I'm Bored With Food

melagras

Cathlete
Do any of you get into a funk when it comes to food? Nothing appeals to me right now. Lately when I try new recipes they don't taste anything like what I expected.

Yes! I totally understand. This happens to me. I get so I can't be bothered to eat, nothing appeals, I open the fridge, look around desultorily, close it again and mope off. If I lived in 2070, maybe they'd have nutrition pills by then and on days like this, we could take one of those with a glass of red wine and not have to worry about it!

Maybe try a recipe that uses fresh, seasonal produce? Simple, fresh, recipes with fewer fuss and ingredients: these might be the ticket. When in doubt, maybe go out to eat and let the restaurant tempt your taste buds?

Whatever happens, give up on the old egg white omelettes, plain old rice and chicken breasts. Dull, dull, dull.

Try an eggplant parmesan, a lentil stew rich with tomatoes and herbs coupled with fresh crusty baguette, home made pesto pizzas on Naan breads with roasted tomatoes and snap peas under a layer of mozzarella. Tempting?

Clare

Yes! I totally understand. This happens to me. I get so I can't be bothered to eat, nothing appeals, I open the fridge, look around desultorily, close it again and mope off. If I lived in 2070, maybe they'd have nutrition pills by then and on days like this, we could take one of those with a glass of red wine and not have to worry about it!

Maybe try a recipe that uses fresh, seasonal produce? Simple, fresh, recipes with fewer fuss and ingredients: these might be the ticket. When in doubt, maybe go out to eat and let the restaurant tempt your taste buds?

Whatever happens, give up on the old egg white omelettes, plain old rice and chicken breasts. Dull, dull, dull.

Try an eggplant parmesan, a lentil stew rich with tomatoes and herbs coupled with fresh crusty baguette, home made pesto pizzas on Naan breads with roasted tomatoes and snap peas under a layer of mozzarella. Tempting?

Clare
Sounds good to me. I'm trying to incorporate more vegetarian dishes. You are right about chicken breasts and rice - dull!

I find this fascinating. I truly cannot imagine getting bored with food. Not trying to be a smart aleck, here. I honestly can't wrap my head around it.
:( I hope you find something that appeals to you, Melagras and Clare.

No boredom for me either... wholesome, fresh and healthy natural foods are so satisfying to me. It is amazing the things that can be created with just a few simple ingredients. I just wish that I did not have to spend the time in the kitchen preparing my food. I want a personal chef! :p

I get that way sometimes but I do it to myself. I get obsessed with a certain kind of food and eat a lot of it for months then get bored with it--but nothing else appeals either. I did this with oatmeal. For about a year I ate it for at least one meal a day--frequently 2-3 meals a day! I had to stop eating it for a few months. Now I just eat it a few times a week. I loved it tho! It's all I wanted to eat.

Weird. I know. I've done that with apples, black beans, and Greek yogurt, too. I know I need to not eat these things every single day for months--but they are all I feel like eating, but then I burn out on them and nothing else sounds appealing either. Oatmeal was the most extreme episode!

jengollf said:
I get that way sometimes but I do it to myself. I get obsessed with a certain kind of food and eat a lot of it for months then get bored with it--but nothing else appeals either. I did this with oatmeal. For about a year I ate it for at least one meal a day--frequently 2-3 meals a day! I had to stop eating it for a few months. Now I just eat it a few times a week. I loved it tho! It's all I wanted to eat.

Weird. I know. I've done that with apples, black beans, and Greek yogurt, too. I know I need to not eat these things every single day for months--but they are all I feel like eating, but then I burn out on them and nothing else sounds appealing either. Oatmeal was the most extreme episode!

Hey, the same thing with me, except that for 48 years it's been chocolate! :) or I guess that should be :-(

Trixoo--I have that problem, too--but I solve that with environment control!:) I adore Special K Berries cereal but if I buy it, it's all I want to eat. So I stopped buying it. (I have that problem with cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies, too--but I never bring them into the house--If I eat them it is a treat outside of my house).

But I give myself leeway for things like oatmeal and apples--I figure, it's good for me, right? But then I OD on it!

I understand completely. Happens to me. Now since I found out I am gluten intolerant, eating is not fun anymore. All the things I can't have and the substitues, some of them are pretty yucky. But know you are not alone. Is there something new you have been wanting to try? I wish you the best.

Cookling Light Magazine

Try subscribing to Cooking Light magazine. I found I was making the same dishes over and over again until I got that magazine. It really helped me change things up. I don't think I have ever had a bad recipe from that magazine either. I wouldn't recommend subscribing to to it year after year though. I found that they repeat the recipes so it becomes a waste of money.

