increasing cals

kariev

Cathlete
have any of you ladies lost weight or jump started your weight loss by increasing your cals? I ask b/c i think that i'm not eating enought (1500/day) I workout for about 1 hr 5-6 days per week with cathe for my weights (sts) and CC for my cardio. I eat like this for a few days then binge so i'm guessing i'm binging b/c i'm not giving my body proper fuel. Its funny that i'm scared to up my cals to 1800 yet i will binge eat once a week and make my cals like 3000 for that day. makes no sense. so i'm just curious about increasing my cals.

Hi Kariev, I'm having the exact same problem. I'm doing STS, cardio at home, and I teach classes. Mon., Wed, 3 classes on Thurs., and Fri. I'm also afraid to up my calories because I'm afraid to gain weight. I also eat about 1500-1600, but it always seems after a few days I am just starving and I don't sleep good at night because I wake up hungry. This usually happens the week prior to "that time of the month". I eat clean MOST of the time but it is always that "week before". Any suggestions from Cathe would be greatly appreciated!

Try calorie staggering. Figure out the amount of cals you need to maintain your current weight based on your height, weight, lifestyle. Then deduct 20 to 30% to create a deficit. Some schools of thought say to reduce intake by no more then a flat 500 cals. Use whichever you prefer. Eat at the deficit for 3 days and then eat at maintenance for a day and continue the cycle. You should lose weight. If you don't then adjust your activity level in the calculation. I did this with much success after my son was born and I was having a hard time getting the last 10-15 pounds off.

I am doing it again currently. I just started about a week ago. Hoping for some good results again though I don't have nearly as much to lose this time....just a few extra pounds I put on being careless and haven't had much luck getting off before now....

HTH!:)

Last edited:
What works best FOR ME is to keep my calorie intake EVEN throughout the entire day. So, for instance, if I'm eating 1500 calories in a day, 5 meals in that day, each meal is about 300 calories. I find that if one part of my day is calorie-heavy, THAT'S when I start have issues with fatigue, mood swings, and the urge to binge after a few days.

Hope that helps.

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.