I'm such a weakling :)

ChelePA

Cathlete
Many times I'm not even close to lifting what Cathe does. Just got Flex Train and for many of the moves my weight was lower...sometimes much lower. I definitely need to work my upper body more.

Don't be hard on yourself. I've been getting back into my routines and I only lift half of what they do. But I know with experience, if I keep with it, my lifting will be much better soon. Also some days just are not up to par. It happens. Be good to yourself. At least you are doing them and trying to be more healthy. That's a wonderful thing to be doing for yourself. Congratulations for that decision.

I agree with above post, just keep at it [emoji4] it will happen. My upper body is not as strong I still struggle with push ups on toes and I've been doing Cathe's workouts for years. It just taking time effort and focus. We can do it [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never been able to do push-ups on my toes, have never been able to lift even close to what Cathe does, can't
Do planks on my toes, high impact is a no-no, but you know what? I can do what I can do, I've gotten stronger &
I listen to my body....and I'm just fine with that!

Compound moves is really where it's at for me with my gangly arms and chest to gain strength. :) Keep it up & you will get stronger. What Cathe lifts might be excellent to set goals, although it's probably best to measure up against what your last weight was(which is what Cathe advises). Plus, Flextrain is not easy. There is so much going on in that one (at least for me! lol). I certainly cannot lift as heavy as Cathe more than half of the time, but we just moved to a new place & we managed to do all of our own moving. I helped to lift sofas, wooden furniture down stairs, pulled heavy bags etc. That is what made me feel strong.

It's true, you will get stronger as you progress, but the main thing you need to remember is that correct form is much more important than how heavy you go! If you lift too heavy, your form will suffer. Improper form can cause injury, as well as limit your progress.

Good luck! You can do it!

It's true, you will get stronger as you progress, but the main thing you need to remember is that correct form is much more important than how heavy you go! If you lift too heavy, your form will suffer. Improper form can cause injury, as well as limit your progress.

That is so true! Even tho' I go with lighter weights than most, I have progressed and moved up to heavier weights, still not even close to Cathe's
but a progression in the right direction for me! and I try very hard to keep the correct form, and if the move doesn't feel right to me, I change
it up with something else..

Thanks for the reminder!

I think the fact that you're exercising is proof enough that you're no weakling (it's a lot easier sitting on the couch than getting yourself moving, at least in my case)! Everyone is different and keeping up with Cathe would be a challenge for almost everyone! We all have our limits as to what we can or can't do but that gives us room for improvement, right? I'm 46 and for the first time in my life I can do push-ups on my toes thanks to Cathe (not that many, though LOL). Yet I can't do high impact at ALL due to knee and jumping issues. So progress is progress and we do what we can and should be proud of that! :D

When I first started to exercise, I began with old school step workouts and no weights. My arms would still be so tired just from waving them around in the air for 30-45 minutes! A decade later, I can almost always keep up with Cathe's weights and reps. Keep at it!

Also, JeanneMarie is absolutely right - good form should always come first. Push yourself, but be safe about it! I did something terrible to a trapezius four years ago lifting more than I could manage with good form and it still sometimes flares up. You don't want that!

Your post title definitely caught my eye. I always thought I was pretty strong but then I started lifting weights when I discovered Cathe and thought to myself "You have some work to do!" Roughly 6 years later I bought a set of 35 lbs dumbbells to do chest presses and back work on some of her workouts. I was so proud to progress and you will progress as well. Stay tough and keep working out and you will be much stronger, not only physically but mentally as well. You will be able to take care of yourself better and those in your life.
On a more personal note, I have really found a love for weightlifting and feel it helps me lead an active lifestyle. I cross-country ski (hence "snowlover") and found doing Cathe workouts makes me much better skier. I've been doing the skating style of skiing for 30 years now and want to continue for 30 more.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I am more of a cardio person :) I have recently bought more workouts focusing on upper body. Also the new series should help...can't wait to get it!

I have been exercising and lifting regularly for 6 (!) years now...with the exception of 2 months off when I broke my shoulder... and it has taken such a long time to work up strength...I think it is because of my body type which is not prone to build up muscle (I forgot what that's called), but also due to the fact that I am a woman and ageing (sp?). Anyway, that's life!! I still keep on lifting and exercising though 'cuz I like it!!!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.