I'm tired of trying to lose weight!

jweb

Maybe someone out there in cyber space can help me! I feel like I have tried it all. Body for life, Atkins, low carb, no carb, Weight Watchers, Slim fast and the list will go on. I have no idea anymore what I am doing. I exercise about 3-5 days a week to Cathe primarily, but the weight just doesn't want to budge. Is there a plan out there for people who have tried it all that doesn't involve eating enough protein to support a small country?

Thanks,
Jen

Jen: I'm with you. I'm sick of all the mixed information and diet strategies!

I have tried many different approaches to eating and tried WW a few years ago (it worked but I was miserable and starving all the time so I couldn't stick to it). I also find that when I try to eat the recommended 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day, I am stuffed and have consumed too many calories that day unless I eat them in raw form (gets boring).

I have not lost any weight in about 2 years. I'm 5'6" and 142-ish pounds. I'm ready to lose the last 10!

A bit of tough love -

Jen, it sounds like you've done prefab diet in the world, at the expense of tuning into your body and letting it - and you - determine its nutritional and exercise needs.

How about this:

For the next 3 months, don't weigh yourself. Focus on exercising in a comfortably challenging and consistent manner, with an eye toward gradually increasing intensity every three weeks. At the same time, focus on eating a good, well-rounded complement of foods that are less processed, less in highly refined fats, carbohydrates and salts, good lean proteins, and focus on what your body is asking for each day, as opposed to what some ding-dong "plan" tells you is "right" for that day.

Also, please post here what your current exercise schedule looks like, and I'll bet you a dollar that you'll get a lot of good suggestions as to how you can modify it to restimulate your body.

And in the end, focus on how you FEEL rather than the number on the scale. Your body has an intelligence that you need to tap into.

A-Jock

Boy, has Aquajock hit the nail on the head! I, too, have tried them all, and in the process, put on about 50# !!

Clean eating--as described by Aqua (above) and Cathe's are getting the weight and fat off for me.

I stay off the scale and when I get on it (rarely), I don't expect to see tons of pounds lost. The first few weeks I did Cathe workouts, I saw a 10# gain! I was ecstatic! Because that meant I was putting on fat-burning, lean looking muscle! And that will make me smaller and tighter in the end--I know cause I did this before with other weight workouts (Firm) and clean eating and it works! I WEIGHED more than you would expect, but the size clothes I could get into was very small.
Have your clothes gotten looser?

Hi Jen! Usually when you hit a plateau (as I sense you have) now is the time to kick it up a notch. In nutrition as well as in working out. Whatever your doing now you need to change it up. If your doing more cardio & less weight training I would suggest you do the reverse & vice versa. Nutrition isn't difficult. Here's an example of what to eat even though I'm sure you already know this:

Meal 1: oatmeal w/fruit & egg white omellette or
high protein/high fiber cereal w/fruit or
egg white omellette w/FF shredded cheddar cheese & Ezekiel
bread w/jam
Meal 2: chicken + 1/2 baked potato or sweet potato or
handful of nuts + fruit
Meal 3: fish w/brown rice + veggies or
tuna fish veggie sandwich or
lentil soup + salad
Meal 4: spinach salad + egg whites or
spinach salad + protein of your choice
Meal 5: protein of your choice + veggies

Its really quite simple. If your consistent at eating this way, the weight will come off.

HTH, Kathy:D

If you have any questions, just give a holler.

A-jock, I think I love you! Yet ANOTHER insightful post. Your sound advice is always right on the money.

When you take a moment to really key into your body, it will lead you in the right direction.

Eat as if your quality of life depends on it, because it really does. Eat to be healthy, to feel good and the results will follow.

Jen, I felt compelled to search for a post that I did a while back in the hopes that it may help you. I've edited it a bit...but here goes...

I used to have a serious problem with my eating and have yo-yo dieted my entire adult life. I have to say that my problem with food is totally GONE now. I eat healthy 98% of the time with very little effort.

Don't ever go hungry. Eat every 2-3 hours. This will keep your blood sugars stable and you really won't crave the bad stuff. Keep each mini meal balanced with protein, complex carb and a tiny bit of "good" fat. That's what will keep you satisfied. Come up with a few things that are healthy but you really enjoy...and use those "snacks" as a way to counteract the bad stuff. Don't waste your time with fat free crapola...use real foods and keep your portions small. I remember Tom Hanks talking about how he lost weight for the film Cast Away and he said that he never ate anything that was bigger than his fist. That's a pretty good gauge of the proper size portion of protein and carb for each mini meal.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. LOTS!

