Ikea question

sancho

Cathlete
Sorry to post something so completely off topic, but I'm desperate.

I bought some white Expedit bookcases from Ikea for my daughters' rooms (absolutely love them, by the way). I want to also buy a bookcase from the Billy group (in white) for their rooms. Can anyone tell me if the whites will work together in the same room (they won't be right next to each other, so it doesn't have to be a perfect match)? It says that one is acrylic and the other is foil. And the verbage specifically says that the Lack product coordinates with the Expedit. I'm not sure if that means the Billy won't work.

I tried calling the Ikea customer service, but I don't trust the woman I spoke with as she didn't have pieces in front of her. She was just looking at online pictures (like I couldn't do that ???). I've also posted the question on an Ikea forum but haven't gotten any answers.

If anyone out there is familiar with Ikea and could help me, I would be so greatful.

Thanks.

Lauren

Obsessed Ikea fan over here!! My home is approx. 80% Ikea stuff (not kidding). I am there at least 1-2X/month. I love Ikea on so many levels. For Christmas I was given a $200 gift card for Ikea. Everyone knows I am a die hard fan!!

Here in Canada, all the white furniture pretty much looks the same. I am assuming in the USA, it's like that too. I would not worry about it NOT matching, it will do just fine. They are all the same if you ask me, just different names for the pieces (you know Ikea has a billion different names for stuff. Take their curtains, blankets, pillows, even spoons, everything has a name!!!). All a part of their wonderful and genius marketing strategy IMO. Funny you ask this, my DH said we had to get a new DVD/CD shelf as now my workout DVD's have taken over and he has nowhere to put his Blu-Rays. Guess what? Trip to IKEA!! Black/brown high shelf. Forgot the name, but I'm sure one of the vowels has a Diaeresis over it :)

Hope that helps!

Natasha

(oh and if you are still uncertain, take a walk through their showroom and look at the bookcases. They will all be showcased and you can see up close & personal what they look like. TRIP TO IKEA!!!)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. You did give me comfort. I have been through the show room, but the two types (Billy vs Expedit) are in different rooms and I can't tell if the colors are the same. Based on what you've said, I think I'm obsessing and need to chill out.

I am a new Ikea convert. I am SO in love with what I bought for the girls' rooms. I can't believe the quality for the price. The store closest to me is 2 hours away. I drove there a few weeks ago to get the pieces and even though the computer said it was in stock, it wasn't there when I arrived. I had to leave empty handed (4 hours wasted in the car). I was SO mad. But I love the stuff so much, I drove back 2 days later when the pieces had come in. I'll make the drive again over the next few weeks to get the Billy bookcase and a bunch of other small stuff. I think I'm going to use the 4 cubby Expedit (with drawers) as bedside tables.

Another IKEA fan here! :) Proud owner of the Hemnes bedroom series, a few expedits (to house my scrapbook albums - they fit perfectly!) and some odds and ends pieces like the picture ledge (recent purchase - squeeee!), some pictures frames, etc. I go to the Minneapolis IKEA. It's the closest one to me - also at 4 hours away. Sometimes I wish we had an IKEA here in town .... but that would probably be dangerous!! :p

Yes, IKEA Fan here too!! My nearest store is a safe two hours away.
As for the furniture, I understood that all lines can work together.
I, too, use the website for information because it is accurate of my purchases of my three chairs and my dining room set.
Some MI Cathletes here are IKEA experts, hopefully, they will give their input. They gave me the "how-tos" on shopping, etc.
Give us an update and let us know how it works for you.

Hi there!

Out of curiosity, I just looked on-line at the Expedit & Billy. Surprise, I have both of those products (I forget the names usually), white is white, it should definitely work (I have black/brown). But I am very familiar with the products, like I said previously. I have memorized the showroom :eek:.

I have been going to Ikea for 15 years now. Mine is a close 30min drive. I used to live 15min beside one awhile back. Very dangerous. That's how I have accumulated so many products. Can you believe that in Toronto alone, there are 3!!!!! Just outside Toronto, there is another one. That's the location I am going to now. FYI, their garlic press is amazing!! Great quality. Also, they have really pretty lights in the shape of flowers, bugs, even a sun, that goes on the wall & ceiling for the kids bedroom. My daughter has them, she loves em'. I can go on and on about my Ikea stuff. It is truly a love affair. Oh, the food, HELLO YUMMY. Have you ever had lunch there? Check it out! Very inexpensive, you can feed the whole family for cheap.

Let me know how you do!

Natasha

Yes, I've had the Chicken Cesear Salad with fruit one day. Another time, I had Swedish meatballs and the chocolate cake. Last time, back to the salad with the apple cake.
Plus, I have the IKEA Family card too which gives you extras like free coffee.

Thanks for the feedback on the "white is white" thing. I'm planning to go next week. I haven't eaten there. I'll try it this time.

I completely understand your Ikea love affair. I love googling pictures of Ikea rooms and looking at the Ikea Hackers website.

I was planning to do 2 of the Expedit 2 X 2 with drawers for my daughters bedside tables. But maybe I'll use one of the Hemnes series.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.