>
>And again, I've TRIED WW, Jenny Craig, BFL, portion control,
>vegan/vegetarian etc. and none of them worked. Maybe this will
>maybe it won't but its worth a shot!
>
>On another note, I don't understand why this diet causes such
>extreme emotion. No other diet does that. If I said I was
>going to stop eating meat and become a vegan I wouldnt get
>near the reaction. It just seems odd to me.

Oh..trust me CBelle going Vegan got me nothing but slack from people!!! More than ANY other diet I had tried. And it still does...:)...but now I could care less as I feel heathier than I have ever been. My concerns are with your marathon training as others have said. I know Maximus follows Atkins and looks great, but marathon training is something different. I would suggest maybe the "Zone Diet", as I did do that during a few marathons and did very well. Emotionally I care about people, and in the long run I am not sure what the excessive protein consumption part in the early stages of Atkins can eventually do to your health. Just my 2 cents and I know different things work for different people...:)...Carole

Cbelle, It's not that the topic is controversial just that marathon training coupled with a low-carb diet won't work. The 100 grams of carbs I ingested yesterday were during my 20 mile run. Those carbs were in addition to my heavily carb weighted diet.

I don't think it can be overly stressed how precious carbs are when running. If you go the low-carb route the glycogen stores in your muscles will be depleted and that's what your body is relying on for energy to run.

I'm truly interested in your success in both dieting and marathon running and that's the only reason why I'm offering completely unsolicited advice! :) :D

I agree Carol. I've gotten sooo much flack for becoming a vegan. But again, I don't consider it to be a diet so I didn't try it and wait for immediate weight loss results.
Everyone I've ever known who has tried the Atkins diet (which I believe is up to about a dozen now) has tried it, lost weight(a lot in some cases), touted the great results they've gotten, and eventually gone back to their regular way of eating, and gained all of the weight and then some.
I've also read studies that followed Atkins people and low-fat dieters over the course of I think 3 years. The Atkins people lost more weight initially and then plateaued. The low fat people lost a smaller amount of weight but continued to do so. In the end, they found almost no difference in the amount of weight lost between the 2 groups. The only difference was that the people on the diets found the low fat diets easier to stay on for the long term.
Carolyn

u know what? do whatever works for you? Sometimes the tried and true evidence does not always work the same from one person to the next. I'm not a big atkins fan, but that's just me. I fully support what other people think works best for them. Best of luck :)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Dr Atkins was not obese at the time of his accident nor did his heart condition have anything to do with his diet. When he was admitted to the hospital he weighed 195lbs which is a very healthy weight for his size and age. At the time of his death some two weeks later he had retained massive amounts of water due to the medication he was on and his death report had him at 258. Thus the misconception that he was obese at the time of his death. Also his heart condition was cardiomyopathy due to a virus. It was not a congenital heart attack that would have been related to his diet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.