Think of eating as fuel. The better your diet, the better you feel. Concentrate on feeling good rather than thinking...I CAN'T have that, because it's human nature to want what we think we can't have. Sooooooo many people have asked Cathe exactly what she eats to look like the goddess she is and she always replies that she eats a diet that varied and balanced with an occasional treat here and there. I'm sure if she said that she ate xyz...people would try to emulate that to a T rather than find what works for them.

A lot of people go on "diets" thinking that they HAVE to be completely strict to see results and if they have a piece of cake, they blew it and might as well hit the McDonalds drive through on the way home and then top it off with a bowl of ice cream. I used to binge eat to the point of nausea. I say, eat your SMALL piece of cake...enjoy every single bite and MOVE ON with your life. Pick up the good eating habits again RIGHT AWAY and don't give into the all or nothing mentality.

Some people like to have a cheat day, but I really got out of control on this and felt that it put me back very far in my progress. Now, I'll have one or two treats during the week with no guilt and no setbacks.

For the record, I have a 6 month old and two year old sons and gained quite a bit during each pregnancy. Now I'm back in my prepregnancy clothes with room to spare. I do think that I'm so busy taking care of them that the food "issue" really has no place in my life anymore. It takes a LOT of emotional energy to stress so much about your diet. Now, I'm so concerned about making sure my little boys learn to eat healthy that our meals are always balanced, healthy and relatively clean. Of course, I wouldn't want him to go through life without knowing the joy of a fresh baked cookie...so why would I put that restriction on myself. Life is WAY too short! (by the way, the second and third cookie tastes exactly like the first, so really take the time to savor that ONE)

I say, relax and don't be so hard on yourself. You CAN do it and always remember you are in control. It might take a while, but soon you can be free of this vicious cycle too. I wish you the VERY best of luck. I really know exactly where you are coming from. I'm sorry this post is so long, but this is a topic that I am extremely passionate about. Keep working hard with Cathe and everything will fall into place.

Hi, Letswork! Thank you for your kind words (you too, Cab54!). Jen, to expand just a bit on what I wrote earlier:

In my personal experience and opinion, when you are giving your body what it needs in terms of EXERCISE - adequate volume (frequency of workouts, duration of workouts), adequate intensity (in terms of cardiovascular challenge and strength challenge) and adequate mode (good blend of cardio work, strength / muscle conditioning work, and flexibility work) - your body tells YOU what it needs through what it craves, in terms of amounts and macronutrients (carbs, proteins, good fats, etc.). Far too many people exercise underneath their capabilities, out of fear or avoidance of discomfort or what have you. It is always more challenging and complicated to look at exercise protocols and make needed changes than it is to remain in Food Cop Mode.

Again, please post your exercise history (briefly! :7 ) and your current program. I'll bet TWO dollars that is where you can make meaningful changes.

A-Jock

This is a great thread. I don't post much, but I had to add something I did recently that has really helped me, silly as it sounds. I live alone, so I am forever eating my meals sitting on my couch or even standing in my kitchen. I went out recently and bought a pretty place setting, water glass, placemat, candle and flower vase and set up a beautiful spot at my table where I now sit and eat all my meals (except lunch at work, which I am still struggling with). It sounds like such a little thing, but it has made a big difference to me. Junk just doesn't look right in such a setting and I enjoy the eating process now. Oh, and having a pitcher of water and a pretty glass there has greatly increased the amount of water I consume with each meal. Go figure!

Good Afternoon All!

All your advice is so encouraging and motivating!

A Jock, I can stop weighing, it will be tough, the scale is like a bad relationship you just can't leave. But I will try.

I have alot of Cathe's workouts and really enjoy them, they are a little hard for me. I started the May rotation and am proud to say I have done every workout this week! Maybe I expect to much to soon. As for dieting, what you all are saying is to not count calories? Than how do you really know if you are eating more than you need to? Listen to my body, my body says is hungary all the time!

You all have given my such good advice and I am feeling better now than I did this morning.

