I'm a little sad, husband got a vasectomy yesterday

JUJYGRL

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Yesterday my husband had a vasectomy. We have two boys and I've been on the pill now for 15 yrs on and off. I just got a little sad thinking I will never have another. I have two beautiful healthy boys and really don't want another but still I got a little sad especially when my 8 yr old said when he and his brother go off to college I can have another baby. :-(

I do have a question. How long should I keep taking the pill. I worked with a guy who had op then 3 months later got his wife pregnant..woops. I'm a little bummed about going off the pill. My cycles are only 3 days, they are light and no cramps or pimples. I don't look forward to going back to all that.

~Chrissy~

Hi Chrissy,

Talk to the doctor who did the procedure, as different methods mean different times one must use protection. Usually just a call to the office and explain they'll be able to tell you over the phone.

Also remember you don't have to go off the pill if you don't want to, that's completely up to you, and it's perfectly okay to use it, as a period control rather then baby control.

Also look at what your hubby did. It shows he really loves you and really wants to be in your life forever. You have two healthy kids, already and weren't planning on another one. I know not the option isn't there. But think for a moment do you really want a child right now or a bit later in life? Especially when your two boys go to college in about 10 years, do you want to be trying to chase a baby around then? I'm guessing you'll be some where around 40 when they go off, that means you'll be nearly 60 years old when the last kid you'd have goes to college and is grown and leaving the nest. That will be extremely hard to pay for that last one and get it threw college.

If you feel a bit down, really look at the whole picture, and see if you can truly say what you have right now is right for you. If it is. Then you shouldn't be sad but happy as it's perfect for you and your family.

Kit

Chrissy, Its a good thing to "grieve" And its normal . But your sex life will be so much better ."No worries" you will get over your grieving real fast . I know I did LOL ! No really . But yes you do need to stay on the pill until you take a sample of hubbys you know what to his DR ,And you get the go ahead that hes shooting blanks !!!! Sorry I 'm so blunt !! It will AL be ok

When my dh had his vasectomy we had to take semen samples in for testing twice. It was only after the second test that I went off the pill. I haven't had to take the pill for almost 17 years now and it is GREAT!!!

I think I'll wait till he gets 2 tests done before I go off the pill. Who knows, maybe my cycles will not be as bad as they were way back when I was in my early 20's.

Thanks for understanding my bit of sadness and for reminding me of the perks of not having to worry about an unexpected pregnancy.

~Chrissy~

I would love for my husband to have a vasectomy, we are not going to have kids and it just seems to make sense. To be honest though he's not all that willing to discuss it, he just looks pained and says he's uncomfortable with the thought. He has this idea that after having one he won't get any "release." I know I'm tired of the pill though. :(

Sparrow

Sparrow, I'm sorry your hubby feels that way .... If he only knew it would actually make his sex life better !!! NO worries .And maybe its his turn ,I bet he would not like to start wearing a rain coat if you know what I mean . !!!Ok sorry I'm so blunt ! But throw that idea by him !!!

Bluntness is always appreciated by me! Anyway, I don't like the "raincoats" either, LOL, I find them uncomfortable and they kill the spontaneity (spelling?) I think that's his ace in the hole, knowing I don't like them either. Odd, because he is usually a very giving and kind man. Of course, men are protective of their "packages." :D I actually told him I wouldn't bring it up for 6 months, but when that time is up, we're seriously discussing it again!!

Sparrow

Sparrow - have you considered having a tubal ligation? I had one in March and it went really well and I'm so glad that I had it done. My DH would have had a vasectomy, but it just seemed easier for me to have my tubes tied.

Erica

Sparrow. I have done both LOL ... My X had a vasectomy. And he was a big baby about it ... The reason being My Dr said I was to young to get my tubes tied .... Anyway long story short we ened up divorced ... At 40 I had another baby and Ummmmmm tied my tubes then !!! LOL something about its not healthy for you do that so young (I'm not sure your age but guessing your younger then me LOL). But that it is safe to do that to a man at any age !!! Its like a darn dentist appt ..... Besides if You both Know you DONT want kids !! Well its the only real way to NOT have them .... Or Well the other, Your hubby wont like LOL Good luck waiting 6 months to talk to him about this ... x( x( }( Now that we got you going }( }(

Also another note, if your thinking about having your tubes tied, if you do it when your young, under 33. Once you get older, there is a chance of them becomeing untied. Or anyway, you having a very unexpected baby, as the procedure no longer is doing it's job. I've met serval women who have had babies after years of of having their tubes tied, and no problems at all. Only to find out, one day they were pregent. So do check why type of prodecure and what type of stay rate it has, on-line threw the medical sites before optioning for one.

The vascectomy is actually the easiest and fastest procedure with much smaller risks involved.

Kit

Hah! Mary funny you should say that, after this whole thing got started I was standing at the window watching my DH split wood, I was cutting my eyes at him through the window and thinking "selfish &^%$$!" LOL. I may find a way to casually bring it up over dinner tonight....}(

I don't think I could get a tubal at 36? Plus isn't that way more expensive than a vasectomy?

Sparrow

Sparrow ,oh my gosh your last post made me giggle .sorry . A vasectomy is like 600$. Getting your tubes tied is like 5 grand .Oh my gosh if you need any one phrasers let me know I got a few up my sleave ..}( }( I'm so bad }( I will help you in anyway ..hang in there .

I'm 37 and I just had my tubal in March. I know women of all ages who have had them.

Mine was probably $2,000 - 3,000, but my insurance covered 90%. Vasectomies are definitely cheaper, though.

Erica

DH and I are both self-employed so what insurance we can afford is the pits. They won't pay for a doctors appointment never mind tubal or vasectomy.

to my surprise when I oh so casually mentioned this tonight my DH said, 'actually, I did a little research on my own. I'm not as opposed as I was before.' Imagine my shock....

Sparrow

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.