.5lbs. are also available. I progress from 20s to 21lbs. (with my weighted gloves on) to 22.5 dumbbells to 23.5lbs. (with gloves on) to 25s. Then I never increase by more than 1.5 lbs at any time. And when I make these jumps I typically go down a couple of reps at first.

I have also used Debinmi's strategy of using adjustable ankle weights along with my dumbbell. Just need strong forearms for that, but it can certainly work.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.