If you can't feel it...?

joyjoy

Cathlete
If you can't feel it is it doing anything? I am really trying to get my triceps to show more definition before sleeveless weather hits. I do pyr. upper and the GS series and I work my UB every other day. On the triceps section of pyr. upper really have a hard time feeling the kickbacks with the 5 , 8 and 10 lbs. I usually start with 12 then try 15. I guess we're all different. Perhaps I am doing them wrong. What do you guys find to be the best tricep exercises.

Unless you are very strong, and lifting like over 30# for dumbell chest presses, I don't see how you can do 15# on kickbacks (an isolation move) and just be using the triceps.

I don't particularly like kickbacks, because I don't think they give a lot of bang for the buck. Bodybuilders use them for shaping and 'finishing off' the muscle, but you've got to have a muslce there to finish off for them to work the best.

I prefer lying extensions (lie prone, with arms towards ceiling, and lower your hands towards your forhead (these are sometimes called "skullcrushers" when done with a barbell, but don't take the name literally!;-) ). You can do them with a barbell or with dumbbells. You can usually lift heavier with a barbell, so that's good for the first set, but I like to use dumbbells for some sets at least. Not only can you change the hand position (palms facing forward or towards each other) but you can add a twist (start at bottom with palms facing in, then turn them to face out at the top of the move) to engage more of the tricep muscle (since the triceps have three functions: to straighten the elbow, to pronate the hand--turn it to a palms-down position; and to help lift the arm behind the body).

Another move I like is a 1-arm overhead extenstion at an angle. Sit so that you are leaning towards one side let's say left). Hold a dumbbell in your right hand, and perform a 1-arm extension. I find that on THESE I can use 15# dumbbells and they isolate the triceps nicely.

There are also 1-arm tricep push-ups done while lying on your side, or triceps dips.

And if you do boxing/kickboxing, the punches help tone the arms.

That's REALLY heavy for triceps. I would follow Kathyrn's suggestions here for alternate exercises, or have someone else check your form. I personally prefer lying extensions as Cathe does in GS triceps. I always sub these for kickbacks, which just don't do it for me, either.

Good luck,
Marie

I've found that plain old pushups and dips give me the best tricep definition, and I do my dips with my feet elevated. From there you could progress to a dip station if you have access to one.
Just Do It! :)

Bear in mind your triceps are a bunch of 3 muscles together, so it takes a lot more to feel soreness. I do kickbacks w/25+ lbs (usually have a platemate or two on there) & they're still relatively easy.

There are a variety of cable exercises that really help build strength & definition (triangle bar push-downs, one armed pull downs, two armed pull downs). IMO the triceps are the hardest muscle to really build with at home workouts only.

I have found that the Gym Style triceps workout is the only workout I've ever done that pump up my triceps, and I'm always sore the next day. I think the band work is what gets in there and really pumps it up.

I would also try the Slow and Heavy Series for Triceps and Biceps. I just tried it the other day and wow! I could really feel the burn . I didn't use as heavy of a weight as Cathe and crew, but the weight I used gave me a great workout; she does 3 sets of 8 reps for each exercise. I felt sore for a few days afterwards. This workout is challenging, but it can be modified and I think this is a good plateau breaking workout. Well good luck! ;-)

Everyone has given you good advice. I really saw my tricep definition improve from doing lots of lying triceps extenstions with dumbbells. You don't have to go really heavy either. I didn't necessarily get sore the next day either, but most of the time I did.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.