Thanks again,
Jen

Jen,

I'm going to offer my two cents for what its worth. I too was sick of dieting - I tried everything: Atkins, South Beach, WW, Body RX, 6-week body makeover, EVERYTHING in desperation to lose the 10 pounds I'd gained in the 6 years I've been out of college. My goal was to drop 10 pounds, or at least look like I did by toning up my flab. Well, I yo-yo'd for the past 2 years trying all of these diets. I ate so much "healthy" stuff that it just made me bigger and bulkier, or I was overly obsessed with eating the right food at the right time with the right time, or I'd be so strict on myself that I'd just binge in the end for two weeks and gain it all back.

I started Weight Watchers over again at the first of the year and they have a new "flex points" program. It seems to be working for me because I've managed to stay on it all of this time, and I don't feel deprived at all. For my weight range, I have a target of 20 points and 35 flex points for the week. well, what does this mean? To the junk food junky, you can still eat burgers and fries at lunch and starve for the rest of the day because you used all of your points, but I don't use it this way. I choose lots of lean protein like chicken and turkey and fish and load up on "free veggies" all day. And if I want a piece of cake or a special splurge, I have one, and just count the points or use some of my Flex points. I use it as a tool to monitor my caloric intake and make better choices throughout the day. I don't have time to count calories and protein grams and all of that. It doesn't fit my lifestyle. It also allows for activity points where you "earn" extra points for exercise. This has been a huge motivation to get my butt up in the morning and workout with Cathe! In one hour, I can earn an additional 5 points!

I'm well on my way to reaching my 10 pound goal. Perhaps 2 more lbs and I'm there, and I'll continue to work out with Cathe to tone and maintain. I don't obsessively weigh myself nor do I attend WW meetings, but I do weigh myself from time to time and measure myself to make sure I'm progressing.

This is just a thought to consider. I feel like I've found something that works for me and its helped a lot of my friends as well. In the meantime, I wish you best!

Joy

Joy,
I tried WW flexpoints for about three months and lost a total of about 5#, very unmotivating. But I have learned that I was not doing my Activity points right. I wasn't counting most my exercise days as high intensity. I was thinking about trying it again, but I am so burned out right now on dieting that I think I will just exercise. But thanks for your two cents worth, it was worth it and good job on your weight loss!

Jen

The trouble with a lot of "diets" is that even if you lose weight, it's not a long-term solution. Several of the diet plans you mentioned (particularly "no carb" and perhaps Slim fast) are programs that are hard to keep up in the long run. What is more effective for permanent weight loss (though it may happen more slowly) is a combo of exercise (cardio, including higher intensity cardio, for fat burning, and weight training to boost your metabolism all day) and an eating plan that allows you to burn more calories than you take in.

Some simple changes to your lifestyle can add up in the long run. Drink water instead of soft drinks, if you do drink them. If that's too plain for you, you can add a few drops of stevia (a natural herbal sweetener that is low glycemic) or add a packet of Emergen-C vitamin and mineral complex (available at health food stores. It comes in many citrus flavors, as well as a cola flavor).

Try to add more walking to your daily routine: make it a habit to park as far as possible from the door to your office. Walk up stairs rather than using the elevator. Take a 20-30 minute walk during lunch break. You get the idea.

"Picture Perfect Weight Loss" is an excellent book, IMO, to train your eye to make the best food choices you can. It's not a specific "diet," but an awareness tool so that you can begin to make better food choices (the pictures are very yummy looking, too!)

For a motivational boost, you might want to check out e-diets. I did this for 3 months last year, to help me get rid of those stubborn 10 pounds that have been hanging around for the last few years. There are a number of diet programs available (I personnally don't recommend the Atkins or hi protein or low carb, if mediteranean is a choice, then go for that). I chose the vegetarian plan (I'm a vegan), but I frankly never followed the meal plan or recipes! (Though I printed them out for possible future reference). What worked for me was that I joined a couple of challenges, and I was made accountable to others on the forum there. There is also a weekly weigh-in that helps keep you accountable.

There is a weight loss registry study that keeps info on people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for 5 years or more. It shows that the vast majority of them work out 60-90 minutes every day.

The Flex Points plan, in my opinion, is a sure-fire recipe for failure. I gained over 70 lbs trying to use the Flex Points plan. Yes, you read that correctly, 70 lbs. The reason for this can be attributed to the fact that having the extra points to spend in ANY way that you want leads to bingeing.

On the original points plan at Weight Watchers, I lost 110 lbs. I was beautiful at my all-time lowest weight of 135 lbs, 5'4," and a size 6. This is why it kills me when I read people's incessant whining the consists of their "feeling SO fat and they have HAD it," while they only weigh around 145 lbs or so. How would you like to be 5'4" and weigh over 215 lbs? That is what I weigh now and THAT is a fat weight. Someone who is 5'6" and 143 lbs is NOT overweight and he/she who thinks otherwise really should consider getting his/her head examined. These obsessive ramblings are precursors to an eating disorder. (Trust me, I've been there, done that).

