I'm scared !

Hi ,Over the weekend i bought an athletic works stability ball( i think thats the walmart brand) at walmart and it doesn't say anything about burst resistance,so does anyone else out there have one and do you feel safe using it? Is this a big thing,do balls burst alot? Please let me know either way cause i can't decide whether or not to keep it. I guess i should have done the stability ball search and learned about this bursting threat first huh?
Mrsscififanec

I bought my last ball at Walmart and it's fine. I think I bought it over a year ago for around $13. I am not sure about the brand, but it's a 55cm & green. Mine hasn't bursted yet and I use it at least 2-3 times a week.

Aila:)

I have 2 stability balls that I bought at Target. They are NOT anti-burst and I have had no problems what so ever. My DH uses one and he weighs about 220...I've had both of the a few years...just my 2 cents...:)...Carole

I had to buy the burst resistant one I have now because my first one was NOT and it DID. Fortunately it burst when I was NOT using it! I had just finished using it however, and it scared me very badly when it popped. I don't mean to be negative, but I just wanted to let you know my experience.

Not to be negative either, but I would DEFINITELY get a burst-resistant ball. Murph, one of the Cathe fans here E-mailed me last week saying she was sitting on hers doing overhead presses with heavy dumbbells and her ball burst. She fell to the ground and hit/hurt her back and the dumbbells went flying! I HAD a burst-resistant ball and one day was doing wall squats with it and heard this hissing sound and wondered what it was?? It was my burst-resistant ball deflating SLOWLY as I was rolling it against a sharp edge on my bodybar rack. It proved to me that they do deflate slowly and even though I was disappointed that it was ruined, I was happy it didn't send me flying to the floor with a possible injury. Now, this has reminded me that I NEED to get another one because the one I am using now, is not B-R!! YIKES! I will find the link to the one I had and post it soon. BRB!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

My 210 pound husband was sitting on a ball playing a "shoot 'em up" interactive game on the computer. He rolled over something sharp at the same time that someone on-line shot him. So he got shot on the computer and his ball burst at the same leaving him STUNNED on the ground, thinking "How did he DO that?!" Then he burst out laughing when he figured it out. It was 2:30 a.m., too, so I woke up to the sound of "BANG, HUH? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!"

Just wanted to say that this is the same ball Cathe uses in some of her workouts:

http://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.aspx?c=21&g=2471#

Here is the sizing chart:

STABILITY BALL RECOMMENDATIONS
Ball Diameter Person's Height
30 cm - 11.8" - Under 4'6"
45 cm - 17.7" - 4'6" to 5'0"
55 cm - 21.6” - 5’1” to 5’7”
65 cm - 25.5” - 5’8” to 6’1”
75 cm - 29.5” - 6’2” to 6’7”
85 cm - 33.5” - 6’7” and up
ALL BALLS SHIPPED DEFLATED.
SEE OUR SELECTION OF AIR PUMPS.

I was very happy with mine. Good Luck!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi everyone,Thanks for all the responses,i think i'm going to
take this one back,because i know myself and if i were to keep it i'll be too paranoid to use it because i seem to be one of those people that if someone says oh that hardly ever happens i wouldn't worry about it, i know that for me it's most likely gonna happen to me and probably soon LOL! So better safe than sorry !
Mrsscififanec

Amy, that was too funny. I almost spit up my coffee here at the office. However, this is all very good information. I have been looking around to purchase a stability ball and have wondered the same thing about it being burst resistant.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.