I compare food to exercise. You have to get out of your comfort zone and try new things! I'm a HUGE foodie! You probably won't ever find someone like me that enjoys food as much as I do :p. My tip would be to experiment with different cuisines. There are SO many ways to make delicious yet healthy meals to tantalize your taste buds. Coconut curries are delish! Pair it up with chicken and veggies in a Crock Pot and throw over your grain of choice. If you get tired of meat dishes, try Vegan dishes! Loaded with fiber and so very heart-healthy :). For breakfast, throw a little dark chocolate square in your oatmeal and add a small scoop of vanilla protein power; tastes like dessert -- but satisfying and wholesome. Almond butter and banana on top of 1 whole grain waffle makes for a wonderful healthy snack :p. Another goodie, have breakfast for dinner :p. Make an egg white frittata (lots of recipes on-line) and load it up with veggies! Speaking of veggies, there are so many ways to spice them up! No need to just boil or steam to make them healthy. Drizzle with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and pop in the oven. You can do this with practically all veggies; asparagus, zucchini, green beans, peppers. Take parsnips and make parsnip "faux" mashed potatoes! Instead of using butter and milk, use greek yogurt to kick up your protein. So many ways to fall in love with food all over again ;).

Good luck and happy eating!

Natasha

Not trying to say you have to go vegan to enjoy food, but my food interest and culinary creativity SKYROCKETED when I went vegan. Check out cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz's (awesome vegan chef with lots of great cookbooks), Bryant Terry, or Nava Atlas. Hopefully they can help you get your gastronomic groove back. ;-)

I'm a comfort/stress eater so I can't say that I'm bored with food. {I wish sometimes:rolleyes:} Although, I've spent the past few years working on my eating off and on I still find days where I suddenly find myself in the kitchen looking for something to eat without being hungry or even knowing why I'm there.

I think my main problem right now is that I haven't really slept for 2 weeks now. I'm beyond tired, more like a zombie and I have to keep going (full time teaching, full time parenting, husband away for weeks on trip, soccer season has begun!!!!). So, the appetite has just disappeared. I also cook a lot, veggie food from scratch, but right now that's another chore to do to add to my list and if there's any time at all, I need to nap!

Still, I think, since I have been vegetarian since aged 15, that maybe experimenting with more mediterranean dishes (Claudia Rosen?) might be the thing. Then Vegan recipes....

Soon. Need to sleep first. Thanks for all the concern and ideas ladies!
Clare

maddiesmum said:
I think my main problem right now is that I haven't really slept for 2 weeks now. I'm beyond tired, more like a zombie and I have to keep going (full time teaching, full time parenting, husband away for weeks on trip, soccer season has begun!!!!). So, the appetite has just disappeared. I also cook a lot, veggie food from scratch, but right now that's another chore to do to add to my list and if there's any time at all, I need to nap!

Still, I think, since I have been vegetarian since aged 15, that maybe experimenting with more mediterranean dishes (Claudia Rosen?) might be the thing. Then Vegan recipes....

Soon. Need to sleep first. Thanks for all the concern and ideas ladies!
Clare

Definitely get rest Clare!!! Stay strong!!!

Vegan

Not trying to say you have to go vegan to enjoy food, but my food interest and culinary creativity SKYROCKETED when I went vegan. Check out cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz's (awesome vegan chef with lots of great cookbooks), Bryant Terry, or Nava Atlas. Hopefully they can help you get your gastronomic groove back. ;-)

This is precisely what happened to me! I was always of the mindset that "vegan has GOT to be TOUGH." Boy, was I ever wrong! :) For me, eating vegan is challenging in social situations, but when I am my own chef, I enjoy getting creative. And I love to make the food look pretty. ;)

Clare ~ first and foremost.... rest up and take care of yourself. Sorry that you have to stretch yourself so thin. :( (((hugs)))

Clare, sorry you are not feeling well. Hopefully you can catch up on some rest and surely that will make you feel better. I know I am very cranky when I'm not getting enough sleep, and a lack of sleep definitely affects your perspective on everything...in a negative way.

Eva

I totally feel ya!! My main problem is finding the time to cook. With 4 kids, 12 hour work days, husband on nights, I find it hard to even have the desire to cook. Cooking and cleaning are 2 things that have lost priority in my life for the time being. I never eat what I make the kids because it's just typical kid friendly food. I often just end up eating Kashi cereal or greek yogurt with granola and almonds for dinner. I need quick easy, healthy, kid friendly meals....

I understand completely. Happens to me. Now since I found out I am gluten intolerant, eating is not fun anymore. All the things I can't have and the substitues, some of them are pretty yucky. But know you are not alone. Is there something new you have been wanting to try? I wish you the best.

Frankly, I hate most of the GF subs, they are yucky. I prefer foods that are naturally GF. Quinoa, lentils, beans, different kinds of squash, I love roast eggplant with a slice of a roast pepper and cheese. That is very tasty.

Original Poster:
I have gone through times in my life where food was not appealing. I just stopped eating, my doctor didn't seem worried because I was overweight at the time. I was also healing from a broken bone. So that might have been the culprit. Instead of going to the grocery store, have you tried a farmer's market? Maybe the produce is just not quite ripe enough to appeal to you.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.