I have recently gone back to the original WW points plan and I plan on staying far away from the meetings because they insist on advocating the new Flex Points system. After all, to coin an oft-used phrase: "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I'm sorry that happened to you while you were on the Flex Points plan. I too was on the original Points plan, but I did not lose weight. After carefully looking at the calories I was taking in daily, I learned from a nutritionist that I was not eating enough. So I started to add a few points day by day and sure enough, I started to lose. This fell in line perfectly with the Flex Points plan that I started this year because now I spread those points over the week and use them for an extra small meal or perhaps a protein meal replacement shake if I feel I haven't gotten enough in a given day.

Different Strokes for different folks. And eating the flex points is not mandatory, they are optional. So, I wouldn't blame them on gaining 70 pounds.

I also don't attend meetings because I don't like the way they force you to weigh in weekly. Weight fluctuations from week to week are a part of life, especially in the female body. I prefer to rely on a tape measure or bodyfat testing as an accurate measure of my progress. Just mho.

Joy

I would also like to recommend e-diets. I tried it a while back and it worked, but I didn't stick with it. I just signed up again and I'm going to start tomorrow after going to grocery store tonight. The recipes are very easy and there is a big variety. I use the regular e-diets plan. I'm a fairly picky eater and there are many foods that I like on this plan.

Kelly,

I have several coworkers on the eDiets plan and they are having great success. Best of luck to you!

Joy

Please read my previous post in the section "need to lose 20-30 lbs." As I said there, after I had already lost the 20 lbs I wanted to lose, and was back to my usual weight, and not feeling particularly fat, my wife presented me with the book "Eat To Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I found out that he knew far more than I did about diet and nutrition despite the fact that I had spent the last 35 yrs researching the subject, plus more recently going to medical school. I started on his "diet" which is not really designed for losing weight, but for optimum health, I was amazed as I lost another 15 to 18 lbs with no increase in my exercise level, which was practically non-existant at the time. I am now 5' 10" tall with a weight of 160 lbs, which is what I weighed in High School, when I was competing in very vigorous Judo competitions. If you read the book Eat To Live, you'll learn what the last 30 yrs of nutritional research has found is best for you, and it definitely IS NOT ATKINS!
Atkins diets are toxic (that's why he tells you to drink an 8 ounce glass of water Every hour ! ), and can damage you kidneys in a relatively short period of time. Also, not mentioned in Eat To Live, I separately found out that there was a diet study done and published in Angiology journal (a scientific journal dedicated to the study of arteries) in the year 2000, which showed that on an Atkins diet the participants Lost 40% of the BLOOD FLOW TO THEIR HEART MUSCLE in just ONE year. Supposedly Atkins died from a fall, but his wife refused to let a full autopsy be done, not only because she didn't want to have it in writing that his coronary (heart) arteries were clogged up, but also because it could have been found that although he died from falling and hitting his head, it's also possible that the reason he fell down was because he had a heart attack!!!
The Atkin's Foundation recently sold for $500,000,000 which is why she and others have a very large interest in not letting people know how bad the Atkin's diet is for you. I,on the other hand am a doctor with no interest in either helping Dr Atkin's, nor Dr. Fuhrman earn more money. I am "pushing" the Eat To Live" diet only because I really believe in it, and am recommending it to almost every diabetic I meet, as it cures diabetes as well as optimizing the molecular health of every cell in your body.
Anyway, still read my other post, and get the book, it will save you from multiple other unhealthy diets, and help you lose weight easily, while not feeling hungry (because you'll be eating so many healthy for you vegetables and fruits you'll be full.)

Dr David

...isn't the "Eat to Live" diet a vegetarian diet? I started following the Zone some years ago and believe I do need some protein as I exercise alot. Marathon running. I am not real sure a vegetarian diet would have enough protein for me?...what are your thoughts?...Carole

Thanks Joy. I'm back from the grocery store and I'm starting first thing in the morning. I'm really going to try to stick to it this time. What I like best is it really didn't feel like a diet to me. I was always satisfied and never hungry. I just didn't stick to it and started eating junk food again. Hopefully I'll make it this time. I really need to lose around 10-15 pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.