Imafitnessfreak...how do you do it?

acarolinagurl

Cathlete
Hi Sarah,

I've posted here just a few times, I mostly enjoy lurking about and every once in a while I'll see a topic that I will respond to. To get to my question for you, I think you are absolutely beautiful and can tell you work hard to get your body in the shape that it's in. I would like to know what you did to get it to the point you're at now, did you go to a gym, have a personal trainer, or did you just use Cathe, and P90X? I'm 44 yrs old, I have quite a few of Cathe's collection. I have cardio, strength and endurance w/o's. Just to let you know a little about myself, I have osteoarthritis, narrowing of the cervical spine, and I'm anemic...now I don't let those things stop me, I keep moving, it makes me feel better. I've noticed that I'm slowing down with it though. I can't take meds because I also have ulcerative colitis, so a med that could possibly help one ailment, reeks havoc to another, so I gave up on the meds, and take multivitamins, and Estroven, because I'm in that stage ( I think ) of perimenapause. Is there any advice you could give me to help me take the next step in building a healthy and fit body? Anyone else that would like to chime in here please feel free! Everyone here seems so supportive and I really like that about this forum. I've got a few responses from some about how to get rid on my middle, and that's been helpful as well. I need some motivation soon!!!:)

Hi Sandy!!

Thanks so much for your complimets! That is very sweet of you! Congratulations on your dedication to live a happy, fit and healthy life!! That is fantastic!

As for advice...I am full of it (advice and tips, that is;-) ) To answer a few questions off the bat...no, I have never owned a gym membership in my life. I did use the college gym for free when I was 19 years old but that was 14 years ago. Everything I have achieved (since having my son 3.5 years ago) was done in my own home. No gym, no trainers, no RD's. I started with The Firm (most of us have) and needed more of a challenge so I started with Cathe and have stayed here for the past 2.5 years.

First, it doesn't have to be complex. It just has to be a top priority. I always get my cardio in and I always get my weights in, as well as plenty of stretching. I do not workout all day...just everyday.

Second, diet is critical. You need to make healthy food choices almost all of the time. Do I eat cake? Yes...on birthdays! I keep my house free of junk food because I am not helping anyone by having it around. I have heard so many people say "but it's there for my kids"...hog wash...they don't need it either! If it is for the kids as a special treat, I usually get something they love and I hate. Anyway, I reach for lean proteins, complex carbs, simple carb(fruit in the a.m.), and some healthy fats. Water is always within arms reach.

You need to be creative and willing to make permanent changes so that you will stick with it. For me, gradual changes work best! Instead of totally turning my diet upside down, I did it piece by piece so it is less like a bucket of ice over the head. Changes are still being made on a gradual basis. I've got time...since I'm in this for the long haul!

Now, being that you have some health issues, you may want to seak the advice of an MD and RD that can point you in the right direction. I am neither so I am not the one to ask in regards to your health issues.

You can do this! All it takes is the decision on your part to be healthy and fit! Then, just enjoy the journey!

Sarah, as usual, well said. Sandy, she is right. It's all about dedicating yourself to being healthy. People make fun of the way I eat and I have gotten used to it( I think they have too). Slow and steady wins the race. Go at a pace that works for you. And make it FUN!! I find that if my workouts aren't fun it's time to change it up. Take breaks when you need them and know your limitations. You have some health issues, so don't let that get in your way, but be mindful of them and as Sarah has said seek professional advise about what you should or should'nt be doing.

We are all here to support each other and I find that coming here daily helps keep me motivated. Even on days when I say Oh I don't feel like working out. A quick visit here usually changes my mind. Stick with it and enjoy!!!!

Catherine

Another tip...find what motivates you and smother yourself with it!! What that is may change from day to day...and it will! One day, it could be something you read in a fitnes magazine. Another day, it could be a compliment from a friend that lights your fire. I will never forget some of the gust I put into my workouts after seeing WD (Diana Sue)...amazing!!

I keep fitness magazines all over the place. The Cathe site is what pops up as soon as I log onto my internet. I keep my fit pictures and not so fit pictures attached to my workout journal. I also keep a picture of my grandmother attached to my journal. It is my reminder of how I could look and feel if I do not take care of myself. HUGE MOTIVATOR! I surround myself with supportive people and have disregarded the negative people.

Find what motivates you! Remember, it is those days you don't feel like working out that you need it the most...and afterwards, you will feel the most rewarded! Allow yourself to quit after 10 minutes if need be, but never allow yourself to not start at all! Unless your sick!

Sarah-I gotta tell ya...well said! Everything you said, PURE TRUTH! I especially like the last tidbit about the days you don't want to do something....10 minutes and quit if you want, but "never allow yourself to not start at all". Something IS better than nothing.

As for the excuse of the kids wanting the food....time will come when the kids don't want it. It's that time at my house. I've had the same bag of chips in my pantry for WEEKS (like, since Super Bowl Sunday) and my kids reach around it for other stuff. I asked ONE LAST TIME yesterday if they wanted chips with their dinner, and both said NO! YIPPEE! Progress, baby!

Gayle

I hear ya, Gayle!!! Both of mine can't get enough of egg whites (they get mad if I include the yokes), oatmeal with fruit and peanut butter!! Yippee!!! Oh...and any Kashi cereal!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.