If you had to give up high heels or cardio.......

That's a tough one.....

I love shoes!!! Flats, like ballet flats, hurt my feet. And low heels (kitten heels) hurt my knees. I can strut around in 4 inch heels all day every day. Plus, they show off all the hard-work legs and booty. Butts in jeans don't look the same in flats as they do in heels.

I can't wear gym shoes all the time.

Can't give up my cardio, either.

Laura, you've made quite the dilemma for the day :p

Nan

Gave up high heels years ago (like 15+) and have not regretted it! I respect my feet too much to put them through the torture. Even if I still wore high heels, I would give them up in an instant if the choice was working out and being healthy or wearing high heel shoes. On the other hand, I am SO not into fashion. I wear comfortable high performance clothing (think Lucy) and Birkenstocks (think actual shoes, not just the sandals).

Butts in jeans don't look the same in flats as they do in heels.

Nan

I would have to say that I agree. :cool: BUT, I got enough to go around, so it's not so bad (Hey, all that squatting and deadlifting gotta come in handy eventually).... LOL

That's a tough one.....

I love shoes!!! Flats, like ballet flats, hurt my feet. And low heels (kitten heels) hurt my knees. I can strut around in 4 inch heels all day every day. Plus, they show off all the hard-work legs and booty. Butts in jeans don't look the same in flats as they do in heels.

I can't wear gym shoes all the time.

Can't give up my cardio, either.

Laura, you've made quite the dilemma for the day :p

Nan

LOL! It is a dilemma, isn't it? Listen, I suffer every darn day whether I wear heels or not. I have PF, tendonitis and heel spurs (hence the close relationship w/my podiatrist). But it appears I'm a minority of one. Which is not unusual for me. :D

RapidBreath, your post made me laugh. How can high heels not make you look taller when they MAKE you taller? Why does everyone guess my height at 5'5" or 5'6" when I'm really 5'3"? ;)

I think if I could find flats that made me feel pretty & feminine I'd consider a switch. But other than sandals, I cannot stand flat soled shoes. They make me feel like I look like my Nana. :p

I think if I could find flats that made me feel pretty & feminine I'd consider a switch. But other than sandals, I cannot stand flat soled shoes. They make me feel like I look like my Nana. :p

Laura, I feel the same way about flats. I know there are cute ones out there, but they are just not for me. I don't always wear super high heels, but everything I wear has some heel on it. And I'm 5'7" tall, so I certainly don't need the height. I just think that all clothes look better with heels.

Also, super flat sandals.... those with paper thin soles.... make my feet hurt. I need some support, and shoes that are completely flat don't provide that.

I LOVE shoes!!! I have so many beautiful pairs of high heels that I enjoy wearing - there is nothing like peeking down at a pretty pair of shoes - it is one of my joys in life. I endure some pain sometimes from wearing them - and sometimes I alternate with flats which I love as well.

I'd give up the cardio - it is over rated anyway. :D

Neither.

I'm 5' 8" so not height-challenged but never wear less than 2-3 inch heel and never more than that. I loathe flats shoes. I don't have to choose because I don't wear cheap, high heeled shes or snadals that kill the feet. I choose brands that offer cushioned foot beds and a wider heel base to walk on, and while they cost more, I have them for life or until they fall apart on me so the cost if effective in my case.

Cardio keeps me sane. Heels are who I am. When I have my heeled boots on, I know I am ready to face the world for the day. I'm not giving either up, nor do I actually have to choose as I never experience pain. Ladies: why would you choose heels that hurt?

Clare

I love the way heels look, unfortunately, I never could get used to wearing them, and just can't endure the pain, I have tried, and can last about 20 minutes tops on my feet, I do wear boots with heels, just not real skinny heels, so that's my compromise. :D

Neither.

Cardio keeps me sane. Heels are who I am. When I have my heeled boots on, I know I am ready to face the world for the day. I'm not giving either up, nor do I actually have to choose as I never experience pain. Ladies: why would you choose heels that hurt?

Clare

I don't wear heels that hurt, who would want to do that? OUCH!!! You can buy cute heels that don't hurt. :) Hurty heels HURT!:mad::mad::mad: Unhappy feet.

I also have big feet, size 10, so flat feet make my feet look like flippers!!!

Nan

I also have big feet, size 10, so flat feet make my feet look like flippers!!!

Nan

OOOhhh, ok, I feel your pain now ;) . I do think that the smaller the feet, the easier it is to get away w/the flat "look", lol. I mean, anyone can wear them if they want, but they do tend to have that "cute" look on smaller feet. My feet are neither big nor small (7.5), some flats I can get away w/but others make my feet look about 2-3 sizes bigger... :confused:

Clare

My problem is ALL shoes hurt. Even sneakers. Of course high heels hurt more, but I'm used to the pain so I'm keeping them no matter what. :p

I'll start off by saying that I'd never give up my workouts. :)

I do have a couple of pairs of heels and when the weather gets nicer I want to wear them more. The problem is that, even though I'm an average height by myself (5'5"), I know a lot of short people. I don't know why, but I'm surrounded by people who are either shorter than me, my height, or BARELY taller than me. So if I wore high heels, I'd look like an Amazon in many situations. And even average-height men would look a little funny next to me.

Aside from that, while I'm aware that heels can be evil (especially at wedding receptions), they are also pretty. And they do make your legs and your butt look better.

So does cardio. :p

I gave up heels about 2 years ago. After years of wearing them, and thinking they looked great, and that I could somehow exercise through any foot problems. After a couple of bouts of minor foot problems, and then a major problem painful severe enough that I was using a cane for a couple of weeks and could barely even walk, and a friend who had to have painful bunion surgery at age 49, I said FORGET IT. Nothing it worth that. So I will keep the cardio, and I have switched over entirely to barefoot/minimalist shoes. My feet are now usually ok and comfortable. I am 53 now, and I often wish I could go back in time to my 20 year old self and say NEVER NEVER NEVER wear high heels or uncomfortable shoes, of any kind, for any length of time. You won't realize the damage they do, until it's nearly too late.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.